• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

21 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I disagree and feel you’re generalizing. I think it is a mix of high and low quality there just like is the case most anywhere. Also, an unknown number of members here are also members there with some actively posting at both. They must be doing something right being that they’ve been around for over 20 years.

I think compared to this board the level of expertise and knowledgeable posters is just severely lacking over there.  Additionally the moderators are absolutely childish and squash any and every inkling of disagreement.  They treat posters like they are children which is …..  yea not for me.  I was a longtime member there and when I found this place I never posted there again 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Normandy said:

I think compared to this board the level of expertise and knowledgeable posters is just severely lacking over there.  Additionally the moderators are absolutely childish and squash any and every inkling of disagreement.  They treat posters like they are children which is …..  yea not for me.  I was a longtime member there and when I found this place I never posted there again 

I disagree with the first part as I think both places have a good number of excellent posters. Also, keep in mind that there's overlap of membership as it isn't a pure them vs us situation. When you slam them, you're also slamming some here. But I agree with what I bolded as the moderation there is much stronger.

Regardless, I think it is better to peacefully coexist than to slam each other. This isn't like Dems vs Repubs thank goodness. The tropical wx forum community is bigger than any one BB.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Normandy said:

It seems to be that way when I just had a lurk over there. 

The 12Z EPS is still active and is fairly similar to the 0Z/6Z with some hitting the E coast but more staying just offshore and way less activity in the Gulf vs the Atlantic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

Wait what the hell is this?

The one in the west, if it moved to that position, would cause a huge rainband to drench south central Texas with Brobdingnagian amounts of efficient tropical rain and plunging our region into a super Uber Quagmire for all-time. We already have had 37 inches this year. NORMAL rainfall in Buda for 365 days is 30 inches. I just spent 3 hours today mowing 14 inch grasses near the pool. This is April-May, in late July! We'd all need Bayou airboats to get around in central Texas lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Jebman said:

The one in the west, if it moved to that position, would cause a huge rainband to drench south central Texas with Brobdingnagian amounts of efficient tropical rain and plunging our region into a super Uber Quagmire for all-time. We already have had 37 inches this year. NORMAL rainfall in Buda for 365 days is 30 inches. I just spent 3 hours today mowing 14 inch grasses near the pool. This is April-May, in late July! We'd all need Bayou airboats to get around in cI entral Texas lol.

I think in regard to rain and tropical threats this year that this is just the beginning for SE Texas sorry to say.

37 minutes ago, Jebman said:

The one in the west, if it moved to that position, would cause a huge rainband to drench south central Texas with Brobdingnagian amounts of efficient tropical rain and plunging our region into a super Uber Quagmire for all-time. We already have had 37 inches this year. NORMAL rainfall in Buda for 365 days is 30 inches. I just spent 3 hours today mowing 14 inch grasses near the pool. This is April-May, in late July! We'd all need Bayou airboats to get around in central Texas lol.

That sounds tough. I hope this doesn’t verify.

16 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I think in regard to rain and tropical threats this year that this is just the beginning for SE Texas sorry to say.

Yep Houston tends to get hit by a lot of the tropical activity, particularly in the autumn.

• Like 1

I will tell you what is surprising. Us getting more rain, than some parts of N VA have had this year.

We will see big rain events all across the South especially as we are now moving into August. We have also seen a lot more upper 70s dewpoints this summer.

• Like 1

For C MDR system:

0Z UKMET: large shift SW and much earlier TCG just N of C Cuba with TS near Key West then turns into FL Big Bend followed by NNE motion into SC/SE GA, NE into coastal SC and then ENE move to offshore CHS; TS nearly the entire track

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 102 HOURS
FORECAST POSITION AT T+102 : 22.8N 79.2W

LEAD CENTRAL MAXIMUM WIND
VERIFYING TIME TIME POSITION PRESSURE (MB) SPEED (KNOTS)
-------------- ---- -------- ------------- -------------
1200UTC 03.08.2024 108 23.3N 79.9W 1007 37
0000UTC 04.08.2024 120 24.8N 81.8W 1004 39
1200UTC 04.08.2024 132 26.9N 83.2W 1003 37
0000UTC 05.08.2024 144 28.9N 83.0W 1003 33
1200UTC 05.08.2024 156 31.4N 82.5W 1008 36
0000UTC 06.08.2024 168 32.8N 79.4W 1006 35

For C MDR system:
1) 0Z GFS turns left into Galveston as a H!

2) 0Z CMC forms off SE coast, center stays a little offshore SC/NC, and then becomes a H well offshore; ends run just off NE Nova Scotia as significant storm

3) 0Z ICON similar track to CMC but faster

11 minutes ago, GaWx said:

For C MDR system:
1) 0Z GFS turns left into Galveston as a H!

2) 0Z CMC forms off SE coast, center stays a little offshore SC/NC, and then becomes a H well offshore; ends run just off NE Nova Scotia as significant storm

3) 0Z ICON similar track to CMC but faster

The evolution of this one still looks in line with thoughts a few days ago. Just need to watch for when convection develops (probably next few days) and whether the vorticity tightens. 

• Thanks 1

0Z Euro has a weak low on E coast of FL that moves offshore NE FL and strengthens to 1006 (possible TD) off SC moving toward NC at 240. So, Euro is closer to CMC/ICON than UKMET and nothing like GFS.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 AM EDT Tue Jul 30 2024

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Near the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas:
A large tropical wave centered several hundred miles east of the 
Leeward Islands is producing limited shower activity due to dry air 
aloft.  Environmental conditions are forecast to become more 
conducive for development over the warmer waters of the southwestern 
Atlantic Ocean during the next day or two, and a tropical depression 
could form late this week while the system is in the vicinity of the 
Greater Antilles or the Bahamas.  Interests in the Greater Antilles, 
the Bahamas, and the southeastern U.S. should monitor the progress 
of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...medium...60 percent.

You really want to look at the 5 day to see the change but the environment is gradually moistening. 

mimictpw_natl_latest.gif

There’s been lower level pooling in the wave so as it continues wrapping in moisture from the ITCZ that should help as the wave gets to warmer waters. The western Atlantic looks favorable but the wave is so large and dry aloft it’ll take time to organize. 

I still think the GFS is way too far west with this. It looks like a SE coast/recurve to me eventually. 

• Like 2

12Z UKMET: similar to 0Z but weaker (TD vs TS) with trip from Key West vicinity into far E Gulf followed by turn into N FL; run ends with it near Jacksonville

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 108 HOURS
FORECAST POSITION AT T+108 : 25.0N 81.8W

0000UTC 04.08.2024 108 25.0N 81.8W 1008 29
1200UTC 04.08.2024 120 26.8N 83.2W 1007 30
0000UTC 05.08.2024 132 28.0N 83.4W 1007 26
1200UTC 05.08.2024 144 29.2N 83.3W 1010 24
0000UTC 06.08.2024 156 30.2N 81.6W 1011 26
1200UTC 06.08.2024 168 30.0N 80.9W 1012 30

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Tue Jul 30 2024

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Near the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas:
A large tropical wave centered several hundred miles east of the 
Lesser Antilles is producing limited shower activity due to 
environmental dry air.  Conditions are forecast to become a little 
more conducive for development over the warmer waters of the 
southwestern Atlantic Ocean, and a tropical depression could form 
late this week while the system is in the vicinity of the Greater 
Antilles or the Bahamas.  Interests in the Greater Antilles, the 
Bahamas, and the southeastern U.S. should monitor the progress of 
this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...medium...60 percent.

Forecaster Cangialosi

Insurance rates for coastal Texas residents unable to get private wind storm damage insurance going up.  At least we're not Florida, only a small portion of the state is vulnerable to tropical storms.  https://abc13.com/post/texas-windstorm-insurance-association-states-insurer-homes-businesses/15121810/

EDIT TO ADD SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC: I have relatives in DFW, they're getting enough hail storms often enough their homeowners rates are increasing

• Sad 1

My neighbor who is a Wilmington PD in NC said they were briefed today about the storm and they are being told mid Tuesday-Thursday could be dicey for heavy winds and rain. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NCWX said:

My neighbor who is a Wilmington PD in NC said they were briefed today about the storm and they are being told mid Tuesday-Thursday could be dicey for heavy winds and rain. 

Lol, do you think the Wilmington PD has access to models we don’t?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

0Z UKMET: well W of 12Z run with it stalling in NE Gulf 50 miles S of Destin:

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 108 HOURS
FORECAST POSITION AT T+108 : 24.2N 85.0W

1200UTC 04.08.2024 108 24.2N 85.0W 1009 30
0000UTC 05.08.2024 120 25.9N 86.0W 1008 29
1200UTC 05.08.2024 132 28.1N 86.3W 1008 34
0000UTC 06.08.2024 144 28.8N 86.3W 1007 39
1200UTC 06.08.2024 156 29.5N 86.6W 1007 38
0000UTC 07.08.2024 168 29.7N 86.5W 1005 28

The 12Z JMA was also NE Gulf with landfall of weak low in FL panhandle.

0Z GFS a H in AL/W FL panhandle. 

So, 3 of 6 latest models’ runs in NE Gulf: UK, JMA, and GFS.
 My gut says this will end up an exclusively Gulf storm.