Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Who heats with wood pellets up in here?  
I was doing some repairs (the motherboard nuked itself last Spring - I mean a real asteroid strike in circuit board land) on my stove and started thinking about how many tons of pellets have put through that thing since I got it in 2011 - averaging over 5 per year, looking at 70 + tons probably.  Feels like a lot - but probably the wood burners here have that tonnage beat easily.  It is my main heat source, and I also have oil and mini splits for heat as needed.  Hardly use the oil - only when the pellet stove breaks or pellets become scarce.    

Its pellet hoarding season now - one of the winter leading activities I enjoy - sore back notwithstanding.  

15 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

Who heats with wood pellets up in here?  
I was doing some repairs (the motherboard nuked itself last Spring - I mean a real asteroid strike in circuit board land) on my stove and started thinking about how many tons of pellets have put through that thing since I got it in 2011 - averaging over 5 per year, looking at 70 + tons probably.  Feels like a lot - but probably the wood burners here have that tonnage beat easily.  It is my main heat source, and I also have oil and mini splits for heat as needed.  Hardly use the oil - only when the pellet stove breaks or pellets become scarce.    

Its pellet hoarding season now - one of the winter leading activities I enjoy - sore back notwithstanding.  

Guessing ~400-450 tons in our 47 years (77-78 thru 23-24) as we averaged 5+ cords/year and using 3,500 lb/cord for (mostly) air dried wood.  We moved to the back settlement of Fort Kent in Sept 1981 and shoved 9 cords of mostly green wood thru an inefficient stove during a very cold winter.  Better stove/system/firewood lowered that to 6 cd/yr the following 3 winters before we moved south.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

@dendrite Do you have a soy-free feed you can recommend?  Not necessarily corn free, just looking to try soy-free to start.  Assuming it's OK for chicks born in the Spring.  Thanks.

Green mountain feeds would be my suggestion. Someone must carry it there. 

https://www.greenmountainfeeds.com/products/poultry/

• Thanks 1

In "Five Seasons", Roger Angell has a wonderful description of Tiant's windup.  Luis was one of the few who would fully turn his back to the plate as part of the act.

IMO, he belongs in the HOF.  66 WAR plus some post-season heroics ought to be enough.  Only 20 MLB pitchers have tossed more shutouts - that's good company.  He was on 31% of ballots his first year of eligibility and never again got more than 25%, a very odd sequence.  usually, 30%+ in year #1 leads to enshrinement by about year 10.  I was hoping that the Veterans' Committee would vote him in while he was still alive.  :(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In "Five Seasons", Roger Angell has a wonderful description of Tiant's windup.  Luis was one of the few who would fully turn his back to the plate as part of the act.

IMO, he belongs in the HOF.  66 WAR plus some post-season heroics ought to be enough.  Only 20 MLB pitchers have tossed more shutouts - that's good company.  He was on 31% of ballots his first year of eligibility and never again got more than 25%, a very odd sequence.  usually, 30%+ in year #1 leads to enshrinement by about year 10.  I was hoping that the Veterans' Committee would vote him in while he was still alive.  :(

He threw 164 pitches in a playoff game once and pitched great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Nephew out in the deep woods hunting. Meanwhile a herd walks right past his truck:arrowhead:

20241009_100321.jpg

It's 44 years ago but still a clear memory of walking into a spot 1/2 mile from the road to sit where I'd taken a deer 2 years earlier, on a day with continuous light snow.  After several hours I came back to see that 3 deer had walked past the truck, coming within 5 feet of it.  (My intention of catching up to them failed as I was in an open road and was spotted before I saw them.  That was my 5th deer season up north and the first one in which the deer all eluded me.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tamarack said:

It's 44 years ago but still a clear memory of walking into a spot 1/2 mile from the road to sit where I'd taken a deer 2 years earlier, on a day with continuous light snow.  After several hours I came back to see that 3 deer had walked past the truck, coming within 5 feet of it.  (My intention of catching up to them failed as I was in an open road and was spotted before I saw them.  That was my 5th deer season up north and the first one in which the deer all eluded me.

So what's the lesson here? Just sit in your truck and wait for the deer to come to you while you stay warm and comfortable? :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

So what's the lesson here? Just sit in your truck and wait for the deer to come to you while you stay warm and comfortable? :P

that's an option, but you might want to park the truck more than 500 feet from the closest house

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

The wildlife biologist with whom I often traveled for 30 years once (when I wasn't there) encountered an out-of-state hunter sitting in a truck with engine running, parked on a northern Maine logging road.  He stopped to ask if all was well.  The answer was that it was his chum's turn to hunt - one would walk into the woods a few hundred yards and sit on a log and the other would wait a certain number of minutes (30 IIRC) then honk the horn so the first guy could find his way out and make the switch.  :baby:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

The wildlife biologist with whom I often traveled for 30 years once (when I wasn't there) encountered an out-of-state hunter sitting in a truck with engine running, parked on a northern Maine logging road.  He stopped to ask if all was well.  The answer was that it was his chum's turn to hunt - one would walk into the woods a few hundred yards and sit on a log and the other would wait a certain number of minutes (30 IIRC) then honk the horn so the first guy could find his way out and make the switch.  :baby:

Around here you have to walk quite a ways into the woods to see any deer but you guys have much more woods than we do. I see deer in my yard all summer, once fall hits they disappear deeper into the woods.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Credit to OceanStWx for pointing this tweet out 

https://x.com/RyanMaue/status/1846206890063142994

Not sure what's worse....this guy genuinely believing this would work or his followers in the comments adamantly agreeing.

Screenshot_20241016_084428_Chrome.jpg

There is absolutely an argument to be made that urbanization around ASOSs is increasing temperatures by some margin, but like that's where people live and those are real temperatures. 

We know temps are rising in both urban and rural settings, and land use changes are absolutely a driver of changing climate (it's just not a fossil fuel driven change).

• 100% 1

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

There is absolutely an argument to be made that urbanization around ASOSs is increasing temperatures by some margin, but like that's where people live and those are real temperatures. 

We know temps are rising in both urban and rural settings, and land use changes are absolutely a driver of changing climate (it's just not a fossil fuel driven change).

Some change numbers for a rural site are below.  The Farmington co-op records began in 1893 and ended halfway thru October 2022 when the volunteer's health prevented his taking measurements and no one picked up the torch.  (Very sad because this site has the most complete records for any Maine co-op I've found that dates from the 19th century.  Only eleven months are missing and just one month after 1913.)
Up until September of 1966 the obs sites (several) were all in the town center.  After that the site was 1.5 miles north of the center in a rural setting - one 2-lane road with scattered houses and with forest to the east, ag fields on the flood plain to the west.  The numbers below are changes in temperature from the 1970s to the 2010s.  ('60s omitted because 2/3 were in town, '20s omitted because only 2.8 years of obs, though the temperature rise was continuing.)

2010s temps minus 1970s temps
                Year     DJF     DJFM    JJA  
MAX        1.78      2.76     2.97     0.27 
MIN         4.53     8.06     6.61      2.75
MEAN      3.08    5.41      4.58      1.51

Those cold season changes are shocking.  (But it's only one site)

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Some change numbers for a rural site are below.  The Farmington co-op records began in 1893 and ended halfway thru October 2022 when the volunteer's health prevented his taking measurements and no one picked up the torch.  (Very sad because this site has the most complete records for any Maine co-op I've found that dates from the 19th century.  Only eleven months are missing and just one month after 1913.)
Up until September of 1966 the obs sites (several) were all in the town center.  After that the site was 1.5 miles north of the center in a rural setting - one 2-lane road with scattered houses and with forest to the east, ag fields on the flood plain to the west.  The numbers below are changes in temperature from the 1970s to the 2010s.  ('60s omitted because 2/3 were in town, '20s omitted because only 2.8 years of obs, though the temperature rise was continuing.)

2010s temps minus 1970s temps
                Year     DJF     DJFM    JJA  
MAX        1.78      2.76     2.97     0.27 
MIN         4.53     8.06     6.61      2.75
MEAN      3.08    5.41      4.58      1.51

Those cold season changes are shocking.  (But it's only one site)

Just passed Dennis' house the other day for the first time. They still have his NOAA observer sign up despite his passing last December. 

We're absolutely seeing big cool season changes here. We know we have less snow cover days outside of the mountains. But we are also seeing more of what happened in December. Snow that falls in the mountains is "more ripe" and ready to melt when we have the inevitable rainer. In the past the snow would just absorb that rain and we'd move on to the next snow pattern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

yeah, agreed, it's true re the marginal effect. however,  once any objective reality outside just that region of urban expansion is very necessarily included ( much less even considered...) the argument is immediately rendered entirely false. 

op ed:

'climate change non-conforming' philosophy usage/narratives appear to be less clear on a fundamental aspect of nature:  non-linearity of complex systems. 

these cncp debate artists, they only see (X + X + X)  as = 3x   ...  but in fact, nature never works that way.  it always equals 3x' ( prime ) .... a differential of some unintended and/or synergistic reductions, or gains, either way.  nature is messy.  not pointing anyone out in this social media ... i haven't gone back and looked over any posts or exactly attempted to apply a Myers-Briggs assessment to gather truer intent, either... ha

simply put, the atmospheric chemical make up, inside vs outside any city 'expansion', is no different after the fact of AGHG homogeneity ... it's a matter of comparing deltas,

d(rural temperature) = a smaller gain than d(city temperatures). 

lost on most people...

the rest could 'get it' if they wanted, but carry on with some other morality influencing an agenda.  

45 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just passed Dennis' house the other day for the first time. They still have his NOAA observer sign up despite his passing last December. 

We're absolutely seeing big cool season changes here. We know we have less snow cover days outside of the mountains. But we are also seeing more of what happened in December. Snow that falls in the mountains is "more ripe" and ready to melt when we have the inevitable rainer. In the past the snow would just absorb that rain and we'd move on to the next snow pattern.

It was almost a year after data stopped (last day was 10/15/22) before the instrument shelter was removed.

There wasn't all that much snow in the mountains going into the 12/18/23 event though what was there augmented the 4-5" RA.  A year earlier we had a 3" rainstorm on 12/23 but the 22" dump a few days earlier soaked it up, leaving a 12" pack here while the 4" going into 12/18/23 vanished in a flash.  The '22 rain came with 30s and 40s while 12/18/23 had mid 50s, and also a 2.3" rain a week earlier.  That doesn't deny anything you wrote, just that 12/23 was a different animal.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah, agreed, it's true re the marginal effect. however,  once any objective reality outside just that region of urban expansion is very necessarily included ( much less even considered...) the argument is immediately rendered entirely false. 

op ed:

'climate change non-conforming' philosophy usage/narratives appear to be less clear on a fundamental aspect of nature:  non-linearity of complex systems. 

these cncp debate artists, they only see (X + X + X)  as = 3x   ...  but in fact, nature never works that way.  it always equals 3x' ( prime ) .... a differential of some unintended and/or synergistic reductions, or gains, either way.  nature is messy.  not pointing anyone out in this social media ... i haven't gone back and looked over any posts or exactly attempted to apply a Myers-Briggs assessment to gather truer intent, either... ha

simply put, the atmospheric chemical make up, inside vs outside any city 'expansion', is no different after the fact of AGHG homogeneity ... it's a matter of comparing deltas,

d(rural temperature) = a smaller gain than d(city temperatures). 

lost on most people...

the rest could 'get it' if they wanted, but carry on with some other morality influencing an agenda.  

Muh urban heat island effect. All I'm saying Tip is if you had told the people of Washington D.C.  100-odd years ago that places high up in the mountains where 70-80 inches of snow fall each winter would, in the not-so-distant future, have warmer warmers than subtropical Washington, they'd have you locked up in the lunatic asylum.

Downtown D.C. winter mean (1871-72 to 1903-1904)

image.png.f1c4e918e339564d97b7b11803e3d823.png

Elkins, West Virginia winter means (2015-16 to 2023-24), elev. ~2,000 feet, city pop. ~6,900 and Randolph County pop. ~27,800

image.png.4e4132ab99ba05335e64acced7e1724c.png

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Muh urban heat island effect. All I'm saying Tip is if you had told the people of Washington D.C.  100-odd years ago that places high up in the mountains where 70-80 inches of snow fall each winter would, in the not-so-distant future, have warmer warmers than subtropical Washington, they'd have you locked up in the lunatic asylum.

Downtown D.C. winter mean (1871-72 to 1903-1904)

image.png.f1c4e918e339564d97b7b11803e3d823.png

Elkins, West Virginia winter means (2015-16 to 2023-24), elev. ~2,000 feet, city pop. ~6,900 and Randolph County pop. ~27,800

image.png.4e4132ab99ba05335e64acced7e1724c.png

You should do an apples to apples comparison of sample size. 

that comparison is unfortunately less then any usefulness.

we can't compare disparate regions if/when the accumulated data is non-comparable time spans. 

the bigger picture:  also, having occurred at two different ends of a cc curve, one proving to be a non-linear response,  i.e. accelerated(ing), immediately invalidates. 

...but maybe that was sarcastic..

18 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

that comparison is unfortunately less then any usefulness.

we can't compare disparate regions if/when the accumulated data is non-comparable time spans. 

the bigger picture:  also, having occurred at two different ends of a cc curve, one proving to be a non-linear response,  i.e. accelerated(ing), immediately invalidates. 

...but maybe that was sarcastic..

No, not sarcastic. And I like you Tip, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. The sample size was more than the standard 30-year for the historic DC numbers. Yes, the Elkin figures are only 9 years, but this year will be the tenth - does anyone really think it's going to deviate that substantially from the previous 9? A 10-year sample historically would be a good approximation for a 30-year mean centered on that 10 years. I doubt there's ever been an instance [when the climate has been less in flux] where a 10-year mean differed more than about 1F from its corresponding 30-year mean. 10 years is long enough to overcome pretty much any climate cycles. Even the solar cycle is only 11 years, so you're pretty much capturing an entire solar cycle in that sample. I'll grant you right now it's only 9, but winter is coming!