Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
VA/WVA/MD/DC CHRISTMAS 2010 OBS THREAD

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well made it in to work..roads were terrible over here on the eastern shore. I'm outside of Greensboro. lots of drifting. somewhat of a bust i guess but not bad here.. just missed the heavy snow which fell over in DE. I didn't measure but saw a report a few miles south of me of 5.9 inches and that looks about right. I saw Ocean City had 13.5 and Rehobeth 14.5 and most of interior DE and lower eastern shore had 8-12".

one thing i will say..it was somewhat ridiculous and almost 'arrogant' the discussion amongst some that a heavy band of snow ALWAYS forms further west on the back edge (over I-95 or just west of there) than projected, and that this would occur in this storm. I know this possibility was mentioned on LWX AFD as well. that is just sillyness...all these storms are different and with the well offshore track that was just not likely to occur. SPC nailed it in their mesoscale discussion targeting most of Delaware and eastern 2/3 of NJ for the strong lift and location for these heavy snow bands to set up and that was dead on.

The storm just didn't have the moisture in the west that we usually see. We will get hit again soon, no worries.

On a more positive note, I really like the long range theory about the weak sun, maybe it will make winters with negative nao and cold more common.

one thing i will say..it was somewhat ridiculous and almost 'arrogant' the discussion amongst some that a heavy band of snow ALWAYS forms further west on the back edge (over I-95 or just west of there) than projected, and that this would occur in this storm. I know this possibility was mentioned on LWX AFD as well. that is just sillyness...all these storms are different and with the well offshore track that was just not likely to occur. SPC nailed it in their mesoscale discussion targeting most of Delaware and eastern 2/3 of NJ for the strong lift and location for these heavy snow bands to set up and that was dead on.

A band did try to set up west of DC. It just fizzled out. Go back to pounding sand, weenie.

I'm a grown adult and I am having a hard time making this pit feeling in my stomach go away. I know it will but today...probably not. Pretty cool though to see the big snows in Jersey some of those dudes are good guys and I am happy for them. That nasty dryslot I kept seeing on the models/ruc and radar yesterday did a job on some of the totals in Mass...I hope they are ok.

I'm a grown adult and I am having a hard time making this pit feeling in my stomach go away. I know it will but today...probably not. Pretty cool though to see the big snows in Jersey some of those dudes are good guys and I am happy for them. That nasty dryslot I kept seeing on the models/ruc and radar yesterday did a job on some of the totals in Mass...I hope they are ok.

I saw a post in the NE thread that there was 6 hours with not a flake of snow for parts of Connecticut and Mass due to dryslot. that usually happens somewhere unfortunately.

I said it last night, and the feeling remains today: It really, really sucks to go through it watching the totals pile up elsewhere, but once it's over I can look at the positives of not having all that snow on the ground when the warmup comes late in the week.

My parents in South Jersey got in on that little dryslot that developed between the band in central Jersey and the one in SE PA/SW Jersey, so their totals were reduced quite a bit (about 9" or so). My sister, on the other hand, lives in Ocean County, and got pummeled....absolutely pummeled (still waiting for word from her, but unofficial totals in her area were over 30"). Other sister and brother got a solid foot in SJ.

Dryslot for SNE? Say it ain't so!!!

Probably the worst weather combo of all time. Especially when everyone within an hour of DC/Baltimore just got plowable snow.

It's terrible weather made worse by the fact that we're rimjobbing the snowanus that sits over us.

mmm, i think it tricked us..

So did the models. I'm still bitter about the GFS and its "bad data" for three runs in a row.

I saw a post in the NE thread that there was 6 hours with not a flake of snow for parts of Connecticut and Mass due to dryslot. that usually happens somewhere unfortunately.

looks like from central ct east totals were lower than expected but still a lot more than here so...

It wasn't a wishcast you clown. I am well east of DC. It wouldn't have done jack squat for me. Learn something?

we were too far west for banding really.. that thing did look deformish for like 30 min and maybe it was kind of but not really.

I'm riding the January 9th-10th storm on the 12z GFS....let's start tracking tonight and stay up till 2am then get up at 5am everyday until the storm happens....ok guys!!! who's with me?

We'll all claim that we won't follow it, but we also know that, if any of the models gives us a shot at plowable snow, we'll all be up waiting for the 0Z Euro.

Archived