Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Canes don’t like going into Tampa Bay due to the shape of the coastline.  It’ll be south of there 

Ya I was tempted to book a flight but going to wait until Monday morning if it still looks to be heading that way. My brother isn't far from Tampa but nothing big seems to hit that area..they have to run out of luck at some point though

My best friend lives in St. Pete, and some other good friends of mine live just south of there in Bradenton. I would hope they don't get a direct hit. Even Helene that just bypassed them caused them extreme damage along the coastline. It brought sand all the way in and buried cars and ruined properties right along the outer coastline. As exciting as it sounds to have something hit an area like that..... if you have a major storm come right in on them, it would be devastating for everyone, even many miles inland. Look what Helene did up into North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and of course Florida. 

It's a catch 22 for me. It's exciting to watch a storm coming in to see what it's going to be like where it hits, but then you think about the people that are affected, and it makes me think twice about watching a storm come in with devastating results. It's tough. When I was about 19 years old, I remember driving into Rhode Island when Bob hit... With most exhilarating experience, I've had being stuck in a hotel as a storm was hitting. Fast forward to now, and I don't think I'd want to do that, knowing what could happen as far as the damage and lives being lost.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Canes don’t like going into Tampa Bay due to the shape of the coastline.  It’ll be south of there 

Why didn't the shape of the coastline protect them in 1848 and 1921?  The actual shape of the coast has little to no impact on landfall track, it always comes down to short term steering currents that for a variety of reasons have favored orientations & alignments not tied to coastal plain shape.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Why didn't the shape of the coastline protect them in 1848 and 1921?  The actual shape of the coast has little to no impact on landfall track, it always comes down to short term steering currents that for a variety of reasons have favored orientations & alignments not tied to coastal plain shape.  

I imagine he means the shape is favorable to “misses” relative to climatological tracks much like coastal GA is and the Outer Banks are, but who knows lol.  

Agree with your point though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Also, this would’ve been primed to ride the coast…if we weren’t San Diego. :lol: 

I've been wanting to chase for awhile and seems like something always happens so I cant.. my brother lives in Lakeland so might be a perfect chance this time..  just hoping I can find a flight Monday and leave Tuesday morning.. I would book earlier but with my luck it wont be much or landfall somewhere else lol

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

I've been wanting to chase for awhile and seems like something always happens so I cant.. my brother lives in Lakeland so might be a perfect chance this time..  just hoping I can find a flight Monday and leave Tuesday morning.. I would book earlier but with my luck it wont be much or landfall somewhere else lol

It’s likely to be something. Landfall zone is the issue. The problem is if you’re looking to chase you can’t hold yourself to one location. If you just want impacts sure but if you are trying to get into the core you honestly won’t know if that’s going to happen until a few hours before landfall even in the best of cases. 

37 minutes ago, FXWX said:

It’s a known meteorological fact storms are guided near shore by coasts . They like to seek out the water as long as possible . The shape of TB generally dictates that storms will not make direct LF  especially moving north or northeast 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s likely to be something. Landfall zone is the issue. The problem is if you’re looking to chase you can’t hold yourself to one location. If you just want impacts sure but if you are trying to get into the core you honestly won’t know if that’s going to happen until a few hours before landfall even in the best of cases. 

ya I understand all of that lol Lakeland looks to be  a good spot to start off right now.. But not booking and have to travel 400 miles :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Model after model is pinpointing TB Clearwater are with RFQ.

Really thinking I'm going to go just waiting a couple days to make sure there's no drastic model changes.. I'll get to see my brother and dad either way though.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s a known meteorological fact storms are guided near shore by coasts . They like to seek out the water as long as possible . The shape of TB generally dictates that storms will not make direct LF  especially moving north or northeast 

Might not hold for a 'cane coming in on a course perpendicular to the coastline.

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

@40/70 Benchmark we’ve seen a lot of close calls and false alarms over the years, and this one is still far from settled…but this looks as close to “the one” for Tampa as I’ve seen since Charley. Look at the TC report from Josephine in the 90s. Nine feet of surge north of Tampa and 4-6’ near the Bay. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Is this expected to track up the coast in a diminished form like the examples above?

Nope. It’d be a ripe candidate but the TC force field is strong this fall in our neck of the woods. 

• Like 1