Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'd like to try it, but it doesn't look appetizing, of course I'll try anything, you never know. I wouldn't touch a steamer until I was about 12 and now, they're one of my favorite foods.

My wife is picky and loves them. The key is to get fruit from people growing the selected cultivars. The wild ones can have a chemical/bitter aftertaste. I got these from someone in Marlborough…not too far from you. If you look up Timothy from Ockoo Microfarm he may have some left. $8/lb

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Another pawpaw story, looks like Dendrite's a man ahead of his time.

This American fruit could outcompete apples and peaches on a hotter planet

They’re really homegrower friendly…maybe moreso than any other fruit. American persimmons may be close. 

They’re native so they’re pretty much disease free. So there’s no spraying for pests or diseases. You don’t need to prune them. You can plant them really close together. Mine are planted 8ft apart as it helps with pollination. The only thing is they don’t compete well with grass and weeds when they’re young and they are heavy, heavy feeders. They want their fertile compost/soil and regular nitrogen.

I experimented with diluted 46-0-0 urea granules in water this year and applied some daily and they responded well. I think it was like 2.5oz granules per 5gal bucket of water. I use the neutral pH condensed water from my dehumidifier so the urea brings the pH down to a number similar to rainwater. But they’re a cool little tree and I recommend people to grow them even if it’s just for their ornamental value. They’re also very deer resistant after the first time they nibble a leaf. Raccoons, possums, and squirrels will potentially go for the fruit though. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They’re really homegrower friendly…maybe moreso than any other fruit. American persimmons may be close. 

They’re native so they’re pretty much disease free. So there’s no spraying for pests or diseases. You don’t need to prune them. You can plant them really close together. Mine are planted 8ft apart as it helps with pollination. The only thing is they don’t compete well with grass and weeds when they’re young and they are heavy, heavy feeders. They want their fertile compost/soil and regular nitrogen.

I experimented with diluted 46-0-0 urea granules in water this year and applied some daily and they responded well. I think it was like 2.5oz granules per 5gal bucket of water. I use the neutral pH condensed water from my dehumidifier so the urea brings the pH down to a number similar to rainwater. But they’re a cool little tree and I recommend people to grow them even if it’s just for their ornamental value. They’re also very deer resistant after the first time they nibble a leaf. Raccoons, possums, and squirrels will potentially go for the fruit though. 

I might plant a couple in Maine when we move up there next year, also a couple other fruit trees, not sure yet, depends on what the lot looks like after building.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I'm rooting for the Yankees because the last time the Yankees won was in 2009 and the winter right after they won was great. 

It was probably my most frustrating snow season since moving to Maine, also the only winter in geologic time that CAR had less snow than BWI.  The last Dodgers-Yankees WS was 1963, and we did quite nicely in NNJ the following winter.

On 10/20/2024 at 9:17 AM, dendrite said:

ChatGPT says they are not native. Is there any evidence of non-cultivated pawpaws in New Hampshire or Vermont?

image.png.ece567b3999b9883bfe66dd150122b71.png

15 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

ChatGPT says they are not native. Is there any evidence of non-cultivated pawpaws in New Hampshire or Vermont?

image.png.ece567b3999b9883bfe66dd150122b71.png

And a quick google search says they are. They are found from the Midwest to New England in general.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And a quick google search says they are. They are found from the Midwest to New England in general.

I would trust the Dr. Elbert Little and the U.S. Forest Service over a Google search. Looks like there farthest north native range is far southern Ontario and southwest New York.

Range and Niche Maps for pawpaw Climate Change Atlas - Northern Research Station, USDA Forest Service

image.png.b14ba810c9525b8fb07c0f4fd2c4611b.png

19 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I would trust the Dr. Elbert Little and the U.S. Forest Service over a Google search. Looks like there farthest north native range is far southern Ontario and southwest New York.

Range and Niche Maps for pawpaw Climate Change Atlas - Northern Research Station, USDA Forest Service

image.png.b14ba810c9525b8fb07c0f4fd2c4611b.png

There's a lot of literature from places like Academia where it extends a little further north. I'd take that over something from AI.

They’re not native to New England. Long Island and far SW CT is debatable, but i don’t think they are there either. The generally accepted northern range is pretty much what that map depicts…spotty native areas near water in IA/WI near the MS River and then hugging the southern Great Lakes into S MI, S ON, and far W NY. There’s people successfully growing them in MN, VT, NH, and QB now. They’re pretty cold hardy…well down into the -20s. What limits their range is the length of growing season not being conducive for propagation. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They’re not native to New England. Long Island and far SW CT is debatable, but i don’t think they are there either. The generally accepted northern range is pretty much what that map depicts…spotty native areas near water in IA/WI near the MS River and then hugging the southern Great Lakes into S MI, S ON, and far W NY. There’s people successfully growing them in MN, VT, NH, and QB now. They’re pretty cold hardy…well down into the -20s. What limits their range is the length of growing season not being conducive for propagation. 

Yeah should clarify, they are “found”

in New England per literature. But they’re not some invasive species clogging our forests. 

42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah should clarify, they are “found”

in New England per literature. But they’re not some invasive species clogging our forests. 

Yeah they’re not technically native for us, but our forests are pretty similar to PA/MI and they behave nicely there. I have a pawpaw variety that I’m growing from someone in Mass that he says is “wild” to him. So there’s wild populations slowly spreading in SNE. Supposedly this one tastes like pineapple so that will be pretty cool.