Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm feeling the jackpot is likely in the GAY-ORH-BOX triangle and probably includes BOS....there might be another secondary max out west near God's Country, but I'm hesitant there just slightly because there are models that do not want to wrap this up as much as the GFS does. The way that 5h digs its own grave to the ENE can still make this a bit further E like the NAM/RGEM solutions and have a more compact comma head that shifts its dynamics to E MA ala Dec 9, 2005

how do u feel about mixing in SNE? dec 9th, 2005 changed me over to rain for a longgg time.

It's interesting that models are really hinting at a qpf bomb from cstl frontogenesis and also perhaps from the occlusion as well. We'll have to watch where some sort of meso subsidence zone happens in between that and deformation banding out west.

Yea, I do have visions of Dec 2003 and PDII dancing in my head......

Who cares what the NAM has for qpf? Has it ever been correct one way or the other on any event? We've got a slow moving snowbomb enroute

I just saw three national guard trucks (not joking) must be deploying them early pre-blizzard to pull people out of their cars like 78.

C130 launched from otis too, maybe flying in the bread and water. (or DHS flights like always)

Given the timeframe for issuance of Warnings. We know the good people at the NWS like to coordinate with surrounding Offices and usually RAMP the Watches and Warning incrementally. I know I'm stating the obvious. But to some of the newbies maybe not. Stated earlier that Blizzard Watch by sunset and by the time snowl starts falling it will be a Warning.

I like most people reading this am totally glued to the computer. Heck, nobody around here to ignore or neglect. I'm getting the greatest gift and that's all I want. :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

I'm feeling the jackpot is likely in the GAY-ORH-BOX triangle and probably includes BOS....there might be another secondary max out west near God's Country, but I'm hesitant there just slightly because there are models that do not want to wrap this up as much as the GFS does. The way that 5h digs its own grave to the ENE can still make this a bit further E like the NAM/RGEM solutions and have a more compact comma head that shifts its dynamics to E MA ala Dec 9, 2005

It will be an interesting storm to forecast for on a mesoscale basis.

Let's be honest, nobody ever calls for a ORE-CEF-HFD jackpot...

Well I do b/c as of that post that was the only model out with bufkit data to get a good look at QPF. The 12z GFS bufkit is out now so now we'll see what that shows.

Until the models/SREFS indicate strong probabilities of higher QPF totals I'll take the lower side.

Paul, I wouldnt count on the NAM too much-- it has 21 inches for JFK and 49 inches ! for Islip. The JFK number is within the realm of possibilities but the Islip number is not lol.

Most of our local mets are going for one foot in the city and 18 inches on Long Island. I would think you would get something similar.

Let's be honest, nobody ever calls for a ORE-CEF-HFD jackpot...

Its difficult to because of the orographics...but sometimes you can overcome it with a band from hell like 2/5/01.

But I think the clear signal is for an E MA jackpot and maybe into RI...but everyone should do plenty well. SREF probs are the highest by far in E MA for 12"+.

what?

I'm just messin' with you. I think the east slope will really make the most out of what ever qpf heads our way. Ratios and upslope enhancement should help us no? Looking at the two analogs that Bob posted last night both instances seemed to have left a jackpot here as well. Also, not sure the NW trend has completely ceased. All in all things look pretty rosey for both of us. Bottom line, it won't surprise me in the least if, in the end, we get a very solid thumping here. Of course, I bow to your superior knowledge on such matters.

2/15/03. To date Boston's biggest snowfall but not deserving imho. 27.5 at BOS.

Now, now, Jerry. We all know how that snow was measured by the FAA like they did in Baltimore in the Snow Magedon. They wiped the board off every hour and stated to the climotologist that they didn't know how to measure it every 6 hours. F6 data shows 17.0" for logan Air port on ground same day not 27.5". FAA's said they measured it the same way.

I'm just messin' with you. I think the east slope will really make the most out of what ever qpf heads our way. Ratios and upslope enhancement should help us no? Looking at the two analogs that Bob posted last night both instances seemed to have left a jackpot here as well. Also, not sure the NW trend has completely ceased. All in all things look pretty rosey for both of us. Bottom line, it won't surprise me in the least if, in the end, we get a very solid thumping here. Of course, I bow to your superior knowledge on such matters.

Everyone should very well...maybe only mixing issues on the Cape.

You'll probably have a little secondary max there since the valley likely to get downsloped.

Everyone should very well...maybe only mixing issues on the Cape.

You'll probably have a little secondary max there since the valley likely to get downsloped.

Yeah I was thinking about to myself..Are Ryan and Wiz gonna get downsloped to some degree? I guess it's possible

20's for temps from start to finish with this thing?

Yeah I was thinking about to myself..Are Ryan and Wiz gonna get downsloped to some degree? I guess it's possible

20's for temps from start to finish with this thing?

excuse my ignorance, but do you have to be in a valley location to get downsloped? There's large mountains to my west, but I'm also on a large hill so does the downsloping mainly just happen in the lowest lying areas? still really trying to understand the whole upslope/downslope thing

Archived