326 PM EDT Sat Jun 29 2024

MDC023-292015-
/O.CON.KLWX.SV.W.0101.000000T0000Z-240629T2015Z/
Garrett MD-
326 PM EDT Sat Jun 29 2024

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 415 PM EDT
FOR NORTHERN GARRETT COUNTY...

At 326 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Accident, or 9
miles north of Oakland, moving east at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches to
         fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as damage
         homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by downed
         trees. Localized power outages are possible. Unsecured
         light objects may become projectiles.

Locations impacted include...
Bittinger, Accident, Deep Creek Lake State Park, Swallow Falls State
Park, Merrill, McHenry, Big Run State Park, and McComas Beach.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Remain alert for a possible tornado! Tornadoes can develop quickly
from severe thunderstorms. If you spot a tornado go at once into the
basement or small central room in a sturdy structure.

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

LAT...LON 3962 7899 3948 7907 3948 7910 3947 7909
      3946 7911 3943 7911 3943 7913 3951 7948
      3962 7948
TIME...MOT...LOC 1926Z 275DEG 25KT 3955 7940

TORNADO...POSSIBLE
HAIL THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...1.00 IN
WIND THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX WIND GUST...60 MPH

Advisory: Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 10:00PM Saturday

Dear Nixle User,

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 483 IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS IN MARYLAND THIS WATCH INCLUDES 3 COUNTIES IN NORTH CENTRAL MARYLAND WASHINGTON IN WESTERN MARYLAND ALLEGANY GARRETT IN VIRGINIA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 5 COUNTIES IN NORTHWEST VIRGINIA CITY OF WINCHESTER CLARKE FREDERICK SHENANDOAH WARREN IN WEST VIRGINIA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 8 COUNTIES IN EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA GRANT HAMPSHIRE HARDY MINERAL PENDLETON IN THE PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA BERKELEY JEFFERSON MORGAN THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF BERRYVILLE, CHARLES TOWN, CUMBERLAND, FORT ASHBY, FRANKLIN, FRONT ROYAL, FROSTBURG, GRANTSVILLE, HAGERSTOWN, KEYSER, MARTINSBURG, MOOREFIELD, MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK, OAKLAND, PAW PAW, PETERSBURG, ROMNEY, SHEPHERDSTOWN, STRASBURG, WINCHESTER, WINCHESTER, AND WOODSTOCK.

* AFFECTED AREAS: ALLEGANY, MD ... GARRETT, MD ... WASHINGTON, MD ... CLARKE, VA ... FREDERICK, VA ... SHENANDOAH, VA ... WARREN, VA ... CITY OF WINCHESTER, VA ... BERKELEY, WV ... GRANT, WV ... HAMPSHIRE, WV ... HARDY, WV ... JEFFERSON, WV ... MINERAL, WV ... MORGAN, WV ... PENDLETON, WV

• Like 1

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
930 PM EDT Sat Jun 29 2024

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Central Frederick County in north central Maryland...

* Until 1000 PM EDT.

* At 929 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Frederick,
  moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Frederick, Harry Grove Stadium, Ballenger Creek, Mount Airy,
  Walkersville, Braddock Heights, New Market, Discovery-Spring
  Garden, Green Valley, Clover Hill, Linganore-Bartonsville,
  Libertytown, Monrovia, Ijamsville, Bloomfield, Mount Pleasant,
  Clifton, Middletown In Frederick Md, and Unionville.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

LAT...LON 3950 7712 3950 7711 3948 7712 3946 7712
      3943 7713 3942 7715 3941 7715 3936 7717
      3935 7718 3929 7731 3942 7756 3953 7747
TIME...MOT...LOC 0129Z 290DEG 22KT 3943 7739

HAIL THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...<.75 IN
WIND THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX WIND GUST...60 MPH

I live in a warned area earlier tonight in Chestnut Ridge area Baltimore County. My property took a direct strike tonight - split a massive tree in our front yard and split it down the center. The charge got picked up by our landscape lighting and entered the house and blew up the lighting transformer in my garage (during initial damage assessment there was a haze in garage and 911 was initiated. FD came out and secondary search found the transformer blew up and blackened the wall (that was the haze) , took out 2 GFCI outlets that are now blinking red and dead, my main network switch is dead , a raspberry pi Homebridge computer is dead, my main tv is dead , and I still haven’t finished damage assessment. . Massive tree and its branches down in my yard. Pics when I get internet back I have half a bar. Nobody injured.

I was siting on front steps 20 min earlier listening to very distant thunder and saw all the flashes afar and on RadarScope (while cells still in Frederick / start of Carroll). I had some time but then the TSW was issued so I came inside well in advance. Never - ever - expected a direct strike. Holy **** was that scary. The tree 25 feet away. I have a little ptsd about it and new respect for lightning (not that I ever didn’t have it - but wait till I post the tree and transformer tomorrow.

That was closest strike of my life with property damage on top of it. . Severe lightning direct hit unlocked. I can be done now.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 11

6 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

I live in a warned area earlier tonight in Chestnut Ridge area Baltimore County. My property took a direct strike tonight - split a massive tree in our front yard and split it down the center. The charge got picked up by our landscape lighting and entered the house and blew up the lighting transformer in my garage (during initial damage assessment there was a haze in garage and 911 was initiated. FD came out and secondary search found the transformer blew up and blackened the wall (that was the haze) , took out 2 GFCI outlets that are now blinking red and dead, my main network switch is dead , a raspberry pi Homebridge computer is dead, my main tv is dead , and I still haven’t finished damage assessment. . Massive tree and its branches down in my yard. Pics when I get internet back I have half a bar. Nobody injured.

I was siting on front steps 20 min earlier listening to very distant thunder and saw all the flashes afar and on RadarScope (while cells still in Frederick / start of Carroll). I had some time but then the TSW was issued so I came inside well in advance. Never - ever - expected a direct strike. Holy **** was that scary. The tree 25 feet away. I have a little ptsd about it and new respect for lightning (not that I ever didn’t have it - but wait till I post the tree and transformer tomorrow.

That was closest strike of my life with property damage on top of it. . Severe lightning direct hit unlocked. I can be done now.

Wow! Glad it was not worse. The lightning was especially intense with that first line last night. Saw quite a few cloud to ground. We have whole house surge protection in our panel but the kids unplugged their PC’s and I took my laptop off the charger just in case. Keep us updated on the damage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

So glad you and yours are ok. Hope insurance helps with the electrical damage. 

CAMs have swung back and again look decent for the I-95 corridor, BUT those solutions are contingent upon heating into the 90s.      It does look like there is some clearing approaching, and I would expect us to rapidly torch if the sun emerges, but we'll see how this plays out.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

9a7579503e58ea2186a87cb9333112c6.jpg

DAMN. First, I'm so glad that you and your family are safe. I saw another one of our forum members commented on your experience (from the Springfield, VA area, I believe), which was equally harrowing. I was a late teen, hunkering down with my mother in my childhood home in PA, when we had a direct lightning strike at the top front of our house circa 1988. All appliances started beeping, our main TV was fried, there was a definite electrical stench in the air, but nothing was seriously ruined in terms of the electrical system. As expected, the blinding flashes in every window were instantaneously followed by ear-splitting thunder...and my mom and I had ringing in our ears for a couple hours afterward.

Certainly, we did not sustain the kind of damage that you all did here...unfortunately. As a weather buff, you ALREADY knew the dangers of lightning, and we can obviously never predict when it strikes...but it is a force of nature NOT to be trifled with.

• Like 1

mcd1489_full.png

Mesoscale Discussion 1489
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1111 AM CDT Sun Jun 30 2024

Areas affected...Portions of central/eastern NC/VA...MD...and DE

Concerning...Severe potential...Severe Thunderstorm Watch likely 

Valid 301611Z - 301815Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

SUMMARY...Thunderstorms are expected to develop over the next couple
   of hours, posing a risk for damaging wind gusts. A watch will likely
   be needed for portions of the region withing the next 1-2 hours.

DISCUSSION...Portions of northern VA into MD/DE continue to
   experience greater cloud cover at midday due to earlier day
   convection. The airmass across this area has been slower to recover
   as heating has been somewhat slower than surrounding areas.
   Instability increases with southward extent, and to the east of a
   surface trough, across southeast VA into northeast NC. With time,
   much of the region should achieve moderate to strong destabilization
   given surface dewpoints in the mid 70s F and temperatures climbing
   into the upper 80s/low 90s F. Vertical shear will be strongest
   (around 25-30 kt effective shear magnitudes) across northern
   VA/MD/DE, while decreasing with southward extent into NC. 

Convection may first develop in the uncapped and moderately unstable
   airmass near the surface trough across parts of NC into southeast
   VA. As airmass recovery continues across northern portions of the
   MCD area, additional storms are expected to develop over the higher
   terrain of northern VA and shift east through late afternoon/early
   evening. Thunderstorm clusters will mainly pose a risk of damaging
   gusts, with potentially some better organized/more intense bowing
   segments possible further north where better shear overlaps the
   moderately unstable airmass. Regardless, portions of the MCD area
   will likely need severe thunderstorm watch issuance within the next
   1-2 hours.

..Leitman/Gleason.. 06/30/2024

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...MHX...LWX...RAH...RNK...

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1489.html

• Like 4

CAMs have swung back and again look decent for the I-95 corridor, BUT those solutions are contingent upon heating into the 90s.      It does look like there is some clearing approaching, and I would expect us to rapidly torch if the sun emerges, but we'll see how this plays out.

Bright blue skies. Temps taking off.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Certainly, we did not sustain the kind of damage that you all did here...unfortunately. As a weather buff, you ALREADY knew the dangers of lightning, and we can obviously never predict when it strikes...but it is a force of nature NOT to be trifled with.

This is the truth !!  I am posting additional comment in the banter thread so as to not clog this thread.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamHLG said:

This is the truth !!  I am posting additional comment in the banter thread so as to not clog this thread. 

Appreciate the summary provided in banter but I don't believe you're clogging up anything here -- of course, all of us reading this thread love to follow the severe stuff. But sharing your experience reminds us to be careful when it's showtime.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Blue sky here and purely tropical. Temperature is 95 and the dewpoint is 78. If that isn't enough for storms I don’t know what is.  

Classic day of decent lightning and probably some real nice downpours.

• Like 3