Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Four more days for things to change, but right now the cone is centered on Bradenton.  Hope that the eastern Gulf is still a bit cooled from Helene's passage.

The warm water is pretty deep and didn't make much of a impact.. a few of the  slower GEFS members are trying to take the remnants close to here now.. with only one strong member

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s a known meteorological fact storms are guided near shore by coasts . They like to seek out the water as long as possible . The shape of TB generally dictates that storms will not make direct LF  especially moving north or northeast 

Kev... You make my head hurt....lol.  I must of missed the lecture on its a known meteorological "fact" that storms are guided near shore by coasts? If only it was that simple; we could save a crap load of money currently being spent on sophisticated models.  Also trying to use personification "they seek" when dealing with final track is a bit much. In certain cases, there are relatively small shifts or wobbles as the low level circulation interacts with the coastline, but they are very minor and the basic track is always governed by the large scale flow above and around the circulation.  There are many coastal areas that seem to have a protective hurricane shield, but it's the climatological history of the large scale upper level flow that protects them, not the shape of the coastline.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Crap 1
  • 100% 1

One of the experiences on "my bucket list" is to be standing in the eye of a Major Hurricane. ***NOT IN MY YARD***

Oh, baby here we go. Chances are increasing for just that with each run. I'm so far inland fear of surge or flooding should bypass (LAT 28.97, LON 81.63) None from the former and negligible on the latter.
Milton for obvious reasons I will prep for.  

• Like 1

Intensifying Tropical Storm Milton Poses Grave Threat to Tampa-St Petersburg Mid-Week

Likely to Reach Hurricane Status by Monday 

The Current Situation:

While the state of Florida and much of the southeastern US continues reeling from the impact of Hurricane Helene during the latter portion of September, the merciless tropics are preparing for another debilitating blow. As of 5pm EDT, Tropical Storm Milton was located near latitude 22.7 N and longitude and 95.5 W. It was drifting NNE at 3 mph with maximum sustained winds at 40mph and minimum central pressure of 1006mb.

AVvXsEgIjuRcgc1WnySTaDyjMqQi9N8S-n5_eKnz

Track Forecast for Milton:

Milton will continue drifting tonight before beginning a more concerted motion to the ENE during the day on Sunday, as the ridge over the northwest Caribbean Sea begins to move away to the east and the steering flow intensifies from the WSW around its northwestern periphery. 

AVvXsEjdYjeUSrXsKk1ETKq0E4B89oj6RBQztrlS
AVvXsEj610PFj5vdpM_B52HgX7l7bElXyUwzM6Tz
This general motion will continue with an acceleration on Tuesday, at which point the system will begin to drive through a weakness in the subtropical ridge in association with the amplifying trough responsible for the fall preview over the northeast during the the coming week. This scenario would place the central west coast of the FL peninsula at greatest risk of landfall mid week, with the Tamp Bay Area particularly vulnerable. However, while this general scenario is of relatively high confidence, there remain finer scale details that could have large consequences for specific areas that could change at this lead time.

Intensity Forecast for Milton Evokes Deja-Vu from Hurricane Helene

Atmospheric conditions are very favorable for intensification, however, it is likely to be a relatively slow, albeit steady process for approximately the next 36-48 hours. 

AVvXsEi2JPru-5v0Lgpo8NgQodA1hOXiqWXobFuJ
This is due to the fact that the Milton is still in its incipient stages of development and the nascent central dense overcast (CDO) is not yet fully developed.

AVvXsEhCzDnL92GEnlGqQzNW31hKY08eoShgo2yZ

Beyond the this window, the system will begin to encounter a window of essentially pristine atmospheric conditions overnight Monday into the daylight hours on Tuesday as it traverses the loop current, at which point maximum intensity (approximately 130mph sustained winds) will be achieved and internal processes will begin to modulate intensity until approximately the early morning hours of Wednesday. 
AVvXsEjp5fk9FdqXbJ9dyYknERNWNuxho6FGsu-o

AVvXsEh-ey7um5uIXhTduFkE90Qe6cIcQQR0CDSf
Milton's Odds of Becoming a Major Hurricane by Tuesday are 4.4x Climo

Note that Milton will be traversing the area of exceptionally deep and warm waters of the loop current while encountering its most favorable upper level dynamics, which includes a very moist environment and poleward augmented outflow by strong wind shear to the north.

AVvXsEgwFW3vlqspKhHYIoHYpSz0b_imFn9DCfLG

AVvXsEgxL-SM5JGG6yZkZhJ_DDjSWdhHplM672Rg
This is eerily similar to the confluence of environmental factors at this precise location that triggered the more accelerated rate of intensification of Hurricane Helene late last month.

tchp.png
However, there are two key differences that are likely to result in a weaker landfall intensity of Milton relative to Helene.  First of all, whereas Helene's direction of movement continued essentially parallel with the shear vector all the way to the coast, Milton will be moving ENE as it encounters southwesterly shear beginning during the predawn hours on Wednesday. 

AVvXsEjpbfVlfvVuW9nkrd2fKOeh2c23NumDSdnM

This should induce a more steady and accelerated rate of weakening. Secondly, Milton's smaller size relative to Helene will render it more susceptible to negative atmospheric influences such as wind shear, thus drier air is also more likely to be entrained into the core as the system is disrupted by the aforementioned shear on final approach to the coast. 

AVvXsEjJz44PWxcA9TdWpOYWXcT3gmr3umHGpBWy

That being said, this will remain a bonafide hurricane on approach to the coast and a track just to the north of Tampa Bay would devastate an area that is especially vulnerable to storm surge with a strong onshore flow from the west that will be augmented by the storm's movement.

Be sure to check back for Final Call on Tuesday, as the intensity forecast is especially  likely to change at this lead time.

FIRST CALL:

AVvXsEiek-H7OAhhVoVE-9rYBERIYArgA__oNwX4

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bobbutts said:

what an epic run, at first I didn't even notice that was the second hurricane

Holy smokes…ya I thought that was the one that’s gonna hit this Wednesday lol. But it’s an entirely different one.  Ya that’s big time fantasy land though. 

48 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Holy smokes…ya I thought that was the one that’s gonna hit this Wednesday lol. But it’s an entirely different one.  Ya that’s big time fantasy land though. 

I’m still far from sold, but the GFS has done well sniffing out CAG/western Caribbean stuff and it would continue the theme of the lid being off. There is a little EPS support from what I saw too this morning. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brewbeer said:

Glad we dont live there

Alot at stake being a populated area to which many have never experienced. LF appears to be trending S with uncertainty catching many by surprise. Not liking the Hurr. models spitting out intensities to such a degree, hopefully shear and drier air gets rapped into which would be a double-edged sword- expanding the wind field.

I'm living close enough to be very concerned. I have a huge Southern Oak overhanging the lanai in the back of the house not exposed to such strong winds in a longtime.        

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Tampa will escape another one I’m betting. Something always saves them. 

That can be said for many areas on the East Coast and even the Gulf Coast. There are only so many major hurricanes every year so odds are not high for most major cities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That can be said for many areas on the East Coast and even the Gulf Coast. There are only so many major hurricanes every year so odds are not high for most major cities. 

True.   But they’ve been under the gun a lot, and then escape a direct hit.  Just an observation.  

17 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

If I book a flight for Tuesday morning will airports still be open in Florida at that time (MCO) ? There's a 730 take off from BDL

I would imagine Orlando would still be taking flights. It's just a guess though

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

If I book a flight for Tuesday morning will airports still be open in Florida at that time (MCO) ? There's a 730 take off from BDL

If you believe the most recent GFS run you have plenty of time. 

"The 18Z GFS landfalls near Crystal River and isn’t til 11AM EDT on Thu!"

• Like 1