Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit worried about dry slot potential in some spots too. With a sfc low over MTP there's always problems somewhere nearby. The NAM really crushes the NYC area which tells me that it's possible the best frontogenesis and cold conveyorbelt action winds up west of many of us. MRG for the win?

There will be a 12-20" band somewhere... maybe a 2 foot lolli somwhere but I think it's too early to pin that down now.

How many times does this type of track pummel our areas. As the storm is exploding it's heading straight into LI. There's going to be a split in the precip somewhere NNE or NE of the surface low pressure until it all collapses ESE.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the afternoon all. What a shi( show. 24-30 hours out and the precip has moved 200 miles in 12 hours.

If the NAM is right, 6-12 Boston to SE PVD. If it tracks to LI it will underdo warm air but to the NW should be fine thats just my opinion. Another ten miles NW and it's going to be a real issue.. It'll be enough to contaminate things. SE of about Marshfield to New Bedford 4-7/3-6, SE of Exit 4 on Rte 3 to east wareham 2-4/3-6. That's if I'm reading the maps right and it takes it up to about the middle of LI.

Ski country gets blasted. High ratios, cold temperatures, beautiful white gold. They must be so freaking happy right now.

6-12 based on the nam I just saw?

I'm a bit worried about dry slot potential in some spots too. With a sfc low over MTP there's always problems somewhere nearby. The NAM really crushes the NYC area which tells me that it's possible the best frontogenesis and cold conveyorbelt action winds up west of many of us. MRG for the win?

There will be a 12-20" band somewhere... maybe a 2 foot lolli somwhere but I think it's too early to pin that down now.

NAM gets dryslot into ern mass and RI and has huge banding over NYC. They'll get crushed on this run. Prob wrn mass too.

NAM QPF is great, but getting concerning for RI/E MA. 500mb tracking towards GON at 42hr is awful for eastern areas, and 0z line pushes quite inland to TAN. Plus RH is showing the dryslot punching into RI and over SE MA. A track like that is pretty clearly puts a snow max through C/W regions.

But...that's just 18z at face value. A few ticks east and it'd be golden. In the meantime though this is looking more and more like 2/06.

If the NAM is right, 6-12 Boston to SE PVD. If it tracks to LI it will underdo warm air but to the NW should be fine thats just my opinion. Another ten miles NW and it's going to be a real issue.. It'll be enough to contaminate things. SE of about Marshfield to New Bedford 4-7/3-6, SE of Exit 4 on Rte 3 to east wareham 2-4/3-6. That's if I'm reading the maps right and it takes it up to about the middle of LI.

Ski country gets blasted. High ratios, cold temperatures, beautiful white gold. They must be so freaking happy right now.

6-12" for Boston? What are you talking about?

Women and children first says JB

UPDATING THIS MORNINGS POST.. SEVERE STORM TO SHUT NORTHEAST CORRIDOR PHL NORTHEAST FOR 12-24 HOURS. STORM FORCE GUSTS DELMARVA TO LONG ISLAND WITH 12-24 INCH AMOUNTS LEADING TO MASSIVE DRIFTS. AS BAD OR WORSE THAN ANY OF THE STORMS LAST YEAR FOR MANY PHL TO BOSTON, SOUTHEAST TO THE COAST. ROGUE CHARACTERISTICS WITH PRESSURE NEAR 28. 70 AT MOUTH OF DEL BAY TOMORROW NIGHT AND NEAR 28.55 BEFORE REACHING NEW ENGLAND.

That sounds about right. The 18z depiction of the low track is pretty awful for big snows east of IJD-ORH.

With the caveat it ends up this far west.

NAM gets dryslot into ern mass and RI and has huge banding over NYC. They'll get crushed on this run. Prob wrn mass too.

And all of central/northern new england. parts of NJ/NYC area may see some epic snows. Jackpot there.

NAM QPF is great, but getting concerning for RI/E MA. 500mb tracking towards GON at 42hr is awful for eastern areas, and 0z line pushes quite inland to TAN. Plus RH is showing the dryslot punching into RI and over SE MA. A track like that is pretty clearly puts a snow max through C/W regions.

But...that's just 18z at face value. A few ticks east and it'd be golden. In the meantime though this is looking more and more like 2/06.

100% agree. I hope this is the NW outlier in some ways for all of you, other ways I'd love to see a foot of snow in ski country they need it terribly.

6-12" for Boston? What are you talking about?

You expect more than a foot in Boston with a low tracking to long island? Any analogs? The 700mb low tracks over your head or very close. Not normally favorable for a full on blizzard in boston. Again all based on the 18z NAM this isn't a forecast.

I agree....e MA.weenies finger-fooking the QPF charts would be surely dissapointed if this evoloution was correct; I suspect to be an overtrend, but if not, e MA will not make out as well as QPF implies.

Archived