Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

I dunno 'bout all that 'red flagging' stuff .. sounds sort of click bate-y   

but, i don't actually have a problem with the parenthetic, '  rapid fire frequency' - at least in principle.

it fits the emergence of the velocity biased hemisphere during winters, a leitmotif that kicked in about about 12 or 15 years ago and has been raging more than not ever since.   the higher speed basal state would suggest faster system translation speeds, so naturally ..they don't hang around as long, and cycle between them quicker.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I went out for firewood one night and there was one sitting on my stonewall, I put my spotlight on him and he froze and just stared to the side, I also had one cross the road in front of me when I was on the back roads by Quabbin, beautiful animals.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I went out for firewood one night and there was one sitting on my stonewall, I put my spotlight on him and he froze and just stared to the side, I also had one cross the road in front of me when I was on the back roads by Quabbin, beautiful animals.

Likely a bobcat. I'm not sure they've ever spotted lynx in Massachusetts.

59 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Likely a bobcat. I'm not sure they've ever spotted lynx in Massachusetts.

Probably but I thought they were the same, sure looks like the one I saw but I'm not a cat expert.

Edit, think you nailed it, the one's I saw didn't have that tuft on their ears like a lynx, still quite a sight to see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I had a dog run into the fairway and ran away with my ball but this would be so much cooler.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Probably but I thought they were the same, sure looks like the one I saw but I'm not a cat expert.

Edit, think you nailed it, the one's I saw didn't have that tuft on their ears like a lynx, still quite a sight to see.

The other differences are the longer hind legs and furry "snowshoe" feet of the lynx, the former being much easier to spot.  They are slowly replacing bobcats north to south in Maine, with both species occurring on the same range mostly at the line of advance.  When we lived in Fort Kent (76-85) only bobcats were being trapped there.

Those golf course animals look like bob-kittens.

• Like 1

Lost my dad to cancer yesterday after a short three month battle. He passed away peacefully at MGH. Last week, we were just talking about tuning up his snow blower for this season. Losing a parent, and one that I was so close to, is so hard. Going to miss the big guy. 

• Sad 11

51 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Lost my dad to cancer yesterday after a short three month battle. He passed away peacefully at MGH. Last week, we were just talking about tuning up his snow blower for this season. Losing a parent, and one that I was so close to, is so hard. Going to miss the big guy. 

Even when the loss is not much of a surprise, the hurt is deep.  My parents passed more than 30 years ago.  I still miss them but also have some wonderful memories.  May your memories provide some solace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Like Tamarack mentioned....... I was 25 when I lost my Dad to cancer (1988) he was 71, I'm 61, 36 years later, I think about him everyday, my mom passed at 91 years old,  7 years ago, its tough, very tough. Keep the good thoughts with you, if you believe in faith, a little prayer never hurts. My thoughts with you and your family.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So sorry for your loss. It's the little things like tuning up snowblowers that you'll remember always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that, I lost both my parents within the last 10 years and it was a tough time. Remember the good times and it's a natural progression of life. Hope he didn't suffer much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry man. He’ll always be with you, in snowstorms and everything else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is a new kind of hurt. It’s deep, but I know he’s in a better place free from pain.  He left this world a little better than when he got here. 

That’s the right attitude my friend.  
Best wishes and maybe he will send you a snowstorm to remember!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1