Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Really? I thought it was pretty good for IR from a distance. Looks cat like with a bushy tail. We have historically had more greys than reds here, but it’s been awhile. 

I rarely see them. Once in a great while. If anyone's looking for cheap game camera I highly recommend these. Much better than most of the expensive ones I've had. Great time lapse too.

https://govicture.com/collections/trail-camera/products/victure-hc300-wildlife-camera-20mp-1080p-trail-game-camera

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I rarely see them. Once in a great while. If anyone's looking for cheap game camera I highly recommend these. Much better than most of the expensive ones I've had. Great time lapse too.

https://govicture.com/collections/trail-camera/products/victure-hc300-wildlife-camera-20mp-1080p-trail-game-camera

Yeah I have a trail cam that I use near the run. This is from my stardot backyard cam that saves images every 20s for timelapses…not an up close shot with motion sensor triggering. So it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Lovely - yet dreadfully boring weather - so here's a barn update. Still need to knock out the cupola, but nearly done with framing and sheathing. Getting a nice patina on that CDX. Underlayment and house wrap soon.

Also, I only slipped and needed my harness to save my life once while nailing down that roof sheathing.

20240903_131753compressed.jpg

20240903_131842compressed.jpg

20240903_132246compressed.jpg

20240903_132314compressed.jpg

20240903_132604compressed.jpg

20240903_165320compressed.jpg

• Like 9

Shut my thumb in the car door an hour ago. This is some next level pain..may have to go to the er and get it drilled and drained. This is after the finger right next to it finally had the nail grow back in after slamming it in February. 

• Sad 4

Shut my thumb in the car door an hour ago. This is some next level pain..may have to go to the er and get it drilled and drained. This is after the finger right next to it finally had the nail grow back in after slamming it in February. 

I dropped a piece of firewood on my barefoot big toe and broke it, ended up getting the nail pulled and a new one grew back, did it again a few months later and just have a gnarly looking nail this time. Didn't grow back right.

• Like 1

10 or so years ago I had a friend drop a snowboard on my toe in the parking lot at Vail.  Off the chart pain until I did the late night surgical drainage with a sterilized push pin.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

10 or so years ago I had a friend drop a snowboard on my toe in the parking lot at Vail.  Off the chart pain until I did the late night surgical drainage with a sterilized push pin.  

Ok thanks for that tip. I sterilized a #60 drillbit and hand drilled right through it above the cuticle. It isn’t pretty, but the pain is only a 5 now instead of a 9. I’m not sure if I should make a few holes as there’s still a slow trickle coming out of the hole as I type.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Ok thanks for that tip. I sterilized a #60 drillbit and hand drilled right through it above the cuticle. It isn’t pretty, but the pain is only a 5 now instead of a 9. I’m not sure if I should make a few holes as there’s still a slow trickle coming out of the hole as I type.

Years ago, I helped a friend get that kind of relief, using a piece of steel wire, burning thru by repeated heating (with matches) and twisting.  For my 2 hammer-blow nail-smashes, middle finger and later the thumb, I was too wimpy to try such things and lived with the pain.

11 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I dropped a piece of firewood on my barefoot big toe and broke it, ended up getting the nail pulled and a new one grew back, did it again a few months later and just have a gnarly looking nail this time. Didn't grow back right.

Something similar happened to me.  I dropped part of a complete staircase (seriously - we were building a house for a young NE Patriot player named John Stephens) and it was a custom staircase that had been ordered from a mill.  Oops.

A while later I went to a podiatrist(?) who yanked the nail and the new one has been funky ever since.

• Like 2

Finally had a look at the east half of our woodlot - had to await some knee therapy first - to see how that portion had fared in the winds of Dec 18.  Saw very little damage and what had tipped was in places we had not entered during the 2013 timber harvest.  That operation produced 50 cords of hardwood pulp/firewood and 160 cords of fir (plus 3 spruce trees) and 90% of that fir was cut on the east half - made a difference.  Most of the trees lost in the west half were beyond where I had painted trees, as the fir was big but too sparse (3-5 cords/acre) to ask the chopper to extend another thousand feet farther from the log yard.
Saw considerable deer sign but neither scrapes or rubs; the latter should be appearing now as it's time to shed velvet.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Doesn’t do it justice. On its web it’s like the size of a silver dollar. 

IMG_5338.jpeg

Looks like the wolf spiders we see around our place.  We have no problems with them unless they're working near the hummingbird feeders (which were taken down for the season today).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Surely you’ve seen much bigger ones on the docks of Winni.

The guys on my porches grow to monstrous levels.  When insects are plentiful, the spiders feast.  Those things can have bodies an inch or more in diameter, just gorging on river valley insects along the open meadows.

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's a Wolf Spider.  Pretty intimidating looking but not super venomous to humans.  Fun to see outside but on the rare occasion they get in my garage or basement they get the shop vac removal.

Isn't wolf and brown spider the same? We always called them brown but to me they look the same.