• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

The 12Z EPS has fwiw a whopping 20% (10) of its 50 members with a H landfalling in the FL Big Bend to Panhandle region. Plus there are a couple of TS hits there, too. That’s a strong signal for so far out. Expect it to change from run to run.

18z gfs continues the theme

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

18z gfs continues the theme

Now a lemon:

An area of low pressure could form this weekend over the western 
Caribbean Sea. Thereafter, some slow development of this system is 
possible through early next week while the system moves slowly to 
the north or northwest over the northwestern Caribbean Sea.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent. 
* Formation chance through 7 days...low...20 percent.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Now a lemon:

two_atl_7d0.png

• Thanks 1

Now a lemon:

Seems like a lot of steam for only 20% or is that mostly because they think the development could be more than 7 days out?

Sorry for the weenie question but this one seems to have quite the buzz so the 20% kinda threw me off.

3 minutes ago, dbullsfan said:

Seems like a lot of steam for only 20% or is that mostly because they think the development could be more than 7 days out?

Sorry for the weenie question but this one seems to have quite the buzz so the 20% kinda threw me off.

The TC genesis signal looks right on the edge of 7 days judging by the ensembles. While I think the CAG (Central American Gyre) signal is real and we have a good chance of something forming, I’d say we need more time to lock that signal. 

• Like 1

If I am interpreting the 6Z GFS correctly. We have a high end tropical storm off the Panama City coast that somehow drifts south east and proceeds into the Apalachee Bay as a low end CAT 1. It then maintains high end tropical storm intensity to though the entire eastern seaboard and then regains hurricane intensity over Pennsylvania and New York (Subtropical?). 

Having the repeat signals from the EPS and GEFS run after run is —as many have already stated—as strong an indication as any at this lead time that a strong tropical system is likely to develop. 

And then we have the MJO transition phase 6 to 7/8. The high amplitude troughiness seen across the central/Eastern CONUS on some of the op runs around the time of interest is much more likely than not…

IMG_1332.png

IMG_1331.png

The NHC lemon has just come into the 12Z UKMET’s 168 hour range and it has TCG at 162 in NW Caribbean 200 miles SSW of W top of Cuba moving NNE toward W Cuba on 9/25:

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 162 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+162 : 18.9N  86.2W

LEAD                 CENTRAL     MAXIMUM WIND
      VERIFYING TIME    TIME   POSITION   PRESSURE (MB)  SPEED (KNOTS)
      --------------    ----   --------   -------------  -------------
    1200UTC 25.09.2024  168  19.4N  86.0W     1004            27

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

It seems to me the inhibiting factor for development could be the broad circulation may have trouble tightening. This seems to be why the GFS has a very large hurricane, while the Euro has shown on several runs a broad area of low pressure that never develops despite reasonably favorable conditions.

This is a really good point, and is a good place for a reminder that usually CAG systems are slow to develop and are relatively lower ceiling at least initially because they can be so broad. Michael was an exception to the rule.

Turning to the GFS…it looks like the eastern trough is enough to take it north and then NE across FL, but then a ridge rolls over the northern U.S. and traps it from escaping OTS immediately in advance of another trough that could kick or draw north. 

Just one of many solutions but I think the Gulf and East Coast should be watching this one closely. This looks like a favorable intensification environment if a low can build a well-organized structure. 

9 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Other 12Z:

-GFS 988 into FL Big Bend early 9/27 and then ENE to N of Daytona

-CMC 974 Pensacola late afternoon 9/26

Not sure I buy the 36 hour cutoff idea on the GFS as it sits off the GA/FL coast before finally deciding to skedaddle NE and out to sea

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t either. These are vastly different run to run differences—to be expected as you know. 

True, but I think this is the first time we have seen this type of solution.  I believe we are getting towards a "storm will be happening"... the question is strength and track.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BRSno said:

18z GFS sure trended to something more like this

Eh, Wilma intensified to an historic Cat 5 in the Caribbean. Current ensemble suite doesn’t suggest anything like a repeat, but in general the analogs are showing how we get a potential major hurricane to come north out of the Caribbean. Somewhere in the eastern half of the Gulf is most likely at this point, but there’s a huge amount of spread in timing and location, such that anywhere in the Gulf is probably fair game.  This one will have off-the-charts OHC to work with and will probably be able to take advantage of the loop current farther north, too. 
IMG_5573.gif.93784176da934e19c6a45b6e4de8afa5.gif

• Like 1
  • 100% 1