• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

2 hours ago, cptcatz said:

Classic ldub post of canceling the season in early August, never realizing that climatology ramps up in late August. 

And that nearly every factor is aligned for an extremely busy peak…

• Like 1

8 days out, the GFS has a very Debby-esque tropical wave entangled with the Greater Antilles from the wave EPS have been liking.  Intensity and when it might recurve would be very much deterimed by whether it misses the islands to the N anf fishes or stays S of the G. Antilles and is more than a TD by the time it reaches the Gulf.

gfs_midRH_watl_33.png

GFS_12Z_080724.gif

The 12Z Euro has an AEW that crosses Hispaniola and then leads to a TC forming in the SE Bahamas by 216 and that turns NNE aiming for W of Bermuda at 240 as it recurves due to a trough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GaWx said:

The 12Z Euro has an AEW that crosses Hispaniola and then leads to a TC forming in the SE Bahamas by 216 and that turns NNE aiming for W of Bermuda at 240 as it recurves due to a trough.

I have a question, regarding the GFS seeing TC genesis before most of its ensemble members do, as compared to the ECENS- is resolution an issue for the GEFS?  Do you know if anyone has access to the control run?  When the op and the ensemble are run at different resolutions, does that cause these issues.  Can you see the GFS ensemble control member?

26 minutes ago, GaWx said:

However, the much more credible 12Z Euro ensemble (since this is 10 days out) has only ~50% that are safe recurves with regard to CONUS, which is a lower % than recent runs. The rest are either close or actually hit the US, mainly E coast vs Gulf. NC northward and the NE in particular looks to be potentially at risk as much as any US region on this run anyway.

16 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I have a question, regarding the GFS seeing TC genesis before most of its ensemble members do, as compared to the ECENS- is resolution an issue for the GEFS?  Do you know if anyone has access to the control run?  When the op and the ensemble are run at different resolutions, does that cause these issues.  Can you see the GFS ensemble control member?

I can’t answer since I don’t know. I don’t see a particular GFS ens control run.

• Like 1

Euro and most of the ECENS are developing the wave now near 40*.  Not looking as 'fishy', many ensemble members get it into the Caribbean before a recurve.  Most members that cross the G. Antilles aren't strong, but the rain and topography would cause issues.  EDIT TO ADD: Hours 156 to 210.  A week away, but a strong signal.  Op GFS slower development gets it into the Gulf.  Not as much ensemble support, but Im starting to suspect the combination to the constant refinement of the model and lower resolution may contribute to GEFS not supporting the op when they would if run at higher resolution.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Euro and most of the ECENS are developing the wave now near 40*.  Not looking as 'fishy', many ensemble members get it into the Caribbean before a recurve.  Most members that cross the G. Antilles aren't strong, but the rain and topography would cause issues.  EDIT TO ADD: Hours 156 to 210.  A week away, but a strong signal.  Op GFS slower development gets it into the Gulf.  Not as much ensemble support, but Im starting to suspect the combination to the constant refinement of the model and lower resolution may contribute to GEFS not supporting the op when they would if run at higher resolution.

giphy.gif

Anything stopping or inhibiting development?

42 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

giphy.gif

Hmmm

How strong do you think this might get + any analogs?

loop.gif

22 minutes ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

Hmmm

How strong do you think this might get + any analogs?

loop.gif

I don't how to do an analog off a model run of a storm that hadn't developed yet.  I told you I'm not a met, just a hobbyist.  There are some analog guys for an actual storm in an actual position, but I'm not an expert on that, either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I don't how to do an analog off a model run of a storm that hadn't developed yet.  I told you I'm not a met, just a hobbyist.  There are some analog guys for an actual storm in an actual position, but I'm not an expert on that, either.

no problem man

20 minutes ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

Sheeeit, but what intensity are you thinking?

Also:

Too early to tell really, but based on the pressure readings of that particular model run, I'd guess Cat 1 or 2 hurricane. How much land interaction it encounters in the islands could be the ultimate determinant of that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LakeNormanStormin said:

Too early to tell really, but based on the pressure readings of that particular model run, I'd guess Cat 1 or 2 hurricane. How much land interaction it encounters in the islands could be the ultimate determinant of that.

Sheeeeeit

image0.png