• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
14th Lawn and Garden Thread P Allen Smith 2024

On 7/16/2024 at 6:28 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Crabgrass invasion. The Pre emergent in the spring clearly did not work…

Yeah, it has definitely mixed in with the other grasses/clover this year....sure does look nice when you mow it though. Best the yard has looked since I moved in....

20240717_212158.jpg

20240717_212130.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tomato plants all have the yellow spotted blight but are producing huge volumes of tomatoes  All different types both large and small. Picking many daily despite the blight, Peppers are a huge yield this year too. 

How’s the lawn looking? mine is struggling from lack of rain even though I have irrigation 

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

How’s the lawn looking? mine is struggling from lack of rain even though I have irrigation 

Lush and green. We’ve had almost 6” of rain just this month . In fact a portion of the new grass / soil eroded and washed into the woods . I’m gonna aerate and over seed late Augdewst 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I wish we could send you some of the rains. Seems like another soaker of a week south of 90 . Not as wet as last summer but more than enough rain. Had almost 2” in 30 minutes last Thursday 

This will look even uglier in a couple days when our last inch+ event from 4/30 gets erased. 

image.png

37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This will look even uglier in a couple days when our last inch+ event from 4/30 gets erased. 

image.png

Thats brutal . That was us 2 years ago. Just no rain all summer . Of course this couldn’t be winter . Pike is dividing line with have and have nots . Though would probably be mainly rain in winter now so not sure it’d matter much 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

image.png

That NVT stretch east of the Greens has to be from lack of radar coverage, right (area between Champlain Valley and NNH)?

I guess I’m asking if this is radar generated instead of ground obs generated?

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That NVT stretch east of the Greens has to be from lack of radar coverage, right (area between Champlain Valley and NNH)?

I was thinking the same thing. St. j has had more than 15” since June 1 and KMPV is at it over 11” when I looked late last week. And you posted the cocorahs map. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

55 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I was thinking the same thing. St. j has had more than 15” since June 1 and KMPV is at it over 11” when I looked late last week. And you posted the cocorahs map. 

image.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Here’s the “observed” precip over the past 60 days. Widespread 10-20” in N VT and NH. 2-4” here. :clown:
image.png

Ahh if they are basing it on those amounts, that makes sense.

The yellow and dark green pixels up here are about 50% of actual rainfall.  It should be widespread dark orange.

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

I had not......I had put down some other 'early season' soil nutrients and didnt' want to totally ruin the lawn by having too many things on it at once.

It isn’t fool proof as you’ll always get at least some . But it’s imperative to put down the preventer when the forsythia start to bloom. Once it grows it’s very difficult to get rid of 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I did and it still infested. Just Gotta aerate and overseed in the fall…can’t do anything about it now. 

I have done in newly hydroseeded areas . I expected that to happen. Just have to hope next spring and summer I can eliminate much of it 

If anyone here is near Thomaston, CT and curious about pawpaws…Cricket Hill Nursery has some grafted and seedling trees for sale. They don’t have many grafted varieties, but Shenandoah and NC1 are good ones. NC1 is stronger flavored while Shenandoah is mild. NC1 is also a bit ornamental with deep green/blue leaves. They have a variegated one too, but to my knowledge that one is slow growing. 

You could always grow just the inexpensive seedlings and I can hook you up with scionwood of just about anything out there too. I have about 35 different ones here. 

edit for link 

https://www.treepeony.com/collections/fruits-and-berries-for-shipping/genus_asimina?sort_by=manual

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have done in newly hydroseeded areas . I expected that to happen. Just have to hope next spring and summer I can eliminate much of it 

Dandelions irk me but they tend to fade quickly by June if treated. Crabgrass is an entire different beast whos seeds spread like wildfire…they can’t be stopped. Maddening.

Crabgrass.....Retired GCSAA Golf Course Super here 30 years at 2 Private Country Clubs.  You can certainly keep the crab out, give me your details ( sq. footage and type of grass) and I will help you out!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, ChillinIt said:

Crabgrass.....Retired GCSAA Golf Course Super here 30 years at 2 Private Country Clubs.  You can certainly keep the crab out, give me your details ( sq. footage and type of grass) and I will help you out!

1.5 acres. Type of grass is difficult to say. Northeast mix and….50% crab. 

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Dandelions irk me but they tend to fade quickly by June if treated. Crabgrass is an entire different beast whos seeds spread like wildfire…they can’t be stopped. Maddening.

It really chokes out the good grass, I'll have to wait until fall to do something about it, but this year is the worst since I've been here.