• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
14th Lawn and Garden Thread P Allen Smith 2024

20 hours ago, mreaves said:

Not really lawn related but house related. We are having our house re-sided and some new windows installed. The finished the first side today. 

IMG_4252.jpeg

Today the picture window and basement windows were installed and just about all of the front was completed. 

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

• Like 7

On 5/22/2024 at 6:25 PM, mreaves said:

Today the picture window and basement windows were installed and just about all of the front was completed. 

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

Congrats. Just did the rest of the windows in my house and it’s a game changer. I couldn’t really even open the old ones—original to the house. 

On 5/22/2024 at 8:16 AM, Lava Rock said:

Think I've posted this before, but anyone know what this weed is? Its roots are very hardy but fairly easy to pull out20240522_072741.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Looks like mugwort.  Roots will spread quickly underground.  Can cause pollen allergies like ragweed.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tunafish said:

I picked up a Reel mower at a yard sale last fall.  It's an actual workout using it and kinda fun.  But wouldn't recommend for anything more than a half acre.

I cut our lawn for years when I was a kid with one of those, it wasn't like the new lightweight Worx mower, it was made of oak and weighed a ton. Finally, my father bought a newfangled gas mower when I was about 15 or so, wasn't self propelled and we had a decent size hill in the yard. They cut nicer than new mowers, it's like clipping every blade of grass with scissors.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I cut our lawn for years when I was a kid with one of those, it wasn't like the new lightweight Worx mower, it was made of oak and weighed a ton. Finally, my father bought a newfangled gas mower when I was about 15 or so, wasn't self propelled and we had a decent size hill in the yard. They cut nicer than new mowers, it's like clipping every blade of grass with scissors.

Ha, yep, that's like the one I have.  Probably 15 pounds.  Thought I could get my 9 year old to use it.  Not happening this year, maybe next.

I do love the cut it gives.  Only complaint is I can't wait too long between mowing otherwise the clippings clump and I have to rake after.

On 6/11/2024 at 9:45 PM, tunafish said:

Ha, yep, that's like the one I have.  Probably 15 pounds.  Thought I could get my 9 year old to use it.  Not happening this year, maybe next.

I do love the cut it gives.  Only complaint is I can't wait too long between mowing otherwise the clippings clump and I have to rake after.

The higher the grass the tougher to push, I always cut the grass every week when I was a kid to make it as easy as I could. If I ever move to a house with a small lawn, I'll use the Worx push for the lawn. You can buy several of them to pull behind your tractor like golf courses use. Thought about buying some for my current lawn.

11 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Is it a set up like for mice? I have a couple cats that take of the munks here although they like to play with them and bring them in the house now and then while they're still alive.

I do have the occasional mouse jump in as well. 

32 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I do have the occasional mouse jump in as well. 

I noticed Home Depot now sells those mouse traps with the 5 gallon bucket with the parts you need to set it up. One year I caught over 20 mice in my basement, it gets bad when the weather cools in the fall. I was thinking of setting the bucket up in my basement this year.

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. They’re getting invasive here digging under my front porch creating tunnels from one side to the other. I tried discouraging the area with non lethal home remedies but they refuse to relocate. 

I use the rat zapper on chipmunks. Instant and painless death.  They cause a ton of damage here as well. 

81e2WkC5q6L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

14 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Is it a set up like for mice? I have a couple cats that take of the munks here although they like to play with them and bring them in the house now and then while they're still alive.

Our indoor-only cat (lost several in the past to fishers/coyotes) catches the occasional mouse and loves to play, sometimes losing the little guy completely - to my wife's disgust.  If the dog gets a hold on it, game over.  Home is an L.C. Andrews package, stick-framed with 3-sided white cedar log siding.  Shrinkage allows smaller mice to enter, and when the builders (on their 1st house and it shows) were sheathing, they left a 1/2" space between plywood and upper plate, so anything that can wriggle thru the logs has free access to entertain the cat.