Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, Sled said:

Alright, I wasn't sure. I'm coming from a perspective of hardwood lumber in which they are both lumped in together along with a few other types just as 'poplar'. Always looking to learn more.

In Maine, at least where I've worked, "popple" serves for the 3 Populus species:  Quaking aspen (P. tremuloides), Bigtooth aspen (P. grandidentata) and Balsam poplar (P. balsamifera).  Tulip poplar, aka yellow poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), isn't native to Maine but is occasionally planted.  there's one in Farmington 40-45" diameter and 80+ feet tall, on High Street in front of the Octagon House.  Tulip tree has soft clear wood, somewhat similar to that of bigtooth aspen, though the latter is lighter in color.
Growing up in NNJ, we used "poplar" for any broadleafed tree with soft wood, including basswood.  :wacko:

25 feet?  Ginxy is looking for a sawmill with a loooong carriage!

• Like 3

My dad just finished day one of chemo. Man, does cancer suck. Like really, really suck. I knew it sucked, but until it hit home, I didn’t realize the magnitude of suck. Hope everyone out there is having a nice Saturday. Enjoy the nice weather, your health, your family and friends, and forget the rest. Sorry to get all mushy…it’s just been a roller coaster few weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

My dad just finished day one of chemo. Man, does cancer suck. Like really, really suck. I knew it sucked, but until it hit home, I didn’t realize the magnitude of suck. Hope everyone out there is having a nice Saturday. Enjoy the nice weather, your health, your family and friends, and forget the rest. Sorry to get all mushy…it’s just been a roller coaster few weeks. 

Best of luck man.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Sorry to hear it. Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

He will beat the suck. Stay positive. All the best!

• Thanks 1

Bears everywhere lately. I think they are hilariously curious creatures.

From a friend in Stowe… “what you cooking in there?”

IMG_9908.thumb.jpeg.154099de6720afd1e8a477eb54dbb914.jpeg

Theres a video of this bear swinging in a hammock down in Waitsfield (MRG, Sugarbush area).

IMG_9883.thumb.jpeg.973c84931ef33f5751fcc19a76553944.jpeg

And another friend had a bear basically asking him if he wanted to just open the trash shed, or if he, the bear, should just remove the boards one by one until he got in.

IMG_9813.thumb.jpeg.a77266d3e779fb881f5fd44318c569e7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Bears everywhere lately. I think they are hilariously curious creatures.

From a friend in Stowe… “what you cooking in there?”

IMG_9908.thumb.jpeg.154099de6720afd1e8a477eb54dbb914.jpeg

Theres a video of this bear swinging in a hammock down in Waitsfield (MRG, Sugarbush area).

IMG_9883.thumb.jpeg.973c84931ef33f5751fcc19a76553944.jpeg

And another friend had a bear basically asking him if he wanted to just open the trash shed up or if the bear should just remove the boards one by one until he got in.

IMG_9813.thumb.jpeg.a77266d3e779fb881f5fd44318c569e7.jpeg

They had those steel “bear proof” trash cans everywhere in the UP. Probably time for Vermont to start upgrading. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

They had those steel “bear proof” trash cans everywhere in the UP. Probably time for Vermont to start upgrading. 

There's been quite a few bears spotted in my area lately, they usually go after people's bird feeders, I don't have one, but I live across from the woods where they've been spotted.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

How come only VT has bears like that? Is it just potheads dressed up in bear suits looking for munchies?

Your bears don’t break into cars and act like stoned teenagers looking for snacks?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

So this happened yesterday evening. This wasn’t all of them either. I think there was 7. 

Is this unusual for this time of year or are they likely mama’s (bigger) babies?

image.png

I was walking my dog last year about this time of year and saw the same things only the babies were smaller. I think the white fur makes them look bigger, the ones I saw were almost all black with a little white stripe.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I was walking my dog last year about this time of year and saw the same things only the babies were smaller. I think the white fur makes them look bigger, the ones I saw were almost all black with a little white stripe.

It must be some local genetic thing because every skunk I’ve seen here is mostly white. Probably some adaptation from all of the snow that I steal.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It must be some local genetic thing because every skunk I’ve seen here is mostly white. Probably some adaptation from all of the snow that I steal.

When I first saw them, I didn't see the mother, I thought it was a couple kittens till I saw the mother and 5 kits, then I knew. We had a real issue a couple years ago with skunks, neighborhood pets were getting sprayed, my dog got sprayed one night too. Then, they all disappeared, my brother said someone in the neighborhood trapped them and relocated them because he got sick of his cat and dog getting sprayed.

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Thats a lot of white.  The two that have smoked my dog in her life were largely black with a narrow white stripe down them.

@RUNNAWAYICEBERGand any other world football fans.  The Georgia/Portugal game was incredible.  The biggest upset in a major tournament ever.  World #74 beat #6.  I thought Costa Rica beating Brazil the other night was pretty good but this was even better.  There has been some quality games in the Euro and Copa America over the last week or two.

44 minutes ago, mreaves said:

@RUNNAWAYICEBERGand any other world football fans.  The Georgia/Portugal game was incredible.  The biggest upset in a major tournament ever.  World #74 beat #6.  I thought Costa Rica beating Brazil the other night was pretty good but this was even better.  There has been some quality games in the Euro and Copa America over the last week or two.

Yes, great match from Georgia. Portugal rested some starters but still put out a pretty good side. Saw the end of Czechia and Turkiye and it looked like a crazy match with the ref losing control. Some great football so far but pretty disappointing from England, Belgium and France. 

On 6/22/2024 at 5:35 PM, Harmonie said:

Aww! I love guinea pigs! Sadly, not in a place to take one right now.

But danggg so some woman had all 51 of those guinea pigs in her apartment? :blink:

I have 3 and don't have any more room. Just adopted my third last weekend. The oldest is 8. Love my old man.