• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

37 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Here it is--my peak season forecast. Enjoy. 

Very well thought out! Thanks for posting this. With my being in a vulnerable location, I hope you’re wrong with the very active peak or if not that people aren’t too badly impacted during the peak. I’d love for the peak to be like 2010.
 This is a minor point but I do want to point out that 2024 is 3rd highest of satellite era with 1980 also being higher as of today. The graph you show goes back only to 1991. That’s why it shows 2024 as 2nd highest. But since you mentioned 2nd highest of satellite era, I thought I should mention this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

Very well thought out! Thanks for posting this. With my being in a vulnerable location, I hope you’re wrong with the very active peak or if not that people aren’t too badly impacted during the peak. I’d love for the peak to be like 2010.
 This is a minor point but I do want to point out that 2024 is 3rd highest of satellite era with 1980 also being higher as of today. The graph you show goes back only to 1991. That’s why it shows 2024 as 2nd highest. But since you mentioned 2nd highest of satellite era, I thought I should mention this.

Will fix, thank you! 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Weird to be a week out from the peak of the season and to not even have any Invests to discuss all the while we still have a La Nina. Odd indeed.

Loading for the big show. Keeping those OHC nice and high. I’m not wish casting destruction, but ideally I would love to see a parade of majors come out of the MDR just north of the Caribbean and cruise between Bermuda and Obx. Lots of surf and little damage. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Loading for the big show. Keeping those OHC nice and high. I’m not wish casting destruction, but ideally I would love to see a parade of majors come out of the MDR just north of the Caribbean and cruise between Bermuda and Obx. Lots of surf and little damage. 

Same here tbh.

On 8/20/2024 at 9:53 PM, Kevin Reilly said:

Explain Sandy then?  October 22nd to November 2nd.  My avatar by the way is the satellite of Hurricane Sandy.   Don't forget about Ophelia as well. It's all about timing and later on tropical systems can be capture or run up along troughs. 

I said more likely, not that the anomaly could never happen

1 hour ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

Jova for bears, pack it up, the models are lighting up

I don't know about that. The GFS looks to have backed off at 12z from its aggressive  6Z look. The CMC looks about the same. The Icon has nothing. The EC at 0Z had nothing through 240h and the EPS had very little  through 360 for a time period going into the peak season.

This is NOT a season cancel response. As I mentioned in a previous post I am just taking it one day at a time with every day showing no major threats a day closer to the finish line.

• Haha 1

Long range GFS, whether active or not, has low statistical credibility. I prefer to look at GEFS/EPS for trends toward either more or less activity. Granted I did post about the late portion of the Euro-AIFS but that was because the last 13 runs have had a similar solution. Sort of its own 13 run ensemble in a sense.

I’d say the 18Z is about the most active GEFS for early Sep yet though not really that active for late Aug as there were a number of runs more active for then awhile back.

**Corrected from 12Z to 18Z

3 hours ago, GaWx said:

I’d say the 18Z is about the most active GEFS for early Sep yet though not really that active for late Aug as there were a number of runs more active for then awhile back.

**Corrected from 12Z to 18Z

Barely anything. If anything laughable gefs looking run the last few slides. 

• Confused 1

The 6Z Euro-AIFS has a TC that originates from a TCG in the vicinity of the Leeward Islands ~Sept 2nd. This makes it the 17th run in a row with a TCG near the Leewards ~9/2. This goes all of the way back to the 6Z 8/19 run! You can still see all of these runs on Tropical Tidbits

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

The 6Z Euro-AIFS has a TC that originates from a TCG in the vicinity of the Leeward Islands ~Sept 2nd. This makes it the 17th run in a row with a TCG near the Leewards ~9/2. This goes all of the way back to the 6Z 8/19 run! You can still see all of these runs on Tropical Tidbits

Has the Euro-AIFS gotten any better? I feel like it was posted during the winter for possible storms in the NE and it kind of stunk.  But maybe I am not remembering correctly.

8 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Has the Euro-AIFS gotten any better? I feel like it was posted during the winter for possible storms in the NE and it kind of stunk.  But maybe I am not remembering correctly.

I don’t have much to go on though I did see this at another BB fwiw:

“If I’m being honest, the only model I have much trust in right now is the AI-EURO. Mainly because it’s gotten every storm this season (was a bit slow with Debby but caught on) and caught on 10-14 days out.”

• Thanks 1

When do we press the “bust” button on the hyperactive season? My opinion is September 2. If models are completely dead then, it’s almost impossible to reach 20 storms (15 in the second week of September through the end of the season). This year, with the pre-season forecasts and recency bias, less than 20 named storms would be a bit of a bust, but 15 or less would me a MAJOR bust. It only takes one, but with the most aggressive pre season forecasts EVER, this seems like a year that the term BUST has a wider goal posts than normal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

When do we press the “bust” button on the hyperactive season? My opinion is September 2. If models are completely dead then, it’s almost impossible to reach 20 storms (15 in the second week of September through the end of the season). This year, with the pre-season forecasts and recency bias, less than 20 named storms would be a bit of a bust, but 15 or less would me a MAJOR bust. It only takes one, but with the most aggressive pre season forecasts EVER, this seems like a year that the term BUST has a wider goal posts than normal 

Let’s say that the quality over quantity theme of the season continues though and we end up with something 18/11/5. Is that a bust in your opinion?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Let’s say that the quality over quantity theme of the season continues though and we end up with something 18/11/5. Is that a bust in your opinion?

Exactly. It’s easy to forget multiple naked swirls in mid Atlantic that receive names. It’s not easy to forget landfalling majors. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Agreed. But there’s a long way to go to reach the 11/5 when we’re at 3/1 on September 2 with nothing on the horizon *if* that happens (per my post). That wasn’t a call or a forecast, just simply saying that’s when I’d have doubt on the crazy pre-season forecasts we were provided 

The 6Z Euro-AIFS has a TC that originates from a TCG in the vicinity of the Leeward Islands ~Sept 2nd. This makes it the 21st run in a row with a TCG near the Leewards ~9/2. This goes all of the way back to the 6Z 8/19 run! You can still see all of these runs on Tropical Tidbits.

13 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Agreed. But there’s a long way to go to reach the 11/5 when we’re at 3/1 on September 2 with nothing on the horizon *if* that happens (per my post). That wasn’t a call or a forecast, just simply saying that’s when I’d have doubt on the crazy pre-season forecasts we were provided 

Yeah I wasn’t trying to ask a leading question there. I do think the mid to high 20s NS forecasts will be too high at this point, but I do still believe low 20s is achievable given that I expect activity into November. It’s pretty weird to see so little out there right now, but we’ll just have to see what happens when the lid comes off. 

• Like 1