• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2024-2025 La Nina

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

as an aside, this reminds me:    singular precipitation events that far exceed 'storm event climatology' have been becoming more frequent world over.  i think that's where you're going.   yup - that 30" otherwise nill type setting you describe is being observed.

it's empirically demonstrated that regions have been receiving as much as season's quota, or a significant fraction, all at once, ...before resuming extended dearths of anything significant.    if that locale were to have a run in with two of them, inside the same season, history at both seasonal scales but in house floating down landscapes turned riverine on drone videos.

I'll hold out hope to see that someday. This more moisture thing is a good thing for northern climes imo.

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'll hold out hope to see that someday. This more moisture thing is a good thing for northern climes imo.

There’s a balance between more moisture since it often also means more warmth which carries the more moisture. Hopefully that “balance line” where more moisture means too much more warmth hasn’t passed my latitude yet and my average starts going down significantly, but that’s one consideration. I agree though that I-90 and north it’s still a good tradeoff. For DC though it’s hard to argue that they’ve begun a longer term snow downtrend and it seems to be creeping north over time. But La Niña which we seem to be in some permanent iteration of through the bad MJO phases and rampaging Pacific jet can still be salvageable around 40N with the right long wave pattern and some blocking. 

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Honestly though, I think that is realistic for a NYC type climate. Big storms can absolutely make or break a winter. That doesnt happen in the Great Lakes. NYC can go weeks and weeks without a flake then get a 2 foot storm. A friend of mine on Long Island has seen a 30" storm and also a winter where the grass tips werent covered once. Basically impossible here. In my 41 years on this earth so far, Detroit has not had a snowstorm over 17" or a season total under 23". Certainly, a storm can really stand out in a winter, especially when accompanied or immediately followed by brutal winds or brutal cold, but the duration of cold and snow depth/snowcover seems to be one of the main metrics for how severe a winter is. We have seen mild winters generally considered "easy" that finished with near or even above avg snow.

When I was a kid in the 90s we often saw these nickel and dime storms here with some clippers that dropped a few inches. Last winter was maybe a nickel winter where we had a couple minor events and one warning event in early Feb that still ended up well below normal but otherwise drenched with near record precip in the El Niño pattern. Lately though it has become much more boom and bust since we can get the big offshore coastal snowstorms that nail New England like Nemo 2013, Juno 2015 and the Jan 2022 storm, and also the massive El Niño ones like Jan 2016. But we can also get completely porked. 

18 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Warmest the subsurface has been since early February

1-44.gif

Top map shows we've had a few weeks of westerlies but looks like some cooling will begin shortly per Gfs.

Bottom map is the Cfs2 which suggests cooling returns thru December, albeit sketchy. No doubt if we get an official Niña it'll be weak...very weak! Lol

u.anom.30.5S-5N (1).gif

75S75N_6_5_uwnd850.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

There’s a balance between more moisture since it often also means more warmth which carries the more moisture. Hopefully that “balance line” where more moisture means too much more warmth hasn’t passed my latitude yet and my average starts going down significantly, but that’s one consideration. I agree though that I-90 and north it’s still a good tradeoff. For DC though it’s hard to argue that they’ve begun a longer term snow downtrend and it seems to be creeping north over time. But La Niña which we seem to be in some permanent iteration of through the bad MJO phases and rampaging Pacific jet can still be salvageable around 40N with the right long wave pattern and some blocking. 

I agree. I have just noticed that for some reason, the really mild winters here seem to have more punch for snowfall than winters with those same temps had decades ago. I always prefer colder because its automatically better for snowcover and more snow here, but warmer is not ever really a death sentence for seasonal snowfall here (depending on the pattern).

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

When I was a kid in the 90s we often saw these nickel and dime storms here with some clippers that dropped a few inches. Last winter was maybe a nickel winter where we had a couple minor events and one warning event in early Feb that still ended up well below normal but otherwise drenched with near record precip in the El Niño pattern. Lately though it has become much more boom and bust since we can get the big offshore coastal snowstorms that nail New England like Nemo 2013, Juno 2015 and the Jan 2022 storm, and also the massive El Niño ones like Jan 2016. But we can also get completely porked. 

The 1990s (and I think 1980s) were like the heyday for clippers. But we relied TOO much on them here, which is why 2000s and 2010s winters were much snowier than the 1990s here. As an outsider to the east coast, my general impression of your climate is certainly the "feast of famine" you describe has become more common in recent years.

13 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Top map shows we've had a few weeks of westerlies but looks like some cooling will begin shortly per Gfs.

Bottom map is the Cfs2 which suggests cooling returns thru December, albeit sketchy. No doubt if we get an official Niña it'll be weak...very weak! Lol

u.anom.30.5S-5N (1).gif

75S75N_6_5_uwnd850.png

Looks very likely now that we see a weak, central-based La Niña (ONI). The RONI is a different story. The MJO is going to traverse back to the Maritime Continent (phases 4-6) next month and we are going to start seeing the enhanced trades/EWBs again and the SOI should rise. The PMM and IOD going negative only lends more support to Niña development…the -PDO goes without saying

The record Aleutian Ridge will continue into October as 500mb heights approach 600 dm east of Japan.  There could be a near record PAC Jet extension out near the Bering Sea. We’ll have to see if models continue with the levels near 5 sd. 

IMG_1380.thumb.png.44206aab10a6d2cb2e9d2804962ac5ae.png

IMG_1384.thumb.png.71935278ed850e498f5dabb58ab0459c.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The record Aleutian Ridge will continue into October as 500mb heights approach 600 dm east of Japan.  There could be a near record PAC Jet extension out near the Bering Sea. We’ll have to see if models continue with the levels near 5 sd. 

IMG_1380.thumb.png.44206aab10a6d2cb2e9d2804962ac5ae.png

IMG_1384.thumb.png.71935278ed850e498f5dabb58ab0459c.png

Here comes the next round of SST warming from east of Japan to the western Aleutians. Positive feedback cycle 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

here ...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41612-024-00761-8

so long as we were bringing it up.  i've been seeing papers emerge about this for 20 years or more, actually.  but in this particular rendition the science states a top 5 wet winter ( meaning precip ... not necessarily ptypes ) may become a 1::4 year deal.  prior climate generation/inference would suggest a return rate much, much longer. even 'rare'  - it'll likely chap assess for being inconvenient to narratives, but cites the cause as a warming climate. it is what it is -

in order to get from 1980 to 2050 ... 2100, it's entirely academic that we are seeing these precip bomb events ... increasing in frequency.. and so on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Here comes the next round of SST warming from east of Japan to the western Aleutians. Positive feedback cycle 

These waters do not warm this time of year, rather they tend to just not cool off as much. I do find it interesting to see the anomalies start the uptick though in Bering sea and sea of Okhotsk. Will have to keep a monitor on how this goes in the coming month or so.

ssta_animation_30day_large.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

here ...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41612-024-00761-8

so long as we were bringing it up.  i've been seeing papers emerge about this for 20 years or more, actually.  but in this particular rendition the science states a top 5 wet winter ( meaning precip ... not necessarily ptypes ) may become a 1::4 year deal.  prior climate generation/inference would suggest a return rate much, much longer. even 'rare'  - it'll likely chap assess for being inconvenient to narratives, but cites the cause as a warming climate. it is what it is -

in order to get from 1980 to 2050 ... 2100, it's entirely academic that we are seeing these precip bomb events ... increasing in frequency.. and so on

Its a lot to read but i get the gist. It will take a long time to actually see if it comes to fruition, but this is absolutely a good thing for snow lovers in the Great Lakes. It would likely increase it all (snow, rain, and ice events).

18 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

These waters do not warm this time of year, rather they tend to just not cool off as much. I do find it interesting to see the anomalies start the uptick though in Bering sea and sea of Okhotsk. Will have to keep a monitor on how this goes in the coming month or so.

ssta_animation_30day_large.gif

That map jibes with the link below that shows some cooling around Japan and a migration east, while also weakening, of the warmest N Pacific anomalies.

https://psl.noaa.gov/map/clim/sst.anom.anim.week.html

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

That map jibes with the link below that shows some cooling around Japan and a migration east, while also weakening, of the warmest N Pacific anomalies.

https://psl.noaa.gov/map/clim/sst.anom.anim.week.html

The ensembles are showing a huge ridge developing from just east of Japan to the western Aleutians and a big vortex in the GOA at the beginning of October. If correct, we are going to see strong upwelling and cooling of the SSTs in the GOA 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The ensembles are showing a huge ridge developing from just east of Japan to the western Aleutians and a big vortex in the GOA at the beginning of October. If correct, we are going to see strong upwelling and cooling of the SSTs in the GOA 

Could be, but we'll just have to see if 1) it develops as progged and, 2) the actual response. As we've this year, trying to predict ocean water temps around the world has been tough, seemingly tougher than usual.

P.s. I  would hope that October updates starting next week can reach a consensus on the Niña with some degree of accuracy.

44 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Could be, but we'll just have to see if 1) it develops as progged and, 2) the actual response. As we've this year, trying to predict ocean water temps around the world has been tough, seemingly tougher than usual.

P.s. I  would hope that October updates starting next week can reach a consensus on the Niña with some degree of accuracy.

I was kind of doubting an official Niña for awhile but the recent cooling and projected cooling/EWBs in region 3.4 coming up, along with the rapidly developing -PMM, -IOD, severely -PDO, the SOI finally going positive (albeit weakly), the MEI coupling and the continued Niña background forcing state (OLR), gives me confidence that we do see an official weak La Niña (ONI)