Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORH is at 0.5" right now...but the airport is missing data for Dec 23rd when they got like an inch...so they are probably more like 1.5"

If someone from BOX sees this, maybe they can enter it in...at the very min they had another half inch that morning. I think I had 1.3" total for the event between 22-23rd.

Hopefully it will be near or over 20" by the time we get to the 28th. :snowman:

An awful awful beginning is going to get made up for in very, very short order.

I've had 3.3 inches and a chunk of that was in November lol.

Heavy HEAVY snow

I've really worked hard over the years to not get overly amped as it often ends in disaster. Expectations held to high so even when a decent snowfall was the outcome a sense of disatisfaction tainted the experience. That said, this one looks like a solid hit and even though the snow is not flying yet I am.lol Also, kudos to you and the American Team for keeping the board operating smoothly during the first real test. Nice work.

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words

Scoob 40 with 5.5?

Lol...I doubt its as bad as the model shows. Esp if larger scale banding forces the issue over them...ala Feb 5, 2001.

I wonder if Ray is finally going to get his jackpot of 18"+

12-14" is a lock for TOL...can't go higher there.

Just think at this time yesterday the famous euro gave cape cod 3-6" and we were being told to discount entirely the only two models that gave a hit.

24 hours later storm of the decade

Theres 24 more hours for it to go away. Gota luv the lock it in statements. Looks exciting but its going to come down to nowcasting

Just think at this time yesterday the famous euro gave cape cod 3-6" and we were being told to discount entirely the only two models that gave a hit.

24 hours later storm of the decade

This will definitely be a good post mortem case study for the models....this is probably the biggest short term model failure in the past 5 years. Perhaps since March 2001. At least on the east coast during winter storm.

Its funny how the models played around. The Euro had this solution pegged 108-144h out...but it failed miserably in the 72-96 hour range. GFS probably gets the win for the 72h solution as it was the first to show it at 12z yesterday and then others followed.

Lol...I doubt its as bad as the model shows. Esp if larger scale banding forces the issue over them...ala Feb 5, 2001.

I have a feeling the jackpot area is going to be west..Dare I say it..God's country.. I'd bet we see 20 inch up and around that general area.

Yeah no matter what happens ..even if an intense CCB set up over me for 14 hrs..I'd still only get 14.. Lock it

Even at a joyous time like this. Priceless.

I have a feeling the jackpot area is going to be west..Dare I say it..God's country.. I'd bet we see 20 inch up and around that general area.

Yeah no matter what happens ..even if an intense CCB set up over me for 14 hrs..I'd still only get 14.. Lock it

There could be a couple areas that jackpot. GC will have the leftover banding from SE NY and NNJ and W CT up there, but the dynamics will definitely shift east as the low keeps deepening, so there will probably be a big area of snow somewhere between ORH-ASH-BOS

But we still have a few model runs to sort out where that might be most likely to set up. SREF probs are very high for eastern MA on big snow so that is often a good flag at this stage.

This will definitely be a good post mortem case study for the models....this is probably the biggest short term model failure in the past 5 years. Perhaps since March 2001. At least on the east coast during winter

something strange took place. I half wonder if there was a QC type problem with data coming in that got fed to everyone for a few runs. All of a sudden at 1450z yest hpc sends out the message about issues and from that second on every run of every model around the world came west....even the nogaps. Once the low develops I will feel a lot better.

This one has been so erratic and somehow it's still a day away swear we have been following this for 7 days

This will definitely be a good post mortem case study for the models....this is probably the biggest short term model failure in the past 5 years. Perhaps since March 2001. At least on the east coast during winter storm.

Its funny how the models played around. The Euro had this solution pegged 108-144h out...but it failed miserably in the 72-96 hour range. GFS probably gets the win for the 72h solution as it was the first to show it at 12z yesterday and then others followed.

A few days ago I was talking with Logan11 about an old Met we grew up listening to, Ray Falconer. He was an excellent forecaster and he always stressed that big East Coast storms were a fickle breed and one could never be quite sure what would happen. I think I commented at the time something like " that was an era without such sophisticated computer modeling though". I hope old Ray is looking down and having a good chuckle.

Its fitting that the Rev delivered the goods on the 00z Christmas run...its that time of the year.

It's that time of year, Will...this is probably the most magical scenario I've ever seen unfold. Compared to this, last year's major blizzards were well forecast and easy to predict with the strong STJ.

BTW 12z GFS nails NYC...do you see that 2/06 type of banding occurring here?

new from NCEP:

THE 12Z EUROPEAN IS VERY SIMILAR IN TRACK AND INTENSITY TO THE 00Z

RUN AND BY ITSELF COULD BE CONSIDERED A GOOD FORECAST CHOICE.

SINCE IT IS NOW RELATIVELY CLOSE TO ALL THE OTHER MODELS ANY

COMBINATION WOULD LIKELY GET A PRETTY REASONABLE FORECAST FOR THE

STORM. AS THE STORM PASSES OFF SOUTHEAST NEW ENGLAND...THE 12Z RUN

IS SLOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS VERSION AND SOMEWHAT RESEMBLES THE 12Z

UKMET STALLING THE LOW FOR A FULL DAY...IMPLYING SLOWER ENDING TIMES

FOR SNOW ACROSS EASTERN CT.

WITH THE CONVERGENCE OF ALL 12Z MODELS...MOST COMBINATION OF ANY

AND EACH WOULD PROBABLY MAKE FOR A GOOD BLEND ESP THE SNOWIER

MODELS FOR ANY GIVEN LOCATION.

Money.

Archived