• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
2024-2025 La Nina

15 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Absolutely. Madison to Chicago to Detroit corridor had 60-100" of snow in the non-lake-snowbelt areas in 2007-08. I went to the upper peninsula in Mar 2008 (pic below) and the snow depths were insane. Meanwhile didn't nyc struggle to get 10"? In El ninos on the other hand somehow let the good storms go south despite it being a mild winter.

It was a blast living in Madison back then. I grew up not seeing accumulating snow every winter and had some wild storms while in WI from '05-'13. A lot of '07-'08 was frequent nickel and dimes in an Arctic air mass that covered the giant piles as soon as they started to look dirty. December '08 was also epic. Now I'll most certainly be subjected to my third snowless winter in a row with the beefed-up SER. Would think that we start seeing tornado outbreaks heading into winter and spring somewhere in the Mississippi Valley and/or Gulf states.

image.png.b31ce6c21bd33d6bee978966831be4cc.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

Yeah, the MEI is going to be in strong la nina territory for the SO update. I wonder how close we get to the 21-22/22-23 peak.

It’s really impressive how strong and persistent the Aleutian Ridge had become this year. The ridge keeps driving this record breaking -PDO pattern. 500 mb heights have been at record levels for an extended period.

IMG_1538.png.2244aa060d8a1059468ee6f38de5f61b.png

IMG_1536.gif.34973cad1d7e554fe6c85e1c50b5b59d.gif

IMG_1537.gif.fa42e68ebe3583ba7acbad4b1ed6d38f.gif

• Like 4

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

There has been some suggestion of 13-14 being a good analog….we are now completely and totally different in the North Pacific. It’s not even remotely close. By this time in 2013 it had already tipped its hand into a pseudo +PDO alignment. We are moving further and further away from that year: 

crw_sstamean_global.png

Here is the 15 day change, note the strong cooling in the GOA, Bering Sea and the across the eastern part of the Aleutian chain. It makes me very seriously doubt we see a -EPO winter:

crw_ssta_change_global.png

That cold south of Alaska is just awful

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

There has been some suggestion of 13-14 being a good analog….we are now completely and totally different in the North Pacific. It’s not even remotely close. By this time in 2013 it had already tipped its hand into a pseudo +PDO alignment. We are moving further and further away from that year: 

crw_sstamean_global.png

Here is the 15 day change, note the strong cooling in the GOA, Bering Sea and the across the eastern part of the Aleutian chain. It makes me very seriously doubt we see a -EPO winter:

crw_ssta_change_global.png

north Pacific SSTs aren’t the main reason why it’s a useful analog. it’s a pretty good ONI match, similar ENSO SST orientation, and it’s a good solar and QBO match. no analog is perfect… I don’t expect nearly the same amount of persistent AK ridging as that year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

north Pacific SSTs aren’t the main reason why it’s a useful analog. it’s a pretty good ONI match, similar ENSO SST orientation, and it’s a good solar and QBO match. no analog is perfect… I don’t expect nearly the same amount of persistent AK ridging as that year

IMO the North Pacific pseudo +PDO is what directly lead to the -EPO blocking and +TNH that winter

7 hours ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

Yeah, the MEI is going to be in strong la nina territory for the SO update. I wonder how close we get to the 21-22/22-23 peak.

Unfortunately the MEI may not update for awhile but I assume it’s deep into Niña mode

On 10/11/2024 at 11:00 AM, George001 said:

I would prefer 07-08 to 20-21. 07-08 was honestly straight up better than 20-21 for my area, it was snowier and a bit colder. 20-21 the best snows were south and west of SNE. My range for best and worst case scenarios is wider. Best case for my area I would say 2010-2011 redux, worst case 2022-2023 redux. I don’t think either of these scenarios is particularly likely, it would be foolish to forecast such an extreme outcome at this point. But that’s the range of outcomes. I’m thinking average to slightly above average snow for my area at this point, nothing too crazy in either direction. 

Agree.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree.

Old location, BWI, had 8.5" for the season while current one had 15". No thanks. 

I do remember that clipper in 12/07 that dropped around 4"'imby. I remember  Will commiserating with you and others pointing out BWI had more than BOS. That didn't last very long. :weep:

Also, Bastardi posted the day of the December storm saying "it's a clipper, it's a clipper, now it's a flipper" warning how things would warm. He had that call right as the rest of the winter dropped less than 5".

Crazy how I can remember it like it was yesterday, but weenie wounds never heal.

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Unfortunately the MEI may not update for awhile but I assume it’s deep into Niña mode

Makes sense, -PDO, strengthening GOA cold pool and recent uptick in tropical activity is consistent with a strengthening La Niña background state. It’s strange, with these observations you would expect a much stronger ONI response. Makes me wonder if there is a risk that the ONI plummets way more than expected, like a solidly moderate ONI peak or even close to strong. I’m not expecting that given where the ONI is currently at (sticking to my -0.8 to -1 call), but it is something that crossed my mind as a potential wild card factor for this winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qg_omega said:

You need to be literally insane to predict below normal temps in this rapidly warming climate

can you imagine what a genius one would look like then if they'd forecast this recent -aug that just happened in boston   lol     come to think about it, the stunningly 'hot' +0.3 that location put up for the next month, sep, is probably equally as difficult during this era of cc, too.   so may as well take the two months together.  (-0.7 + +0.3)/2 = -0.2 for the two together

i'm only mentioning because i've noticed recurrence of a se can/ne us cool pool, which seems to be quasi reproducible. i know why, or strongly suspect the reasons but tl;dr

just one quick thought.. if se can/ne us was in a relative temperature hole, then naturally ...we look around for a comparable hill - but there's a problem.  whenever we do, the hills are more like mountains, where's the valleys that are supposed to couple and make for a general neutral total ... don't.  i mean look what happened in phx and other areas of the sw/california while boston limped to a 2-month average of -0.2 ?    we are not balancing the landscape.  there's like a cool air drainage basin here.  look at canadian sep - warmest sep like ever... while boston limps.  not the first time i've seen this synoptic dumpster over se can/ne us

there's a bit of a perhaps sociological perspective that bugs me in this..    eastern n/a's mid latitudes are being enabled by the geometric base line perennial pattern - which features elevated heights west, with a flattening ( or subtle trough) in the east. that is creating the cool pool tendency - tendency not meaning it is always there...  and as such, the region is toned in "red" on the ipcc reports and whatever reports in the compendium. but this back-o-ball-bag heat is having more to overcome in order to manifest.  so is comparatively rarer.  it seems more and more so when i look around, these 'perennial hills' around the world are where the heat bombs are going off, where the canonical valleys are experiencing warming ... but since they lack specific synergistic events the sensible realization is a more tepid  cc response in those regions.  

it's all a perfect layout to hide cc from one of the very densest population of fossil fuel dependencies, one that could really use the smack in the face wake up call.  haha

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

can you imagine what a genius one would look like then if they'd forecast this recent -aug that just happened in boston   lol     come to think about it, the stunningly 'hot' +0.3 that location put up for the next month, sep, is probably equally as difficult during this era of cc, too.   so may as well take the two months together.  (-0.7 + +0.3)/2 = -0.2 for the two together

i'm only mentioning because i've noticed recurrence of a se can/ne us cool pool, which seems to be quasi reproducible. i know why, or strongly suspect the reasons but tl;dr

just one quick thought.. if se can/ne us was in a relative temperature hole, then naturally ...we look around for a comparable hill - but there's a problem.  whenever we do, the hills are more like mountains, where's the valleys that are supposed to couple and make for a general neutral total .... don't.  i mean look what happened in phx and other areas of the sw/california while boston limped to a 2-month average of -0.2 ?     we are not balancing the landscape.

there's a bit of a perhaps sociological perspective that bugs me in this..    eastern n/a's mid latitudes are being enabled by the geometric base line perennial pattern - which features elevated heights west, with a flattening ( or subtle trough) in the east. that is creating the cool pool tendency - tendency not meaning it is always there...  and as such, the region is toned in "red" on the ipcc reports and whatever reports in the compendium. but this back-o-ball-bag heat is having more to overcome in order to manifest.  so is comparatively rarer.  it seems more and more so when i look around, these 'perennial hills' around the world are where the heat bombs are going off, where the canonical valleys are experiencing warming ... but since they lack specific synergistic events the sensible realization is more tepid in the cc response. 

it's all a perfect layout to hide cc from one of the very densest population of fossil fuel dependencies, one that could really use the smack in the face wake up call.  haha

Glad I  don't care about cc. Lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Old location, BWI, had 8.5" for the season while current one had 15". No thanks. 

I do remember that clipper in 12/07 that dropped around 4"'imby. I remember  Will commiserating with you and others pointing out BWI had more than BOS. That didn't last very long. :weep:

Also, Bastardi posted the day of the December storm saying "it's a clipper, it's a clipper, now it's a flipper" warning how things would warm. He had that call right as the rest of the winter dropped less than 5".

Crazy how I can remember it like it was yesterday, but weenie wounds never heal.

Credit where credit is due….even for him. I remember another good call of his back at the end of January, 2011,  he said all of the high latitude blocking was about to completely break down in early February and declared that winter was about to end. The weenies wanted to throw rocks at him and were ripping him apart at the time. He turned out to be exactly right

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

just one quick thought.. if se can/ne us was in a relative temperature hole, then naturally ...we look around for a comparable hill - but there's a problem.  whenever we do, the hills are more like mountains, where's the valleys that are supposed to couple and make for a general neutral total ... don't.  i mean look what happened in phx and other areas of the sw/california while boston limped to a 2-month average of -0.2 ?    we are not balancing the landscape.  there's like a cool air drainage basin here.  look at canadian sep - warmest sep like ever... while boston limps.  not the first time i've seen this synoptic dumpster over se can/ne us

there's a bit of a perhaps sociological perspective that bugs me in this..    eastern n/a's mid latitudes are being enabled by the geometric base line perennial pattern - which features elevated heights west, with a flattening ( or subtle trough) in the east. that is creating the cool pool tendency - tendency not meaning it is always there...  and as such, the region is toned in "red" on the ipcc reports and whatever reports in the compendium. but this back-o-ball-bag heat is having more to overcome in order to manifest.  so is comparatively rarer.  it seems more and more so when i look around, these 'perennial hills' around the world are where the heat bombs are going off, where the canonical valleys are experiencing warming ... but since they lack specific synergistic events the sensible realization is a more tepid  cc response in those regions.  

These new 1991-2020 climate normals as so warm that a small +1.4 summer in Boston was still the 9th warmest average temperature at 73°. While I know farming and energy customers need these regular climate normals updates, they tend to minimize the warming which has occurred. The next time we see a cooler winter in the Northeast, it could be a result of the new much warmer winter climate normals. But would have been considered a warmer winter in our older climate era.

Time Series Summary for Boston Area, MA (ThreadEx)
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
1 2021 74.6 0
2 1983 74.1 0
- 1949 74.1 0
3 2022 74.0 0
4 1994 73.9 0
5 2019 73.7 0
- 2018 73.7 0
6 2016 73.6 0
- 2010 73.6 0
7 1952 73.4 0
8 1984 73.3 0
9 2024 73.0 0
- 1973 73.0 0
10 2020 72.9 0
- 2013 72.9 0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, qg_omega said:

You need to be literally insane to predict below normal temps in this rapidly warming climate

Except that normals have warmed so much that modestly BN isn’t all that cold anymore. And then wait til we get to 2001-30 normals!

38 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Credit where credit is due….even for him. I remember another good call of his back at the end of January, 2011,  he said all of the high latitude blocking was about to completely break down in early February and declared that winter was about to end. The weenies wanted to throw rocks at him and were ripping him apart at the time. He turned out to be exactly right

Probably because he already collected the seasonal subscriptions he expected by the end of January! Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

Except that normals have warmed so much that modestly BN isn’t all that cold anymore. And then wait til we get to 2001-30 normals!

Which will be the warmest 30 year normals of our lifetimes until.. the next 30 year averages 

• Like 1
  • 100% 2

32 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it’s never quite that simple

i don't think, or am not sure is probably better, that the pdo is causal? 

i may have even read this ...but the pdo is largely a result of aggregated ss stressing from wind patterns over some length of time.  so the warm or cool phases are distributive based on atmospheric-oceanic coupling, really.  in other words, the pdo is best describing where the momentum has been distributed. 

then people see these graphical products with pretty red or blue respectively ...and they go 'aha!'  red must make a ridge, then blue must make a trough.  it could in fact be these latter that formulate the former.  haha

but here's the thing - the sensitivity in defining the pdo cool and warm phases may also be sensitive below the threshold of atmospheric forcing anyway.  not sure how how a +.5 or a -.5 oceanic surface anomaly is a silver bullet to why chicago to washington has a cold or hot winter.   etc  

i could see maybe some sort of feedback at little... but what's the threshold?  is 1 deg c of sst anomaly enough ?   ...  .5 ... ? or is it 2, otherwise it's all bullshit. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i don't think, or am not sure is probably better, that the pdo is causal? 

i may have even read this ...but the pdo is largely a result of aggregated ss stressing from wind patterns over some length of time.  so the warm or cool phases are distributive based on atmospheric-oceanic coupling, really.  in other words, the pdo is best describing where the momentum has been distributed. 

then people see these graphical products with pretty red or blue respectively ...and they go 'aha!'  red must make a ridge, then blue must make a trough.  it could in fact be these latter that formulate the former.  haha

but here's the thing - the sensitivity in defining the pdo cool and warm phases may also be sensitive below the threshold of atmospheric forcing anyway.  not sure how how a +.5 or a -.5 oceanic surface anomaly is a silver bullet to why chicago to washington has a cold or hot winter.   etc  

i could see maybe some sort of feedback at little... but what's the threshold?  is 1 deg c of sst anomaly enough ?   ...  .5 ... ? or is it 2, otherwise it's all bullshit. 

yeah I think of it as more of a constructive/destructive interference indicator more than anything 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah I think of it as more of a constructive/destructive interference indicator more than anything 

Yes...exactly. It can either amplify/perpetuate or attenuate the pattern in place, but it does drive the hemispheric pattern in a vacuum. This is why there often a pretty exagerrated disconnect between the PDO and the PNA, the latter of which has a much more tangible impact on the nation's sensible weather. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snowman19 said:

@Bluewave

On a side note, you were correct about the Atlantic going right back into a +AMO look and that New Foundland marine heatwave is relentless 

The record warmth in Canada seems like a lingering El Niño influence combined with record Pacific WPAC warm pool going back to 2023.

IMG_1545.png.cfff2b227abea8f3b54016795b707d16.png

IMG_1546.png.ac39f743016bec62f78fad92715152d9.png

• Like 2

Currently, the ECMWF outlook continues to call for a warmer than normal winter across much of North America.

image.thumb.png.70af5701b256ea2df9d939d46d401f7e.png

Ongoing marine heatwaves north of Indonesia (with some Category 3 pockets) and in the North Pacific (pockets of Category 3 and 4 levels) are very likely contributing to the forecast.

image.png.e07e190ba1e8190080cf0819929da902.png

Those marine heatwaves, should they persist, could favor MJO Phases 4-6 during the winter and a negative to strongly negative PDO. Those outcomes are generally warm in the CONUS except for parts of the West.

image.png.afdf505eef9ee2d2be4d6f1c70f58af0.png

image.png.deceacd43099975023e8d409b519615a.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Currently, the ECMWF outlook continues to call for a warmer than normal winter across much of North America.

image.png

Ongoing marine heatwaves north of Indonesia (with some Category 3 pockets) and in the North Pacific (pockets of Category 3 and 4 levels) are very likely contributing to the forecast.

Those marine heatwaves, should they persist, could favor MJO Phases 4-6 during the winter and a negative to strongly negative PDO. Those outcomes are generally warm in the CONUS except for parts of the West.

Note that the Euro doesn’t even have the cold Canada like some others. Actually, the E half is downright mild (for Canada)!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

image.png

I called MJO 4 to 6 all winter a few months ago due to the forever maritime heatwave.  Nothing else really matters. NYC 4 to 6 above b DJF average.  Snow I like 12 on the season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

These new 1991-2020 climate normals as so warm that a small +1.4 summer in Boston was still the 9th warmest average temperature at 73°. While I know farming and energy customers need these regular climate normals updates, they tend to minimize the warming which has occurred. The next time we see a cooler winter in the Northeast, it could be a result of the new much warmer winter climate normals. But would have been considered a warmer winter in our older climate era.

Time Series Summary for Boston Area, MA (ThreadEx)
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
1 2021 74.6 0
2 1983 74.1 0
- 1949 74.1 0
3 2022 74.0 0
4 1994 73.9 0
5 2019 73.7 0
- 2018 73.7 0
6 2016 73.6 0
- 2010 73.6 0
7 1952 73.4 0
8 1984 73.3 0
9 2024 73.0 0
- 1973 73.0 0
10 2020 72.9 0
- 2013 72.9 0

Did you omit years? Looks like 2024 was 12th warmest at Boston (tied with 2 other years). Summer averages are not as wide ranging as winter. This summer would only be +1.9 using 1961-90 norms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Did you omit years? Looks like 2024 was 12th warmest at Boston (tied with 2 other years). Summer averages are not as wide ranging as winter. This summer would only be +1.9 using 1961-90 norms.

No. I used dense rank sorting by temperature.

https://medium.com/@kumarsatwik25/rank-and-dense-rank-in-sql-23ffcf77611e

DENSE RANK ():

The DENSE_RANK () function is a window function in SQL that assigns a unique rank to each distinct row within a result set, based on a specified ordering. Unlike the RANK () function, DENSE_RANK () does not leave gapsin the rank sequence when there are ties in the ordering. It ensures that rows with the same values in the ORDER BY clause receive the same rank, and the next rank is then incremented without any gaps.