• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024-2025 La Nina

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I think Michsnowfreak will be putting all of us in tears this year. AN precip is a near guarantee for him with BN temps a better than even bet. 

Hopefully, I can scratch out at least 20", which would only be 2/3 of average. 20/21 was the last year time at or AN here.

I think I'm going to hold off on doing the extra tropical Pacific until latter Septmeber or early October. I was going to do it next week, but I want to get a better idea of where the ACE is headed because that may really inform how much poleward Aleutian ridging we get.

22 hours ago, snowman19 said:

@40/70 Benchmark What are your thoughts for the fall? Just musing but based on everything right now synopitcally, I’m thinking warmer than normal for SON with November being the warmest and driest out of the 3 months and possibly drier than normal minus any tropical events of course in Sept and Oct. Not going into any winter thoughts until November….

I don't really do any other seasons, but from what Chuck was saying it sounds like October and November maybe mild before a "cool" down in December.

17 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Good bet that almost every month is warmer than average moving forward. I went back to look at the last 50 months at KBUF and only 11 out of 50 were below normal with 3 of them -0.1. You have over an 80% chance of guessing right if you guessed every month to be above normal moving forward.

Its like groundhog day....every season is the same, regardless of ENSO, solar, underwear or no underwear....we have a bloodbath off of Japan, a -3.56546 PDO, Raindance assembling an antilog list that includes any respectable east coast snowfall season that ends up being lethally accurate, and Bluewave responding to an alarm over his bedside that alerts of him of any expressed optimism pertaining to east coast winter, so that he can come in and promptly assinate spirits with a reminder about the warm pool and some god awful charts referencing the Pacific over the past 9 seasons. We also have snowman chiming in about some esoteric index from the middle east that supports the continued development of La Nina and is hostile for eastern snow and cold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think I'm going to hold off on doing the extra tropical Pacific until latter Septmeber or early October. I was going to do it next week, but I want to get a better idea of where the ACE is headed because that may really inform how much poleward Aleutian ridging we get.

I just posted this on the main Atlantic Tropical  thread fwiw:

I still feel good about my 21/10/5 contest prediction. My latest analog based ACE prediction due to having the 5th highest ACE on record back to 1851 as of 8/8 is for another ~160 (total of ~200) with ~75% of that (another ~120) ACE W of 60W rest of the year. Ernesto looks to tack on significant W of 60W ACE. Along with that, I’m thinking another 3-4 CONUS H landfalls, bringing it up to 5-6 for the full season (record high is 6).

Look out for the highest SOI since late 2022 near the weekend/early next week. A solidly +SOI tends to be somewhat of a leading indicator of activity/CONUS landfalls. So, if the very active early season along with continued near record warm SSTs isn’t enough, the upcoming strong +SOI may be a further harbinger of things to come late Aug-Sep.

I’d love nothing more than my predictions ending up too high. So, I’m not wishcasting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaWx said:

I just posted this on the main Atlantic Tropical  thread fwiw:

I still feel good about my 21/10/5 contest prediction. My latest analog based ACE prediction due to having the 5th highest ACE on record back to 1851 as of 8/8 is for another ~160 (total of ~200) with ~75% of that (another ~120) ACE W of 60W rest of the year. Ernesto looks to tack on significant W of 60W ACE. Along with that, I’m thinking another 3-4 CONUS H landfalls, bringing it up to 5-6 for the full season (record high is 6).

Look out for the highest SOI since late 2022 near the weekend/early next week. A solidly +SOI tends to be somewhat of a leading indicator of activity/CONUS landfalls. So, if the very active early season along with continued near record warm SSTs isn’t enough, the upcoming strong +SOI may be a further harbinger of things to come late Aug-Sep.

I’d love nothing more than my predictions ending up too high. So, I’m not wishcasting.

Yea, you are probably right, but from my perspective there is no need to rush anything out...makes no difference whether I do it in late August or late September/early October.

20 hours ago, raindancewx said:

Anti-1976 looks OK for August at this point.

Screenshot-2024-08-11-10-41-17-AM

Screenshot-2024-08-11-10-40-47-AM

Oh gosh, I hope not, lol. That would mean well above average temps and wet weather for October-January. At PHL, November 1976 was the coldest/driest on record, and January 1977 was the coldest on record. After the last 5 years, I really don't want a record warm/wet November and a record warm January. On the flip side, this would mean a cold spring (March-May), with a dry March and April, which probably means no meaningful snow, unless February (which would be a close to average month, but still wet) provides an opening for some snow. Either way, a very depressing fall/winter/spring combination.

I'll rather have the anti-1986/87 analog. We may still get an above average temperature winter and a below average temperature spring, but at least the departure will be much closer to average. Plus, there's a better chance of snow potential sprinkled throughout the winter.

I don't really do any other seasons, but from what Check was saying it sounds like October and November maybe mild before a "cool" down in December.

Got ya. I’m fairly confident in a warmer than normal fall (SON) and possibly dry. The EURO-UK is showing a rather zonal, dry fall. If I had to guess right now, all 3 months are above average with November the most mild/dry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Oh yea-I would take the over on normal temps here...which is why I said I would take that.

The big question is are we looking at say +2 or +5 DJF. We can get away with +2, and have had some good winters in that temp range. +5 on the other hand is a death sentence, that’s 2022-2023, 2011-2012 etc territory.  

8 minutes ago, George001 said:

The big question is are we looking at say +2 or +5 DJF. We can get away with +2, and have had some good winters in that temp range. +5 on the other hand is a death sentence, that’s 2022-2023, 2011-2012 etc territory.  

I see +5+ as being most likely down here in the SE US as per Niña/strong -PDO climo due to a stronger than average SE ridge. The very warm WPAC, itself, also supports a stronger than avg SE ridge. Being as “cool” as the +2 to +4 range would be more likely in the NE US.

I’m talking anomalies vs 1991-2020 base.

29 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Got ya. I’m fairly confident in a warmer than normal fall (SON) and possibly dry. The EURO-UK is showing a rather zonal, dry fall. If I had to guess right now, all 3 months are above average with November the most mild/dry

I really like my analog years of 1998 and 2007. Those are the la nina years since 1949-50 that best fits a warm/dry temperature/precipitation profile. 1998 has all 3 months above average temperature and below average precipitation. 2007 works as well, except we had that mudstorm the last weekend of October that pushed the October precipation above average and November was below average.

1998: Sep (71.8F, +3F above average, 1.86 in); Oct (58.3F, +1.1F above average, 1.84 in); Nov (48.2 F, +1.1F above average, 1.18 in)

2007: Sep (72F, +3F above average, 0.58 in); Oct (64.5F, +7.3F above average, 4.66 in [2.83 from 10/23 to 10/27]); Nov (45.7F, -1.4F below average, 1.45 in)

Uses 1971-2000 averages

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

TBH, I am rooting on La Nina....the discrepany between RONI and ONI will ensure that the only path to a decent winter for most of the east coast is for the La Nina to beef up enough to excite an amplified MC MJO response during the fall, so that hopefully its more subdued come winter. Bit more margin for error from around the latitide of central Mass and points north, but I am talking for most.

32 minutes ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

I really like my analog years of 1998 and 2007. Those are the la nina years since 1949-50 that best fits a warm/dry temperature/precipitation profile. 1998 has all 3 months above average temperature and below average precipitation. 2007 works as well, except we had that mudstorm the last weekend of October that pushed the October precipation above average and November was below average.

1998: Sep (71.8F, +3F above average, 1.86 in); Oct (58.3F, +1.1F above average, 1.84 in); Nov (48.2 F, +1.1F above average, 1.18 in)

2007: Sep (72F, +3F above average, 0.58 in); Oct (64.5F, +7.3F above average, 4.66 in [2.83 from 10/23 to 10/27]); Nov (45.7F, -1.4F below average, 1.45 in)

Uses 1971-2000 averages

I prefer 1999 and 2007...1999 is a better solar, QBO and ENSO match than 1998.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, George001 said:

I would honestly act like we have hit the lottery with a +2 winter.

I would honestly act like we have hit the lottery with a +2 winter.

For me it depends on how we get to it. If Dec and Mar torch while Jan and Feb are BN temp + AN precip, that would be great. If we lose Jan and Feb and get the cold in Dec and Mar, that would suck. 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

From here in the Great Lakes over to New England, there are generally two ways to get a very warm winter in a Nina. 
1. 22-23 style where you have arctic air coming into Canada but it’s dumping into the western half of the US because the pattern is so amplified. This gives us a lot of warm but dreary days since we are constantly getting warm and moist air masses coming from the southern US. 
2. 01-02/11-12 style where there’s a massive vortex around Alaska which doesn’t allow any Arctic air to move into the southern half of Canada therefore keeping the entire US outside of Alaska warm. This is generally a more pleasant winter warmth here as it usually has less moisture/stratus around. 
  I know studies have been done that show an active sun can lead to a lesser chance of high latitude blocking but I’m not totally convinced it was solely to blame for the massive Alaskan vortex in the 01-02 winter. I think it was used as a convenient excuse for blown forecasts that winter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would love a cold December...I disagree. 

That’s fair, we haven’t had a cold and snowy December for a while. The main reason I would rather punt Dec and Mar than Jan and Feb is that is punting Dec and Mar while we get BN temps during peak climo would likely lead to a better outcome snowfall and retention wise. Of course, there is more to winter than just raw snowfall totals and retention, that’s just what I value the most. 

• Like 1

While the Northeast has had a record breaking 9 consecutive warmer to record warm winters since 15-16, we still haven’t had a departure yet rivaling the magnitude of 2001-2002 or 1931-1932. Those were the 2 most anomalous warm departure winters relative to their 30 year averages. So at least we haven’t had a winter since 15-16 with a departure over +7.0 yet. As the winters continue to warm so do the 30 year averages. If we ever got a repeat of 01-02 or 31-32 departures in this much warmer climate, then it would be the first winter in the Northeast to average above freezing. I used dense rank sorting for the top 10 warmest Northeast winters by temperature rankings below.

#1…..2023-2024…..31.3°……+5.5

#2….2001-2002…..31.2°…….+7.1

#3….2022-2023…..30.7°……+4.9

……..2015-2016……30.7°…….+5.8

#4….2011-2012……30.0°……..+5.9

#5…..1997-1998…..29.6°……..+6.8

#6…..2016-2017…..29.5°……..+4.6

………1931-1932……29.5°……..+7.4

#7…..2019-2020…..28.9°……..+4.0

#8…..1932-1933…..28.4°………+6.3

#9…..1998-1999……28.2°……..+5.4

……….1948-1949…..28.2°………+5.3

#10….1952-1953……28.1°………..+4.8

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/climate-at-a-glance/regional/time-series/101/tavg/3/2/1895-2024?base_prd=true&begbaseyear=1901&endbaseyear=2000

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

TBH, I am rooting on La Nina....the discrepany between RONI and ONI will ensure that the only path to a decent winter for most of the east coast is for the La Nina to beef up enough to excite an amplified MC MJO response during the fall, so that hopefully its more subdued come winter. Bit more margin for error from around the latitide of central Mass and points north, but I am talking for most.

I was all in on the near super Niña the Cansips was advertising in the Spring to hopefully negate some of the heat in the western Pacific, but then everything started stepping back from that, except for the Euro that never bought into it. 

I agree that a moderate Niña, at least, would likely result in a better winter for most on the east coast. Unfortunately, the Ventrice 850 wind anomaly plot is the GFS, and it's hard to have a lot of faith in the GFS...ever. Time will tell, but even if that 2 week prog turns out pretty good, and I  hope it does, we need to maintain those 850 anomalies for months to come if we want to reach a legit tri-monthly moderate Niña. I'd feel a whole lot better if the Euro was on board because this month's update was not too encouraging for a moderate Niña. Additionally, I feel we need the ONI and RONI to couple better if we want a moderate Niña to deliver this winter. 

Minus Super El Nino's.. How come Strong La Nina's don't do this? It's because the strong equilateral winds in the Pacific ocean naturally cause more upwelling in the east than the west. Because of this, Strong La Nina's haven't historically gravitated toward east-based or been of the same deviated magnitude as these El Nino's, but if they did this is what it would look like. Just a lesson in ENSO climatology. 

2a-2.png

3-2.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I was all in on the near super Niña the Cansips was advertising in the Spring to hopefully negate some of the heat in the western Pacific, but then everything started stepping back from that, except for the Euro that never bought into it. 

I agree that a moderate Niña, at least, would likely result in a better winter for most on the east coast. Unfortunately, the Ventrice 850 wind anomaly plot is the GFS, and it's hard to have a lot of faith in the GFS...ever. Time will tell, but even if that 2 week prog turns out pretty good, and I  hope it does, we need to maintain those 850 anomalies for months to come if we want to reach a legit tri-monthly moderate Niña. I'd feel a whole lot better if the Euro was on board because this month's update was not too encouraging for a moderate Niña. Additionally, I feel we need the ONI and RONI to couple better if we want a moderate Niña to deliver this winter. 

I couldn't care less what the ONI does...La Nina will be moderate.

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Minus Super El Nino's.. How come Strong La Nina's don't do this? It's because the strong equilateral winds in the Pacific ocean naturally cause more upwelling in the east than the west. Because of this, Strong La Nina's haven't historically gravitated toward east-based or been of the same deviated magnitude as these El Nino's, but if they did this is what it would look like. Just a lesson in ENSO climatology. 

2a-2.png

3-2.png

The easterly trades tend to push the max anomalies west, so stronger trades generally equal a stronger, more west based La Nina.

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The easterly trades tend to push the max anomalies west, so stronger trades generally equal a stronger, more west based La Nina.

Yeah, you have to think the mean is skewed though if El Nino's are pushing on the trades much stronger than La Nina's. Neutral is probably some kind of Weak La Nina, because you still have all that upwelling and cold water temps running along the equator to Peru. The normalization of those water temps to match the northern and southern Hemisphere's should not be a +5-6c El Nino, while the greatest La Nina ever is -2c. You would have to think over a long enough climo period, you would have matching max deviations on both sides.. The top maps match what a cold weather pattern should produce here in N. America. I just don't think you are going to get 17c mean water temps along the coast of South America anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

2a-2.png

3-2.png

Could 2010-2011 fall in this category? Strong Nina ONI, MEI peaked at -2.4, and was still -1.8 by Dec-Jan. 

6 minutes ago, George001 said:

Could 2010-2011 fall in this category? Strong Nina ONI, MEI peaked at -2.4, and was still -1.8 by Dec-Jan. 

Waters were almost neutral close to South America.. 2010-2011 was greatest anomaly in the western ENSO regions, which I'm saying is a different kind of event. 

The east-based Super events also seem disconnected from the PDO, so it may even be a function of the mid-latitude cells that you get trade winds over the western ENSO regions in a lot of these "varying Weak-Moderates"

1-12.png

• Like 1

The tropical Atlantic isn't really that warm right now, and seems to be cooling relative to averages. Waters by Indonesia aren't super warm either. Tropical Indian Ocean / Nino 4 are pretty warm - but I can't imagine the RONI thing will be of any use if the non-Nino global tropical oceans are moving toward neutral. Warmest oceans v. average temps right now are far North Atlantic, Med, and then by Japan. Beaches off NC are warmer than anywhere off West Africa by SSTs.

All the bullshit about this being some kind of incredible hot Summer for the entire country has magically vanished in recent days and weeks. I wonder why. Actually been pretty cool for a while in the middle third of the US. My guess is we're already seeing the dominant and recessive patterns for the winter. Pattern one is dominant heat West/East thirds of the continental US with cold waves of varying severity and duration in the middle third of the US. We've seen this in July/Aug at times. Pattern two is weaker cold in the Northern Plains and Northwest, with the rest of the US warm (see May/June). If September reverts to one of those two patterns, I think it's likely we continue to see those two patterns dominant in the cold season. CFS currently has average temps, perhaps implying weak cold, in the Northern Plains for September. A blend of the two gives a pretty conventional La Nina look, but the magic is figuring out if the cold in the Central US or the Northern Plains / NW is dominant. Actually think there is a decent case for highs off the NW / NE coasts to be stronger than normal, which would flood the Central US with frequent cold snaps in between warm rebounds, while the rest of the US is mostly warm all winter.

Screenshot-2024-08-12-8-58-03-PM

• Like 3