• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
2024 Foothills Thread

BooneWX

This is going to be a high impact event for the upstate and western NC if the track holds. Not particularly concerned about wind in the foothills but we’ll be on the dirty side of the circulation and no doubt we’re going to ring out every drop of moisture. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

This is going to be a high impact event for the upstate and western NC if the track holds. Not particularly concerned about wind in the foothills but we’ll be on the dirty side of the circulation and no doubt we’re going to ring out every drop of moisture. 

I have a not so good feeling about this. Also, if we get some localized heavy rain beforehand with thunderstorms that will not help. Most models have an inch or more just from the front before the main show.  The orientation of the flow between the possibly major hurricane and strong HP to the NE will really bring the goods to the upslose areas. If it tracks as currently depicted by most models, most places along the escarpment will have no problem reaching 10" rather quickly.  River levels are still below average most places so that could be the saving grace. 

But then again this could turn out to be more of a flash flooding scenario where most of the heaviest rains falls in 24 hours or less. Fascinating week of weather coming up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think the Euro is way too weak on intensity so that track could be really devastating. Verbatim it shows 8-12 inches on the escarpment and that would likely be underdone. Also shows gusts up to 45. 

Unfortunately it always downplays tropical systems. There’s not much inhibiting the system from what I see. Great ventilation coming and jacuzzi water ahead.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think the Euro is way too weak on intensity so that track could be really devastating. Verbatim it shows 8-12 inches on the escarpment and that would likely be underdone. Also shows gusts up to 45. 

I think the Euro is under estimating the rainfall in my opinion with that track... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

I think the Euro is under estimating the rainfall in my opinion with that track... 

agreed. Only speed can be a saving grace at this point. Something that’s not being paid attention to is the fact we’ll have a very good Atlantic moisture connection as well. With the storm to the west and the ridge to the east, we’re going to be perfectly lined up for the fire hose. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

agreed. Only speed can be a saving grace at this point. Something that’s not being paid attention to is the fact we’ll have a very good Atlantic moisture connection as well. With the storm to the west and the ridge to the east, we’re going to be perfectly lined up for the fire hose. 

I'm at .32 already today and along the Blue Ridge some places are closer to 1.5-2 

• Like 2

We got a thunderstorm complex in Huntersville where I was playing an open mic around 10pm-12 am that was just wild. Torrential downpours, wind, and lots of lightning. 2 inches of rain in 2 hours. If there is a wind threat here with Helene, the ground will be very saturated come Thursday night into Friday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...