Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

3 hours ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Has anyone noticed how healthy Isaac looks ( not that it's going to affect us )? I really think the National Hurricane center is too conservative with the strength of this storm. I'm wondering if they will revise their wind speed strength in the future as 105 seems wrong from the looks of the storm on radar. 

Quality over quantity season for sure. 

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

The scope and span of the damage to property is remarkable.  Maybe it won't be more costly than Katrina but it's gotta be close.  Not to mention the growing death toll (now >100 with hundreds more not accounted for).  

As more pictures and videos come out the damage seems unimaginable.

Entire neighborhood washed away, long stretches of roads washed away, bridges destroyed.  The national media is just today starting to pick up on how bad it was.  Tens of thousands of people’s lives are still going to be affected long after we have forgotten about it.

• 100% 1

46 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

As more pictures and videos come out the damage seems unimaginable.

Entire neighborhood washed away, long stretches of roads washed away, bridges destroyed.  The national media is just today starting to pick up on how bad it was.  Tens of thousands of people’s lives are still going to be affected long after we have forgotten about it.

Yup.  People are going to go weeks and even months without power and water.  It is BAD.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Worse. This will be the storm of record for a lot of people.

Helene's rain covered at least 10x the area of Camille's Apps flooding, but the earlier storm dumped up to 26" in 5 hours on some central/west spots in Virginia.  (That's about what NYC recorded for all of 1965!)  In that more limited area, the damages/casualties (~115) were equal or worse than Helene - though the total of fatalities from Helene will be, sadly, almost certain to be higher.

• Like 2

I’m thinking Camille’s Hurricane effects and destruction in the area where it made landfall, were much more intense and worse(Cat 5 monster) than Helene’s were at landfall.  I think that’s where these storms differ.  However, Helene’s monstrous rain and bigger physical size covered/and hit a much larger area, which makes it devastating in that regard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

I’m thinking Camille’s Hurricane effects and destruction in the area where it made landfall, were much more intense and worse(Cat 5 monster) than Helene’s were at landfall.  I think that’s where these storms differ.  However, Helene’s monstrous rain and bigger physical size covered/and hit a much larger area, which makes it devastating in that regard. 

If we’re just talking landfall zone, I think that’s true, but storms don’t end there of course. The surge of this one was record breaking and far reaching too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, Agreed Don. 

What a monster Camille was. Completed an ERC just offshore and quickly reintensified to 175mph/900mb. Just unreal. 

All of our 5’s rapidly intensified within 3 days of landfall. It’s about timing and “luck” as much as anything else. 

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What a monster Camille was. Completed an ERC just offshore and quickly reintensified to 175mph/900mb. Just unreal. 

All of our 5’s rapidly intensified within 3 days of landfall. It’s about timing and “luck” as much as anything else. 

Yes, she was a total beast…that’s a different league altogether in terms of pure strength.  I think that was more my point when I mentioned how devastating it was when it came ashore as a behemoth of that intensity….and she got all that fury right down to ground level as she arrived.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Portions of I40 and I26 have been removed from google maps and GPS mapping. Going to be an absolute nightmare for those trying to navigate down that way. Who knows how long its going to take them to rebuild some of those stretches 

This sums it up pretty well.  It's going to take months and months.  It's 5 steps just to get to something critical like water.  https://ibb.co/gdM34M3

• Sad 1