Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
VA/WVA/MD/DC CHRISTMAS 2010 OBS THREAD

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts on whether Balt dc get bumped to a wwa in a few hours?

No way. Once they go warning they rarely go back. Maybe tomorrow afternoon if it's clear that there won't be widespread 5"+ areas they'll downgrade those counties. But because there has been little talk about the storm and the amount of travel that will occur tomorrow, they will be more inclined to leave them up to alert the public.

They actually look like they came even a little more west, get some sleep and hopefully when we wake up tomorrow it will be snowing nicely and the SREFs will verify.

Yeah I was about to say... they look even wetter

I'm trying not to be a Big Juicy Hotdog... but that low off the SC coast looks like it wants to go boom very soon...

I am a good bit more east than you but im sure i will only end up with an inch or 2 more then you max. We are in this together we need it where the RUC or SREFs show it or it will not be a major event.

Man I hope so...

Man I'm huggin that SREF! The event starts in 5 hours... and the SREF/NAM are so different, and I can't find what the heck the problem is. NAM is a bit too weak, yes, but can that account for the huge shift? ECMWF was a disaster, RGEM was not good. If I'm going to give weight to a model, given the feeback errors in the american models, Seems like Major Storm:Nusance event is probably weighted 3:2 in probability? Thats just my personal idea, which means I'm probably wrong....

Man I hope so...

Man I'm huggin that SREF! The event starts in 5 hours... and the SREF/NAM are so different, and I can't find what the heck the problem is. NAM is a bit too weak, yes, but can that account for the huge shift? ECMWF was a disaster, RGEM was not good. If I'm going to give weight to a model, given the feeback errors in the american models, Seems like Major Storm:Nusance event is probably weighted 3:2 in probability? Thats just my personal idea, which means I'm probably wrong....

Well the SREFs verify second best with QPF inside 24 hours and Wes loves them so that is good enough for me to hope for a bigger storm.

You all need to go to bed... you'll miss all of the snow falling later!

Thinking of lowering my DC/MoCo forecast back to my original 2-4" from the 3-6" I had adjusted it to earlier. It'll be close.

You know a hell of alot more than me, but i would leave it at 3-6" it is likely you will see atleast 3 in DC.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

405 AM EST SUN DEC 26 2010

.SYNOPSIS...

A RAPIDLY STRENGTHENING LOW PRESSURE WILL REMAIN OFFSHORE THE

MID-ATLANTIC AS IT MOVES FROM NEAR THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST TO NEAR

THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COAST TONIGHT. HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD

ACROSS THE AREA MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

NO CHGS TO PREV WINTER HEADLINES...WINTER STORM WRNG NOW OUT FOR MD

A/E OF I-95...DC AND IMMEDIATE SUBURBS...AND KING GEORGE CNTY VA.

WINTER WX ADZY OUT FOR RMNDR OF AREA...XPCT FOR NRN POTOMAC

HIGHLANDS/NRN SHEN VLY...WHERE ADZY TAKES EFFECT AT 11Z. SEE

/WBCWSWLWX/ FOR MORE DETAILS.

1000MB LOPRES NOW FULLY DVLPG AND RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING OFFSHORE

ILM...PERHAPS A BIT FASTER AND FURTHER W THAT 0Z GUIDANCE SUGGESTED.

OVERALL SOLN FOR SYSTEMS EVLN. CNTR OF COASTAL SYSTEM SHUD PASS SVRL

HUNDRED KM E OF DELMARVA MIDDAY...THEN APPROACH SRN NEW ENGLAND

COAST AFTER SUNSET TNGT AS AT LEAST A 970MB LOW. 6Z NAM PERHAPS

REFLECTS AFOREMENTIONED SFC ANALYSIS...AND JOGS PRECIP A BIT BACK TO

THE W OF PREV RUN...HWVR...THIS ONLY TAKES PROJECTED PATH BACK TO

SIMILAR TO 12/18 AGO...THUS ONLY MINOR FCST ADJUSTMENTS WARRANTED.

CREPT PROJECTED SN ACCUMULATIONS DOWN SLIGHTLY...AS 5-8 INCHES

APPEARS MORE FEASIBLE IN WRNG AREA...WITH 2-4 FOR A COUPLE OF TIERS

OF CNTYS TO THE WEST OF WRNG. EARLY BAND/S OF -SN ACRS SRN CWA HAVE

DIMINISHED...BUT MAIN SHIELD OF PRECIP ASSOCIATED WITH FORCING FROM

MAIN LOPRES SPREADING N THRU CNTRL VA...AND SHUD REACH SE CWA BY

10-11Z. GUIDANCE AND RADAR TRENDS EXTRAPOLATION TAKES THE LEADING

EDGE OF THIS LIGHT SN TO MASON/DIXON LINE BY 14-15Z...THO KEEPS IT

MAINLY E OF BLUE RIDGE. MDT/HVY SN POTENTIAL SVRL HRS AFTR PRECIP

ONSET...THIS AFTN/EVE...WITH BEST CHCS FOR BANDG ENHANCED TOTALS A/E

OF I-95 CORRIDOR...WHERE WRNG IN EFFECT. THE WRNMOST MESOSCALE BAND

SHUD MARK EDGE OF TIGHT GRADIENT OF ACCUMULATIONS...WITH ONLY 1-4

INCHES XPCD POINTS TO THE W. STILL SOME DOUBT IN HOW MUCH PRECIP

WILL FALL W OF BLUE RIDGE...BUT GOOD LIFT AHEAD OF H5 CLOSED LOW

THAT WILL CROSS THE RGN THIS AFTN/EVE SUGGEST ADZY CRITERIA SHUD BE

MET.

Definitely going to be a close call here - storm is rapidly starting to intensify and the energy at 500mb looks to be injecting into the main low pressure from my untrained look at the current spc meso analysis meso source. I'd think you'd want to see an expansion of the precip shield slightly to the NW in order to get a good portion of the DC metro area. Then again I just read the disco from the local met office and their near hit call. Hope it's not one of those agonizing storms where the nice returns on the radar don't quite make it in.

Anyways about to leave north jersey to drive down (for family) - blizz warnings up here and looking like it's going to be a major hit. Radar starting to show a north push along the coast-line.

Edit: Also FWIW and not to be too weenie lol but the RUC was kinda a leader up in boston and the cape for the most recent storm which was expected to be too far out to sea but ended up powerful enough to throw back some hvy bands to hit the cape pretty hard with 12 in. and give boston a glancing blow of 1-4 in.

Archived