• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Ready for it. Just brought all the kids toys into the garage.

Just saw on a feed here that the police at the Minnesota State Fair were telling people to take shelter. Everything turn out OK?

I'm in the tiny SLIGHT today here in SON, Wunderground indicates chance of hail in some of those storms. Warming up fast to 29C later. SPC wrote:

Stronger mid-level winds
   associated with this feature will generally remain confined to
   Canada. But, modest enhancement to the west-southwesterly
   low/mid-level flow should be present over parts of Lower MI this
   afternoon.

Activity around here on Tuesday evening/night had prolific lightning production. It was probably a top 10 light show.

Ended up with a peak wind gust of 53MPH at ORD, with some blowing dirt/dust for awhile as well, as it has been dry and outflow winds were well ahead of any rain/t'storm activity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Activity around here on Tuesday evening/night had prolific lightning production. It was probably a top 10 light show.

Ended up with a peak wind gust of 53MPH at ORD, with some blowing dirt/dust for awhile as well, as it has been dry and outflow winds were well ahead of any rain/t'storm activity.

Have to agree that was the best night lightning I think I've ever seen

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Storms popped just to my east and wow impressive cloud deck. Don't get to see them this tall very often. I wish I could upload a Pic but quality and size of pic won't allow it.

Kinda surprised they fizzled out on their way to the metro

12 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Given some folks are still without power and clean up is still ongoing from the storms a few days ago, that was probably for the best.

14 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

Given some folks are still without power and clean up is still ongoing from the storms a few days ago, that was probably for the best.

Lapse rates being ass and lack of shear in the Metro saved us and yeah we don't need more destructive storms.

16 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Storms popped just to my east and wow impressive cloud deck. Don't get to see them this tall very often. I wish I could upload a Pic but quality and size of pic won't allow it.

If you can upload your pics on your computer (if you have one), you edit them in Paint. Resize, and change format (GIF), and they will be small enough to upload here without using a ton of bytes. I do this with all pics, if necessary, even NWS story board graphics. 

8 hours ago, Brian D said:

If you can upload your pics on your computer (if you have one), you edit them in Paint. Resize, and change format (GIF), and they will be small enough to upload here without using a ton of bytes. I do this with all pics, if necessary, even NWS story board graphics. 

Right on, thanks for the tip/info but most of the time not near my pc. 

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

Lapse rates being ass and lack of shear in the Metro saved us and yeah we don't need more destructive storms.

Not following severe weather and these parameters you just mentioned, it definitely felt muggy enough and with full sun I didn't expect the storms to fizzle. Just goes to show you how much goes into severe forecasting. Nws issued a watch so I think they thought the parameters were good enough but nonetheless they fizzled and you out meteorology'd them lol. Perhaps they were just playing it safe and getting the word out because as stated, many just went through bad storms a few days before.