• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Foothills Thread

BooneWX

Blessings. Lost a lot of fescue to get here but maybe this will ease the pain a bit. 

what are you guys doing these days grass wise? My yard has become a hobby over the years but these past two summers have worn me out with fescue. I have a baby at home and time just really doesn’t allow me to water it correctly and apply the fungicide needed. I can’t do Bermuda thanks to a shady backyard but thinking about Texas Bluegrass (southern hybrid to Kentucky bluegrass). 

IMG_2109.jpeg

Rain shields are strong here. Just a trace today so far. Hopefully the storms over the Blue Ridge will translate east. They have not been doing that for weeks now. They redevelop over Burke and Rutherford. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Blessings. Lost a lot of fescue to get here but maybe this will ease the pain a bit. 

what are you guys doing these days grass wise? My yard has become a hobby over the years but these past two summers have worn me out with fescue. I have a baby at home and time just really doesn’t allow me to water it correctly and apply the fungicide needed. I can’t do Bermuda thanks to a shady backyard but thinking about Texas Bluegrass (southern hybrid to Kentucky bluegrass).

I got almost an inch of rain this evening! Amazing.

I am still rolling with fescue, as it looks beautiful all year round other than July/August, and I do not have irrigation. I pay Turf Pro to do the fertilization, grub control, liming, and fungicide. I pay to have the lawn aerated and over-seeded each fall. My boys and I do all the mowing, though. Because of the recent lack of rain, tomorrow will be the first time that we mow in almost one month. I've been afraid to mow because of the stress it would cause on the grass with very little rain recently. (It also hasn't grown much at all.) The fescue has survived fairly well in all the shaded areas, but is very crispy in the areas that get full sun.

• Like 2

We almost got split again today but have managed to pick up .23 so far. Nowhere near what southern and northern McDowell has the past few days. We are now close to an inch of rain for the month. 

That was the worst storm we’ve had in our new home. Lightning hit the house or very close to it around 8. Luckily I haven’t seen anything alarming so far but my landscape lighting is temporarily fried until I can get a new low voltage transformer installed.  .83 inches of rain over about a 20 min period.

• Like 1

That was the worst storm we’ve had in our new home. Lightning hit the house or very close to it around 8. Luckily I haven’t seen anything alarming so far but my landscape lighting is temporarily fried until I can get a new low voltage transformer installed.  .83 inches of rain over about a 20 min period.

Yeah, that was a crazy storm last night. We got almost 1.5 inches out of it. Very intense rainfall and lightning. Glad your property and family are okay.

• Like 1

Please list your monthly totals. I almoat guarantee I'm at the bottom of the foothills and most of NC and SC. I managed to squeeze out 3.98 in July despite not picking up more than .80 in any 24 hour period. So many days with .25-.50 and less added up eventually. 

• Like 1

The models seem to be converging on Debby moving a bit farther inland than anticipated. It’s going to be a very soggy Thursday and Friday. I’ll be curious to see how much water piles up here in Lake Hickory. I doubt Duke will be able to dump too much downstream with heavier totals further down the Catawba chain. 

• Like 2