• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

Pretty big changes on the GFS, which has been leading the way significantly imo.

Still an eternity to go in tropical time and a lot to sort out in the steering pattern specifics, but this is increasingly interesting. Note the ridge/trough in the last three runs. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91socft70oco2rnytl0j

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Don't you think it would be moving a little bit too fast to drop those totals?  That's Irene type rains for W MA.

That solution is unlikely just by virtue of it being a long range (by tropical standards) op run, but you can never count out tropical systems producing prolific rain totals within any 24 hour period, especially if terrain or trough enhancement is possible. 

Just to illustrate though..

As @ineedsnow notes, there’s the PRE with pretty hellacious convergence and enhancement.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91r78toa3zzhiifcbpar

rq9JhbP.png

Followed up by the event itself 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe918ahslxug8vu7ge6oud

The latest Euro abandons its Tennessee odyssey for now and brings it northeast, but aside from a brief heavy rain signal in SNE and Mid-Atlantic it’s OTS before a significant rain event for Atlantic Canada.

VxUNhwC.png

rSmSL1x.png

It’s easy to dismiss these systems around here because it takes a very specific set of circumstances to get meaningful tropical around here, but what makes this increasingly interesting to me at least is

1) the rain signal—this looks like a good PRE candidate even if it stays offshore, and

2) guidance wants to tuck this into the coast—yeah troughs can easily kick these, but the conditions that allow a tropical system to hug the coast northeast also create a larger than climo window for impacts further north. Not always or even often enough to hit (Matthew, Dorian) given inherently hostile climo any time of year, but it seems that once future Debbie misses the initial trough and gets pushed back toward the coast by the ridge and northward with the second trough, there’s a scenario in there where a threat could materialize. At this range I’d still hedge toward a climo kick OTS, but it’s worth a closer eye. This is kind of the scenario I envisioned a few weeks ago for August chances around here. 

Finally, this is really an eternity away but I was looking at the broader Atlantic environment to do a post about the coming weeks, and noticed that the environment isn’t necessarily a quickly fall apart type for this, especially depending on trough interaction and forward speed. 

BLiO3MM.png

XgaxRyK.jpeg

A lot more than you asked for lol but I love this stuff. 

https://schumacher.atmos.colostate.edu/research/galarneau_etal_2010_mwr.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tuesday through Friday

Trending cooler and toward some more unsettled weather next week as
a broad cyclonic flow develops over east CONUS/Canada. Ensemble
guidances suggests a wet period Tuesday night through Wednesday with
a cold front potentially pushing through The Northeast. Confidence
drops off considerably Wednesday and beyond as global models are
beginning to come into agreement on a potential tropical cyclone
moving up the east coast mid to late week. The potential development
and track of this system could affect the forecast in southern New
England later next week. Check the latest Tropical Weather Outlook
from The National Hurricane Center for more details.

19 hours ago, NotSureWeather said:

Feel like this is being dismissed a bit too early. It has stopped the trend west. Models seem a bit lost, but radar has looked okay for the past day or so. Once this gets off land the picture will be clearer. Still though, it looks decent considering the conditions. Seems to be somewhat symmetrical and decent outflow. It just needs an actual defined center lol.

Feel like this is being considered too early. 

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I was born in 90. I was 1 for Bob. Since then the best storm for eastern SNE was the no name storm in October a couple years ago. Forgive me for never being excited about tropical here until 1 day to go. 

I remember all the way back to Gloria ...  that one, for some reason, you just new when it was some 5 days away that it was coming up here.  I don't know how.  I mean the modeling tech underneath the newly arriving weather graphic technology was primitive compared to pita flop ( wait 'till QC cores come online), operating in parallel processing at dizzying computational speeds, all having access to much denser initialization data or interpolation methods ... Despite the comparatively HUGE learning disability of that yester-ear,                     it was coming. 

I have not sensed anything like that with the tropics since.   I have countless times with snow events  - just none of those since 2015 lol.

In fact, I think we're behind ( statistically ) on 'dramatic event climatology'?   I feel like VT's floods are about it ... but that's sort of not SNE, even though we share the same sforum bandwidth.  Maybe the Monson tornado... but I sorta don't count town scaled anomalies... I mean real pan dimensional regional concerns... Doesn't even have to be state of em regional juggernaut headlines, but give us a 90 percenter big anything?  It's been rather docile.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ideally we want this going west of us . Like an Isaias type path 

Well ... thankfully for you, then, off all possibilities, that's the lowest. 

There's a much better chance that this will smear out S of here - once the models inevitably correct for amplitude bias in that range, overall. 

I'd even venture there's a better chance for this thing coming on board and rotting in the TV before getting west of CT.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well ... thankfully for you, then, off all possibilities, that's the lowest. 

There's a much better chance that this will smear out S of here - once the models inevitably correct for amplitude bias in that range, overall. 

I'd even venture there's a better chance for this thing coming on board and rotting in the TV before getting west of CT.

We don’t get you 

• Like 2