Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

26 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Everything is about to go on sale!  Buy good companies at a discount if you can. 

This is when riches are made. I may increase my biweekly contributions actually. The key is to not look at your portfolio too often and freak out about the red numbers. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Down over 1200 points to start the day yikes

There are circuit breakers in place.  It can only fall so far before trading is halted.

After all, they can’t let a $200 trillion dollar derivatives market unwind…

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This is when riches are made. I may increase my biweekly contributions actually. The key is to not look at your portfolio too often and freak out about the red numbers. 

When we get our monthly statement in the mail my wife throws them away without opening them, it's worked so far. Last time this happened my gold stocks soared after a little while. Made ten times my money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

When we get our monthly statement in the mail my wife throws them away without opening them, it's worked so far. Last time this happened my gold stocks soared after a little while. Made ten times my money.

When people are in full blown panic mode they do not think at all. That is when the "calmer heads" prevail and make money.

** Hopefully she shreds those statements!

• Like 1

Just now, mreaves said:

Is it really that much of an imposition?

to discuss high dews, certainly not!!.. current dew point is 68!!...not as bad of a falloff as the stock market but still lower than the recent swamp of Louisiana readings...

What is your current dew point???

3 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

When people are in full blown panic mode they do not think at all. That is when the "calmer heads" prevail and make money.

** Hopefully she shreds those statements!

When people are panicking, that’s when you buy. When you are seeing shit like “Buy Tesla, it’s up 100% in the past 6 months and is showing no signs of stopping”, you are too late.

• Like 2

A lot of cliche advice floating around.   Sounds simple:  'buy on the dips' but that ignores the possibility of a sharpening correction and chasing added losses to the point of wasting years waiting to ride an improving mkt back to the starting point.  Dollar cost averaging notwithstanding, it's not like there's no downside to buying during a selloff.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wokeupthisam said:

A lot of cliche advice floating around.   Sounds simple:  'buy on the dips' but that ignores the possibility of a sharpening correction and chasing added losses to the point of wasting years waiting to ride an improving mkt back to the starting point.  Dollar cost averaging notwithstanding, it's not like there's no downside to buying during a selloff.  

As with much in life, there’s a lot more nuance than just the simple phrase/answer.  If it was just that easy, everyone would do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

to discuss high dews, certainly not!!.. current dew point is 68!!...not as bad of a falloff as the stock market but still lower than the recent swamp of Louisiana readings...

What is your current dew point???

The bigger question is what is you current douche point?  Seems pretty high.

• Haha 4

Never ever sell assets during a steep downturn.  In general, unless you’re a day trader, stay the course.  A diversified portfolio will protect against extremes.   But locking in losses is simply dumb.   If you’re > 5 years from retirement, equities should dominate.   Heck even within retirement I have a healthy % of assets in equities.  But I have protection with other instruments available to avoid a catastrophe.  Always think big picture.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, George001 said:

When people are panicking, that’s when you buy. When you are seeing shit like “Buy Tesla, it’s up 100% in the past 6 months and is showing no signs of stopping”, you are too late.

Correct!!...yep in 99% of all cases the big "run" has been missed...

55 minutes ago, wokeupthisam said:

There is downside risk to getting out of bed in the morning....of course there is always going to be downside risk but it is next to impossible to invest in the stock market  without accepting the risk(s) of losing money.....sure people can invest in funds with very low return rates BUT they will often miss out on larger gains because of the fear of losing money. Those people are best suited to put money into CD's.

Being too conservative can be just as bad as being too aggressive.

• Like 3