Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I see this is going to be an excruciating week of reading. Christ. :lol: 

This is why we’re all here. We all have different interests and fetishes with various wx aspects. Some folks get off on rains and flooding and others on high wind / severe etc. Amyone not near. River or flooding area doesn’t get too jacked up on big rains other risk from an interest / jackpot point of view. Anyone in the hills with 5-10+ isn’t really affected. It probably won’t cut west like models are showing but if it ever did and strengthens as it transitions to ET.. I’d much prefer that . That’s just me . 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is why we’re all here. We all have different interests and fetishes with various wx aspects. Some folks get off on rains and flooding and others on high wind / severe etc. Amyone not near. River or flooding area doesn’t get too jacked up on big rains other risk from an interest / jackpot point of view. Anyone in the hills with 5-10+ isn’t really affected. It probably won’t cut west like models are showing but if it ever did and strengthens as it transitions to ET.. I’d much prefer that . That’s just me . 

Different interests for sure. Nothing wrong with it. Just crazy reading at times.

Unless that trough trends much deeper I have a hard time believing a Hudson like track. I think something near or just south of the south coast is most likely, bringing plenty of rain to the region. It’d still need to be pretty vigorous aloft for a severe threat if it’s going west, which I guess is possible as guidance (minus GFS) has some deepening of the low at our latitude. 

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We're trying to get back to this...

image.jpeg

I’d say I’ll take it for lake effect snow, but I don’t think it works with southerly flow in January. 

Not sure I get the mod zone in NJ by the WPC, but man a 3 day high risk in the SE is crazy. Charleston goes underwater on sunny days.

...Mid-Atlantic/southern portions of the Northeast...

A Moderate Risk area was raised for extreme northeast Maryland,
southeast Pennsylvania and central/southern New Jersey where there
is a growing signal for a PRE (predecessor rain event) to unfold
as Tropical Cyclone Debby impacts the Southeast/Mid- Atlantic
region. Training convection will refire with daytime heating
Tuesday afternoon, continuing into Tuesday night. From Baltimore
northeast up the I-95 corridor to the Boston metro, training
storms and urbanization may cause an outsized risk of flash
flooding. While there is some spread in the guidance in where the
front will stall, the training storms will be capable of dumping 2
to 4 inches, locally 5+ inches which would quickly surpass local
FFGs and lead to scattered to possibly widespread instances of
flooding.

Bit experimental but ...

There is low frequency signal for -AAM toward mid month. This correlates to strengthening of Hadley cell components ... one of which is subtropical ridge robustness coming along with it. 

But, this is good news for 'tropical event enthusiasts' as it creates a conducive environment; anticipating less shear at lower latitudes ( underneath the canonical nodes).   Thus, with easterlies tending to improve, a general lowering of TW to environment relative shear would be logical.  

I saw that and wondered what the MJO is up to.

Nice, "...• MJO activity entering the Indian Ocean favors increased tropical cyclone activity over the
Atlantic basin,
with activity becoming more suppressed over the West Pacific and East Pacific..."

It's like winning the lottery there a little bit ...  you create a globally improved probability, then ...within that realm, the wave happens to time better for the Atlantic Basin.  

By the way, this shows up somewhat in the telecon spreads as well.  The EPO is abruptly rising from -1 to +.5 or +1 SD by the 12th of the month.  At that time, the PNA has collapsed toward neutral-negative, while the NAO is bouncing around between 0 and +1 SD.   These projections have also been stable in the guidance outlooks for the last week. Despite the mid warm season correlation weakness ... this is still also a low frequency signal for less N-S orientation and more W-E structures, favoring ridge expansion.    I'm sort of getting OT for tropical talk at this point ... but a warm signal is actually better for MDR correlation, because this limits the early extraction from the tropics in lieu of keeping activity moving W, longer; thus, improving odds of having to said events actually take place where the 'tropical event enthusiast' wants them happening.   heh

Anyway, in short, I can see why the MDR is entering another > probability period ( not just because its August, wise ass) without the MJO consideration, but having the UVM tendencies et al passing over the domain ... I like the mid month for genesis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Have to watch the Atlantic ridge. The track of Debby shifted west because of that stronger than modeled. 

I don't think that was the case. 

1) When Debbie was a swirl of clouds, forecast models struggled since there was no defined center yet, that's why there was a large disparity in initial track, anywhere from eastern Gulf to the southwest Atlantic. Models would just pick up on random bursts of convection as a "Center". However, once the swirl organized into a tropical wave and eventually developed a more defined center, it was much easier for models to get a handle on the track. 

2) With no steering flow, Debbie just sat and spun across the Southeast and meandered into the Atlantic, off the coast. Now that we have somewhat of a trough digging up north, combined with an approaching front, the remnants of Debbie are being driven northwards. 

I don't think strength of ATL ridge played much of a factor here.

• Like 1