• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

I know most here don’t care, but it’s really interesting to me just how inconsistent and sometimes downright bad the models have been at range with regard to track. They’ve waffled a lot—whether it was taking Beryl from a Mexico coast landfall to just outside Houston (most), or keeping Debby out of the Gulf (Euro) and driving it into Alabama after landfall (GFS). The Euro and GFS seem like they’re circling each other. When one goes west, the other goes east beyond D5.

It’s a huge shift west on the euro tonight, but history suggests it will be hundreds of miles east 12 hours from now. Just an interesting seasonal theme I’ve noticed. 

As it has been from the beginning, this is a real threat to Canada. Without that initial trough turning this north early it probably would’ve become a major east coast hit with the second trough orientation we see across guidance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I know most here don’t care, but it’s really interesting to me just how inconsistent and sometimes downright bad the models have been at range with regard to track. They’ve waffled a lot—whether it was taking Beryl from a Mexico coast landfall to just outside Houston (most), or keeping Debby out of the Gulf (Euro) and driving it into Alabama after landfall (GFS). The Euro and GFS seem like they’re circling each other. When one goes west, the other goes east beyond D5.

It’s a huge shift west on the euro tonight, but history suggests it will be hundreds of miles east 12 hours from now. Just an interesting seasonal theme I’ve noticed. 

As it has been from the beginning, this is a real threat to Canada. Without that initial trough turning this north early it probably would’ve become a major east coast hit with the second trough orientation we see across guidance. 

That’s why it’s so stupid for folks to say it’s gone and what not at 7 days out…it’s as bad as wishcasting all the time. We know the models are really horrible at 5-7 days out…and especially so with tropical systems. 

In 12 hrs(one run) the Euro shifted about 500 miles west. 

This thing is still weak and disorganized, and its track is still not certain. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

4 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

That’s why it’s so stupid for folks to say it’s gone and what not at 7 days out…it’s as bad as wishcasting all the time. We know the models are really horrible at 5-7 days out…and especially so with tropical systems. 

In 12 hrs(one run) the Euro shifted about 500 miles west. 

This thing is still weak and disorganized, and its track is still not certain. 

It’s not stupid. We knew. There is a specific H5 setup to bring it here and it never had that look. It’s pretty clear that when it does not have that look it won’t come. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I def. noticed that because I track/forecast tha tone.....Ernesto I could not give two taints about. I knew Berly wasn't going into MX.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What boring few years of weather...if I hadn't had my own private blizzard last January, I would have completely lost it.

I had 8 inches from a narrow strip during a clipper in February. That was my excitement. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

What’s a specific h5 setup

You basically need a deep trough in the Ohio Valley and a ridge in the Atlantic steering this N to NW near Hatteras and then NNE into New England. More or less. If this was near the Bahamas we might have had a chance. As it is, it’s taking a north turnmuch too far east.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Senses like people are dancing around using model uncertainty to perpetuate their dopamine drip. But, using the old school performance expectation -

the models are WAY better than they were even 10 years ago. In fact, it's not a descriptive leap to suggest there's been a kind of 'hockey stick' upgrade in performance since 2010.  This seems to have coincided with better tropical sounding density, improved theoretical physical processing, and sweeping upgrades in computational speeds ... In other words, it's no accident or luck - "modeling" has demonstrated that there's more confidence/narrowed 'cone of uncertainty' widths at D5 by a considerable improvement comparing the aughts of this century. 

SO, ...when the TC in question isn't coming to ring your doorbell, and the pattern surrounding is also less than conducive to that visitation ... we really can't justify holding out as much hope because we've got D5 to 7 to work with. 

Typically ...this kind of observation/op ed statement above will be summarily read as an absolute door slam, nope can't happen extremeness of intent... Which is also bad reading comprehension. I'm merely saying that you have to slide your expectations more toward trusting the D5 pattern ( withing which the TC is geophysical btw - ) more than you used to, and less toward getting a little addictive fix that there is just as much chance the next run will be the full crack-rock.  lol...  because, the "chances" are not like they were is previous generation. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I def. noticed that because I track/forecast tha tone.....Ernesto I could not give two taints about. I knew Berly wasn't going into MX.

Most of us knew it, but the models didn’t until just a few days before and I think it had a real world impact on Houston.

Definitely not saying it’s coming here or even hitting land, but the model performance this season especially with track leaves a lot to be desired imo. 

For New England to even sniff significant impacts you’d need the NE turn near Bermuda to essentially evaporate, and a stronger ECONUS trough to fully capture. That’s going to be extremely hard to do. I wonder if something like that is even in the record idk.

Partial capture does nothing for New England imo, but for Atlantic Canada a partial capture likely brings a hit there.