Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Foothills Thread

BooneWX

6 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Didn't get anything from the batch in SC. Hopefully today will bring heavier rains

Today/tomorrow or bust! I’m worried we’re in big trouble locally. I’m starting to see sandbars in spots on lake hickory that I’ve never witnessed having depth issues before.

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

Today/tomorrow or bust! I’m worried we’re in big trouble locally. I’m starting to see sandbars in spots on lake hickory that I’ve never witnessed having depth issues before.

We finally got a heavy shower today, .34. I think we should slowly see conditions improve the next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, BooneWX said:

3,000 j/kg of storm fuel and dew points in the upper 70s, I’m floored the radar isn’t full at this point 

Big storm went through Morganton. We had a decent shower here too. .27 more. Grass is making a comeback quickly. 

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

Big storm went through Morganton. We had a decent shower here too. .27 more. Grass is making a comeback quickly. 

.04 here and nothing in sight for a while. Did the tug test on several dormant areas of grass today and it’s finally giving in. Suppose I’ll punt until fall. 

5 hours ago, LakeNormanStormin said:

But you know the precipitation will be displaced to the southeast and the Piedmont will get All the goods

Nothing defeats the dome around my house so you’re probably right!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Storms fell apart again. I’ll continue my 4+ week streak of no appreciable rain for another day. Hoping the weather can warm up a bit and maybe we get higher dew points so we can overcome this severe lack of storm fuel. 

5 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Storms fell apart again. I’ll continue my 4+ week streak of no appreciable rain for another day. Hoping the weather can warm up a bit and maybe we get higher dew points so we can overcome this severe lack of storm fuel. 

Today was amazingly bad for MBY and rain. Parts of the Blue Ridge 10 miles NW away had 2-3 inches. 10 miles to the south had a heavy storm. 10 miles to the east had a severe storm. Here- only a trace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

The rain today has been comically missing my location again. 5 miles to the south and west are getting drenched. Not a drop here yet.  

Same for me. It’s been raining all around me, but just a random sprinkle or two hear IMBY.

Had a little over a half an inch on Sunday - the most since mid-May. It’s not nearly enough when we’re pushing 100 every single day of the week. My yard dying out sucks but I really feel for the farmers. I don’t think I’ve seen a corn crop look as pitiful as what I’ve seen the past few days in my life. 

Also curious - where does this summer rank for you guys? We’re mid way through July and if next weeks temperatures verify, I’m getting close to crowning this as the worst and hottest summer I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 11:35 AM, BooneWX said:

Also curious - where does this summer rank for you guys? We’re mid way through July and if next weeks temperatures verify, I’m getting close to crowning this as the worst and hottest summer I’ve seen. 

Yes, this summer has been miserably hot and humid. I was fortunate to escape to Alaska for two weeks, but otherwise it has been “Yuck!”

• Like 1

Dodged the storms today. Hopefully this weekend we can change the narrative.

Got what seemed to be a small microburst today coming down 321 in granite heading towards hickory…. Very windy and heavy rain… then i got to the 321 bridge and it just stopped.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

I eked out 0.29 inch of blessed rainfall early this evening. It was amazing! I had almost forgotten what rain was like...

I have less than that on the month. Just a few sprinkles today. Models still look promising the next week for multiple rounds of showers and storms. 

• Like 1