Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

15 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

We going to have to have a monstrous peak and a season which persists in Dec at this rate

I think the SST and OHC anomalies make it much more likely we have a November extension just like 2020, but obviously ASO are prime time for US impacts. Hyperactive still looks as close to a lock as you can get to me. Even if the wake up is delayed to say mid August. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think the SST and OHC anomalies make it much more likely we have a November extension just like 2020, but obviously ASO are prime time for US impacts. Hyperactive still looks as close to a lock as you can get to me. Even if the wake up is delayed to say mid August. 

I would imagine once we get into a more favorable state things can get active real quick. And I'm getting beyond my knowledge here so hence the vague sentence lol. I would imagine we're dead right now because of unfavorable MJO phase or is there just too much subsidence over the Basin?

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I would imagine once we get into a more favorable state things can get active real quick. And I'm getting beyond my knowledge here so hence the vague sentence lol. I would imagine we're dead right now because of unfavorable MJO phase or is there just too much subsidence over the Basin?

It can be as fast as an atmospheric switch flip in August and September. We see that even in mediocre years.

To your second question, it’s both, but the unfavorable MJO also promotes stability in addition to sinking air over the basin, which combined with it being the climatological peak of SAL, kills everything in the usual intraseaonal annual lull. The following images are from Michael Lowry. Note the massive spike of SAL in July with a rapid (albeit still high) decline. With the coming MJO change I’d expect SAL to be below the climatological norm by mid August even with additional SAL pulses. 

A6kfVpc.jpeg
tHmGJMa.png

I should also note that if we do see early August activity, especially if it’s higher end, that’s also likely a harbinger of things to come. Research shows that this period has actually been an annual nadir since the AMO flip in the 90s.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It can be as fast as an atmospheric switch flip in August and September. We see that even in mediocre years.

To your second question, it’s both, but the unfavorable MJO also promotes stability in addition to sinking air over the basin, which combined with it being the climatological peak of SAL, kills everything in the usual intraseaonal annual lull. The following images are from Michael Lowry. Note the massive spike of SAL in July with a rapid (albeit still high) decline. With the coming MJO change I’d expect SAL to be below the climatological norm by mid August even with additional SAL pulses. 

A6kfVpc.jpeg
tHmGJMa.png

I should also note that if we do see early August activity, especially if it’s higher end, that’s also likely a harbinger of things to come. Research shows that this period has actually been an annual nadir since the AMO flip in the 90s.

Great stuff, thank you!

• Like 3

And so, it begins. 
Long tracking tropical entities. Weekly formation in the MDR with several traversing come peak time.
I have a bad feeling for the E Coast. Seems all the parameters are aligned.

Going out on a limb here. Several, (4) Major Hurricanes tracking in the same trajectory with back-to-back LF's somewhere in the Gulf or along the E Coast. Florida can ill afford any hurricane because of insurance rates going through the roof. 

• Like 4

Not sure what the Euro is picking up on but it seems pretty dead to me through at least the first half of August. At some point things will ramp up just because of climo but lots of shear, dry air, and dust. Not even seeing much in the way of waves coming off Africa and any that do are weak and fizzle. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Not sure what the Euro is picking up on but it seems pretty dead to me through at least the first half of August. At some point things will ramp up just because of climo but lots of shear, dry air, and dust. Not even seeing much in the way of waves coming off Africa and any that do are weak and fizzle. 

2 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

We watch

Hadn’t been following until now but on first real glance the Atlantic lemon looks legit. Whether it’s a threat to the US remains to be seen but it may be given the steering pattern next week. 

• Like 1

**this is speculative discussion on a long range op run**

If you’re looking for a NE threat, the 12z Euro is probably how you do it. I doubt there’s a classic cutoff over the GL Region to draw up a Long Island Express, but a stronger/more expansive ridge and weaker/slower trough should guide something around the periphery of the ridge. 

• Like 4