Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you can get some subsidence on the wrong side of it.

But I couldn't tell you where/when/if one would develop. I'm not an expert on them and they are very unpredictable. But with such a ridiculously fast deepening storm, its a definite threat.

I seem to remember a storm when I was a kid that was slated to give us a good thrashing but mysteriously overnight the precip just shut off. I remember the Mets in Albany saying it was a gravity wave that was the culprit. This scarred me for life. I fear the gravity wave because of this, perhaps erroneously.

I seem to remember a storm when I was a kid that was slated to give us a good thrashing but mysteriously overnight the precip just shut off. I remember the Mets in Albany saying it was a gravity wave that was the culprit. This scarred me for life. I fear the gravity wave because of this, perhaps erroneously.

Don't worry. They don't cause rifts in the space-time continuum or anything like that - you'd need a Delorean with a flux capacitor to pull that off.

So what.

We were the jackpot just about 12-24 hours ago and now we are forecasted to get rain from the bulk of precip shield. This stinks, unfortunately everyone to the west of ORH and PVD need a track further west than the benchmark for an all out blizzard, the Cape then turns to mostly rain. Rain sucks, especially when you know someone to the west of you are receiving a blizzard with amounts likely exceeding 2' of snow, we got a foot of snow. I would rather have had this storm then the last one.

It's James right? Listen, I can hear the your anguish in this post. All of us can relate. You win some,you lose some. You are young and you'll see many more CC specials. Chin up.

Ginx is a hound for GV. I kind of think of it and it's quite rudimentary. Throw a stone in a pond and the ripples that probigate outward. Hard to even know ones occuring until reanalysis. Mostly likely when the cyclone is occluding. Another thing to watch is this is going to be a sateliite creamer. The ole Neutercane and will have an eye!

Ginx is a hound for GV. I kind of think of it and it's quite rudimentary. Throw a stone in a pond and the ripples that probigate outward. Hard to even know ones occuring until reanalysis. Mostly likely when the cyclone is occluding. Another thing to watch is this is going to be a sateliite creamer. The ole Neutercane and will have an eye!

You can often see them rip through on radar since they show up as an extra dark very narrow line moving roughly 3x the speed of the synoptic precip echoes.

SurfacelowanalysistheGreatChristmasSNEBlizzard2010.png?t=1293323994

Surface low south of Tallahassee, FL, west of Gainesville, FL. Roughly sub 1005mb 00z analysis

Hey sometimes these storms surprise and the snow hangs on longer than anticipated. Just keep looking for any signs that the storm will end up further southeast. Even 30-40 miles could make a huge difference. This is what makes nowcasting so interesting...just keep your expectations in check and hope for a nice surprise.

I haven't looked to hard at amounts, but I think the 18z gfs shows the potential. As of now, you could have some big time banding with mid level fronto, but again that will be track dependent.

WV loop is looking very impressive to my untrained eye. I take the t-storm activity currently in N.Florida as a sign the pump is being primed. Hoping everyone gets thumped.

So what enhances the precip? Is it kind of like shaking a rug?

So what enhances the precip? Is it kind of like shaking a rug?

Pete, I have no idea and will defer to a Met. I'll try to go look up a website...

Gravity wave (gravitational wave) A wave disturbance in which buoyancy (or reduced gravity) acts as restoring force on parcels displaced from hydrostatic equilibrium. There is a direct oscillatory conversion between potential and kinetic energy in the wave motion.

http://www.flixxy.com/meteorology-gravity-wave.htm

This is so cool

It's James right? Listen, I can hear the your anguish in this post. All of us can relate. You win some,you lose some. You are young and you'll see many more CC specials. Chin up.

Nice post, Pete - James, I can feel your pain. I always hate it when people on this board get into the "I hope you sleet while I get 2 feet" mode; I always hope EVERYONE gets 2 feet. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out - and of course, there's climatology. I live on the CP, and of course I'm jealous when I see Pete talk about all the snow he gets - but hey, he lives where he lives and I live where I live. Look at the other side - in the summer months, you live in one of the most beautiful placesand best climates on earth. The great thing about New England is that, no matter what, you can always go for a weekend in NH or VT and get some great snow (well, MOST of the time). I know it doesn't help but... I feel your pain and hopefully you'll get another big one!

And on that note - merry christmas, everyone!

Archived