• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024-2025 La Nina

11 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I'm all over it. +QBO/La Nina gives us about a 75% probability of having a cold 10mb for the Winter, which is actually a high percentage. I just think that strong PV downwells to amplify RNA conditions, as it has done that for the last 15 years. Of course there is some chance of a Stratosphere warming, but I am less keen on a -NAO of late, because it is not dominating the pattern like the Pacific is. 

Haven't you posted on several occasions something to the effect that +NAO has been coinciding with +PNA and -NAO with RNA??

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

First time since 1968 with no Atlantic named storm formations between August 13th and September 3rd which was a developing moderate El Niño summer into winter.

Hey, the consensus clearly missed something this summer and fall, so hopefully it misses siomething with respect to the winter.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hey, the consensus clearly missed something this summer and fall, so hopefully it misses siomething with respect to the winter.

Consensus missed last winter as well. I don't like seeing the Euro seasonal going against us because it's been best with its Niña forecast. New Euro seasonal run comes out on the Euro site Thursday I believe, so we'll see. Paid sites may already have it, idk. Hopefully, it looks more like the Cansips, and even the Cfs2 for that matter which has recently looked more like the Cansips with cold draped across Canada and the northern tier.

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The funny thing is the Euro did a great job with the U.S. summer temperature forecast. But the forecast of over 20 named storms and 200 ACE was too high in the tropical Atlantic. So it’s interesting that the model can hone in on one set of circumstances but completely miss another. 

As for next winter, we would need some type of mismatch which would mute or shift the predominant -PDO pattern all the seasonal models have. So not sure if what happened in the Atlantic will be relevant beyond some extra SST warmth and fewer wave breaking events in the North Atlantic from a large number of tropical systems. My guess is that the very high ACE years created these wave breaks which lead to more -NAO development and better snowfall outcomes. But we are missing that this year so far. 

We would need some type of big mismatch for next winter to shift off of this type of look. This summer featured one of the strongest ridges south of the Aleutians and near New England .So the seasonal models really focus in on the Aleutian Ridge and Southeast Ridge next winter. But as always we’ll need to see what actually happens with the atmosphere next winter to know if the models are onto the correct idea. At the very least it looks like this will be our 10th warmer than normal winter in a row for the Northeast in places like NYC. But the details including the magnitude of the warmth and how much snow are difficult to guess at before we get more clues in the coming months.

IMG_1012.thumb.png.c0b9ee8680ea7944387bbb020b09fbcc.png

IMG_1013.thumb.png.6591cfb046fd15726d4f04f8b859c05a.png

IMG_1014.thumb.png.92612260da418a31faf69e84132fe5d8.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The funny thing is the Euro did a great job with the U.S. summer temperature forecast. But the forecast of over 20 named storms and 200 ACE was too high in the tropical Atlantic. So it’s interesting that the model can hone in on one set of circumstances but completely miss another. 

As for next winter, we would need some type of mismatch which would mute or shift the predominant -PDO pattern all the seasonal models have. So not sure if what happened in the Atlantic will be relevant beyond some extra SST warmth and fewer wave breaking events in the North Atlantic from a large number of tropical systems. My guess is that the very high ACE years created these wave breaks which lead to more -NAO development and better snowfall outcomes. But we are missing that this year so far. 

We would need some type of big mismatch for next winter to shift off of this type of look. This summer featured one of the strongest ridges south of the Aleutians. And east of New England So the seasonal models really focus in on the Aleutian Ridge and Southeast Ridge next winter. But as always we’ll need to see what actually happens with the atmosphere next winter to know if the models are into the correct idea. At the very least it looks like this will be our 10th warmer than normal winter in a row for the Northeast in places like NYC. But the details including the magnitude of the warmth and how much snow are difficult to guess at before we get more clues in the coming months.

The picture for winter right now is ugly, I don’t think anyone here is going to dispute that. Still waiting to see the official raw QBO number for August. If that’s actually as high as I saw posted on twitter yesterday, it will make an already ugly picture even uglier. There’s no way to sugar coat the QBO going very strongly positive right now in the face of the other variables we already have

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We would need some type of big mismatch for next winter to shift off of this type of look. This summer featured one of the strongest ridges south of the Aleutians and near New England .So the seasonal models really focus in on the Aleutian Ridge and Southeast Ridge next winter. But as always we’ll need to see what actually happens with the atmosphere next winter to know if the models are onto the correct idea. At the very least it looks like this will be our 10th warmer than normal winter in a row for the Northeast in places like NYC. But the details including the magnitude of the warmth and how much snow are difficult to guess at before we get more clues in the coming months.

Yes, we have heard about 746 times about this mismatch needed to ever snow again below the latitude of Caribou, ME. I wasn't challenging anything. Simply speaking anecdotally.

I will go out on a limb and say its not going to be warmer or have less snow than last season....those images could be worse for NE. That looks like some pretty decent poleward Aleutian ridging.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, we have heard about 746 times about this mismatch needed to ever snow again below the latitude of Caribou, ME. I wasn't challenging anything. Simply speaking anecdotally.

I will do out on a limb and say its not going to be warmer or have less snow than last season.

Snowfall is always tricky going into a seasonal forecast since one storm can make a big difference. While NYC and Boston obviously missed out last few seasons, we did get that localized stationary snowband over Central NJ. So while the general temperature tendency can be easier to detect for the seasonal models, snowfall forecast is usually more challenging.

Just now, bluewave said:

Snowfall is always tricky going into a seasonal forecast since one storm can make a big difference. While NYC and Boston obviously missed out last few seasons, we did get that localized stationary snowband over Central NJ. So while the general temperature tendency can be easier to detect for the seasonal models, snowfall can be tricky. 

Yes, this why snowflall has a ton of variance. But for say about the latitude of CNE points north, those charts don't even look that bad to me.

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My point being that I will take what is posted above over this knowing how useless the NAO has been in the face of an uttelry hostile Pacific.

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

22 minutes ago, bluewave said:

looks horrific and expected

• Like 1

The mean seasonal RNA is not going to be that amplified again and there is nothing anybody can say that will convince me otherwise. Just out of sheer probability alone, nevermind La Nina being significantly weaker....regardless of how intense the PDO remains. Lipstick on a pig, certaintly, but it is what it is and I will take my chances relative to last season.

26 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, this why snowflall has a ton of variance. But for say about the latitude of CNE points north, those charts don't even look that bad to me.

Sure. There can always be a big difference in snowfall for CNE and points north and NYC.

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My point being that I will take what is posted above over this knowing how useless the NAO has been in the face of an uttelry hostile Pacific.

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

That’s why it has been more important to get a favorable Pacific in 20-21 and Jan 22 than we got with the blocking patterns in Dec 22 and Mar 23. We used to be able to get by with a hostile Pacific with -AO -NAO like we had from the 50s into early 70s when the SSTs to our east were much colder. Now we just get the Greenland Block linking up with the Southeast Ridge around storm time.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Sure. There can always be a big difference in snowfall for CNE and points north and NYC.

That’s why it has been more important to get a favorable Pacific in 20-21 and Jan 22 than we got with the blocking patterns in Dec 22 and Mar 23. We used to be able to get by with a hostile Pacific with -AO -NAO like we had from the 50s into early 70s when the SSTs to our east were much colder. Now we just get the Greenland Block linking up with the Southeast Ridge around storm time.

This is something I have come around on...I was skeptical of it a couple of years ago. However, I still don't think well placed blocking is as futile as it has appeared the past few years, as there also has been some shit luck involved.

37 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is something I have come around on...I was skeptical of it a couple of years ago. However, I still don't think well placed blocking is as futile as it has appeared the past few years, as there also has been some shit luck involved.

The one early snowfall indicator which has worked for every La Niña winter in NYC going back to the 95-96 has been the December La Niña snowfall. Years with 3 or more inches December have gone on to above normal seasonal snowfall. Every December with under 3” has had a below average snowfall season. This is why December is so important with La Ninas around NYC.

22-23….Dec snow…..T……season….2.3

21-22…..Dec snow….0.2…season…..17.9

20-21…..Dec snow….10.5…season…38.6

17-18……Dec snow….7.7…..season…40.9

16-17…….Dec snow…3.2…..season…30.2

11-12…….Dec snow….0…….season….7.4

10-11…….Dec snow….20.1….season….61.9

08-09…..Dec snow….6.0……season….27.6

07-08…..Dec snow…..2.9…..season….11.9

05-06…..Dec snow…..9.7…….season…40.0

00-01……Dec snow….13.4……season….35.0

99-00…..Dec snow…..T……….season….16.3

98-99…..Dec snow…..2.0……..season….12.7

95-96…..Dec snow…..11.5……..season….75.6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Haven't you posted on several occasions something to the effect that +NAO has been coinciding with +PNA and -NAO with RNA??

I analyzed pna nao cycles earlier in the season, it was something like 10-12% of the time did we have a +PNA/-NAO couplet the past 10 winters or so

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The one early snowfall indicator which has worked for every La Niña winter in NYC going back to the 95-96 has been the December La Niña snowfall. Years with 3 or more inches December have gone on to above normal seasonal snowfall. Every December with under 3” has had a below average snowfall season. This is why December is so important with La Ninas around NYC.

22-23….Dec snow…..T……season….2.3

21-22…..Dec snow….0.2…season…..17.9

20-21…..Dec snow….10.5…season…38.6

17-18……Dec snow….7.7…..season…40.9

16-17…….Dec snow…3.2…..season…30.2

11-12…….Dec snow….0…….season….7.4

10-11…….Dec snow….20.1….season….61.9

08-09…..Dec snow….6.0……season….27.6

07-08…..Dec snow…..2.9…..season….11.9

05-06…..Dec snow…..9.7…….season…40.0

00-01……Dec snow….13.4……season….35.0

99-00…..Dec snow…..T……….season….16.3

98-99…..Dec snow…..2.0……..season….12.7

95-96…..Dec snow…..11.5……..season….75.6

Watch, NYC will get 10" this December and a trace the rest of the season.