Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

I am starting today. I have the initial area raked and soil loosened. I stick with Jonathan Green Black Beauty Original and use their Green up starter fertilizer.

Exactly the same here.  Prepped yesterday and will put the seed down this evening.  Unfortunately I can only do half of the backyard at once because of the dogs, so I’ve fenced that off and hope that it gains a foothold so that I can do the other half in about a month.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CAPE said:

The Black Beauty germinates quick this time of year. The area I seeded last Sunday produced seedlings by Friday. (that's when I noticed them)

How often do you water ?  Do you cover them with peat moss?  Did you areate before over seeding ?  

Congrats by the way ! 

28 minutes ago, frd said:

How often do you water ?  Do you cover them with peat moss?  Did you areate before over seeding ?  

Congrats by the way ! 

It's more reseeding than over seeding. Some places the grass survives and others it goes to thatch. Plus moss grows in between in many places. So I have to hard rake, rip out the moss and thatch, then I take a shovel and chop to loosen up the soil, remove clover, leftover moss etc. Then rake all that crap out lol. Then I put down the seed, fertilizer, and cover with a layer of peat moss, followed by EZ straw on top- great stuff btw if you haven't tried it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:48 PM, CAPE said:

It's more reseeding than over seeding. Some places the grass survives and others it goes to thatch. Plus moss grows in between in many places. So I have to hard rake, rip out the moss and thatch, then I take a shovel and chop to loosen up the soil, remove clover, leftover moss etc. Then rake all that crap out lol. Then I put down the seed, fertilizer, and cover with a layer of peat moss, followed by EZ straw on top- great stuff btw if you haven't tried it.

Its incredible how hard and dry the soil is. Soil moisture is extremely low.

I have yet to over seed because of the recent dryness and lack of rainfall. I am looking to do the project next Friday or Saturday after the rainfall, after that point air temps look to be much improved,  and soil temps should be excellent.  

currently soil moisture is at a 12 month low of 21.21 %  Yikes !!!!!

https://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-moisture

• Like 1