Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm driving up to Stowe tomorrow from NYC...bahhhhhh so frustrated! You think we'll catch any upslope enhancement there?

If the American models are correct (NAM 1-1.2" QPF, GFS .5-.75") this will be a pretty decent 5-10" dump on the front side, then when H85 winds veer from NNE to NW and increase in strength there could be a period of 6-12 hours of low density, heavy snowfall on Mansfield. I like seeing cyclonic moisture ushered into the upslope region at 30-50kts out of the NW with temps falling to below -15C (that's about perfect for upslope snow growth, where the snowflake production is taking place in that 5,000ft range).

I'm pretty excited that the mountain may actually be able to salvage a significant snowfall thanks to orographics... and the density evolution will be perfect for skiing: a denser 12-15:1 ratio synoptic snow followed by some 30-40:1 upslope fluff. Beautiful stuff.

So the NAM/GFS/Euro are all over a foot here. Locking in 12-18''.

I'm think jackpot will be somewhere between my area and your/Ray's area. SREF was slamming that corridor with the probs....the banding could cause a secondary max out in the Berkshires, but its very difficult to forecast the banding diagnostics at this stage.

I'm think jackpot will be somewhere between my area and your/Ray's area. SREF was slamming that corridor with the probs....the banding could cause a secondary max out in the Berkshires, but its very difficult to forecast the banding diagnostics at this stage.

I'm floored right now, I really am. This is the big one we've all been waiting for.

Is it just a mattter of nowcasting for that or is there one particular short range model you like?

My fourth winter here in the N. Valley and I've never seen Box project 12"+ for us this far out.

All week I felt a W. trend was coming but never dreamed of this!

Hopefully no wind holds on the lifts at Berkshire East tuesday.

:thumbsup:

Why wait until then? You'll just be skiing chopped powder by then.

Is it just a mattter of nowcasting for that or is there one particular short range model you like?

The mesoscale models like the NAM/MM5/SREFs can often help out, but the time frame is still 30-36 hours out, so it can change. Even just right before the storm its tough...a lot of it is nowcasting and looking at radar.

You can look for the best area of mid-level frontogenesis to help you pinpoint the spot, but it doesn't always work. Also keeping an eye on the 7H/H85 low tracks...they make an approach to LI but then turn east...when/where they make the turn can affect it too.

The mesoscale models like the NAM/MM5/SREFs can often help out, but the time frame is still 30-36 hours out, so it can change. Even just right before the storm its tough...a lot of it is nowcasting and looking at radar.

You can look for the best area of mid-level frontogenesis to help you pinpoint the spot, but it doesn't always work. Also keeping an eye on the 7H/H85 low tracks...they make an approach to LI but then turn east...when/where they make the turn can affect it too.

I think the jackpot is somewhere from you to skiMRG... someone will get stuck under a band and get like 24"+ inside a more general 12-18" snow shield. Plus, Will you on the ORH hills will upslope on the NE flow just like Pete. That slight upslope cooling and maybe some low level seeder feeder could help you guys pound snow plus for hour after hour. And not just 1/4sm but like 1/8 and 1/16sm +SN.

If the American models are correct (NAM 1-1.2" QPF, GFS .5-.75") this will be a pretty decent 5-10" dump on the front side, then when H85 winds veer from NNE to NW and increase in strength there could be a period of 6-12 hours of low density, heavy snowfall on Mansfield. I like seeing cyclonic moisture ushered into the upslope region at 30-50kts out of the NW with temps falling to below -15C (that's about perfect for upslope snow growth, where the snowflake production is taking place in that 5,000ft range).

I'm pretty excited that the mountain may actually be able to salvage a significant snowfall thanks to orographics... and the density evolution will be perfect for skiing: a denser 12-15:1 ratio synoptic snow followed by some 30-40:1 upslope fluff. Beautiful stuff.

Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed.

I think the jackpot is somewhere from you to skiMRG... someone will get stuck under a band and get like 24"+ inside a more general 12-18" snow shield. Plus, Will you on the ORH hills will upslope on the NE flow just like Pete. That slight upslope cooling and maybe some low level seeder feeder could help you guys pound snow plus for hour after hour. And not just 1/4sm but like 1/8 and 1/16sm +SN.

Yea.. It all depends where that band sets up and pivots as the storm moves ENE. Could be anywhere in SNE at this point. Won't be able to tell until tomorrow afternoon probably.

:weenie:

Yeah the upslope spots will be looking good. It actually doesn't look a whole lot better than this for a jackpot near here. Coastal front enhancement is likely going to occur in E MA somewhere...probably near Ray. Very frequently they will get a band there....and its doesn't always show up the best on radar because its more low level.

If the CF can get W far enough then I can benefit from both upslope and CF ll convergence. If that happened, then I'd probably get over 24"...but I think the CF stays well E of me because this has quite a strong ageostrophic north component to it.

Yeah the upslope spots will be looking good. It actually doesn't look a whole lot better than this for a jackpot near here. Coastal front enhancement is likely going to occur in E MA somewhere...probably near Ray. Very frequently they will get a band there....and its doesn't always show up the best on radar because its more low level.

If the CF can get W far enough then I can benefit from both upslope and CF ll convergence. If that happened, then I'd probably get over 24"...but I think the CF stays well E of me because this has quite a strong ageostrophic north component to it.

Any general idea for a start time in HFD? I'm thinking I'll just leave tonight and stay ahead of it.

From your lip to Ullr's ears.

Archived