Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Severe Weather General Discussion

Kmlwx

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The storm is getting the look of about to produce again. Inflows are increasing and the hook is getting well defined again

It was really cool to see the whispy disconnected hook echo a few scans ago. Much more defined now. 

Screenshot_20240605-201722.png

Just now, SnowLover22 said:

Tornado looks to be south of Columbia proper so assuming you’re in Columbia proper, you should be fine. 

I’m in southeast Columbia. That couplet is going very close to downtown. 

>5”/hour rain rate with this storm 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Why did we not have a watch? 

1 minute ago, AlexD1990 said:

I think that question's going to be asked quite a bit in the coming days...

The answer that is likely going to come from this is going to be low spatial coverage overall. High impact because of the location it went through (major metropolitan region) - but overall coverage was why they didn't issue a watch. Whether it's right or wrong - that's the reasoning. Consider the STW just a handful of days ago when almost no storm activity occurred at all. Tough job to be an SPC/NWS forecaster. 

• Like 4

Just now, Scraff said:

What a huge fail today for the weather service. Unreal. Hearing rotation over Oakland Mills. 

I am not sure I would go that far at all. They were warning the storms left and right. SPC didn't coordinate a Tornado Watch due to expected overall low coverage. However, given the risk, the smarter move could have been to issue a small watch given the major metro area. HOWEVER, flip side is that if they issued a watch and no storms formed or only weak ones...false alarm fatigue. I would hope that the warnings did their job. Wouldn't call it a "huge fail" by the weather service but that's just my two cents. Very easy to judge after the fact. 

• Like 2