• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2024

Funny how just a bit of rain and it goes from dusty to soggy. I like how slowly this happened, the soil opened up and went from hardpan to soft and absorbent and now everything in the garden looks happy again.

I was thinking that I miss Julian around here, he hasn't been around since what, the end of the winter? What happened to that guy? I hope he's ok. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Funny how just a bit of rain and it goes from dusty to soggy. I like how slowly this happened, the soil opened up and went from hardpan to soft and absorbent and now everything in the garden looks happy again.

I was thinking that I miss Julian around here, he hasn't been around since what, the end of the winter? What happened to that guy? I hope he's ok. 

Up to .44 for the week here, agreed that the gentle showers this week have been beneficial and have opened the ground up a bit. I have seen some comments that models got wetter for tomorrow but I haven't seen that, at least not up here. Hoping for an outdoor happy hour on my deck tomorrow. Julian is ok, just out enjoying life as far as I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of my records, at least I am anyway LOL, today is my first day of a low between 36-32 which is the NWS definition of first frost. Today also happens to be my 19 year average first NWS definition of frost date. Exciting, right? Here are some more useless stats from IMBY, average first visible frost is 10/15, average first freeze is 10/22 and average first hard freeze is 10/29.  

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

35.5 here, 36 gets logged in the books. It was 60 downstairs so I flipped that zone on, upstairs zone still off for now.

Good morning Rob. The postage stamp is a minimum of a month+ away from seeing your low temperatures. At 9:16 AM, my state of the art mercury recorded 53 degrees. Central Park ref: NOAA/NWS was pretty close. Stay well, as always …

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0834.png

• Like 1

The leaves IMBY are not so great this year, the gypsy moths did a number on them in the spring then it was wet and now rather dry. I've had a good amount of leave drop already. Who knows anymore what brings on good foliage. That said, this little autumn blaze red maple on the left does not disappoint. 
IMG_1118.thumb.jpeg.62e0f1292884092f7bca1462acc3e6fe.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, IrishRob17 said:

35.5 here, 36 gets logged in the books. It was 60 downstairs so I flipped that zone on, upstairs zone still off for now.

My goal each year is to make it to Halloween. Maybe I’ve done that a few times. It looks like next week I might cave with highs in the mid 50’s and lows in the mid 30’s for a few days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

My goal each year is to make it to Halloween. Maybe I’ve done that a few times. It looks like next week I might cave with highs in the mid 50’s and lows in the mid 30’s for a few days.

I don’t fret when I have to flip it on, it doesn’t run all that much this early in the season. Living in a house close to 200 years old with little insulation makes the choice easier although discouraging at the same time LOL

• Like 2

On 9/26/2024 at 1:42 PM, gravitylover said:

I've been checking in occasionally! Just have other priorities, especially during what has been a fairly uneventful weather year locally. I'll probably be posting more often as we get into synoptic storm season, and, more crucially, radiational cooling season

• Like 3

On 10/11/2024 at 11:48 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Speaking of my records, at least I am anyway LOL, today is my first day of a low between 36-32 which is the NWS definition of first frost. Today also happens to be my 19 year average first NWS definition of frost date. Exciting, right? Here are some more useless stats from IMBY, average first visible frost is 10/15, average first freeze is 10/22 and average first hard frost is 10/29.  

Please differentiate first freeze and hard frost?

Morning low so far of 30, so the first freeze of the season.

Can we hit 28 and have the first freeze and hard freeze of the season on the same day? I haven't been keeping track of the first hard freeze dates but I would think it's rare to occur on the same day. Maybe not interesting to most people but still rare. 

18 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Can we hit 28 and have the first freeze and hard freeze of the season on the same day? I haven't been keeping track of the first hard freeze dates but I would think it's rare to occur on the same day. Maybe not interesting to most people but still rare. 

I was just thinking the same thing, dipped down below freezing between 2:40-2:45am at home, down to 29 currently. As for your question, I'll check my records for how often that has happened but I'll need a day or two to look it up. 

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was just thinking the same thing, dipped down below freezing between 2:40-2:45am at home, down to 29 currently. As for your question, I'll check my records for how often that has happened but I'll need a day or two to look it up. 

Are we talking a Tsuchinshan type rarity here?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Going back to my first year of detailed records which was the 2005/2006 cold season, here are the years that the first freeze and hard freeze occurred on the same date:

2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014. So it's been a little while now since it's happened IMBY. 

• Like 1

I've stayed at or above 35 so far, a few stations down below have dropped below 30 a couple of times. I was up in Lake Placid and Saranac yesterday,it was nice to see a foot and a half up on Marcy and Whiteface with great foliage down lower. There were a few times I came around a corner and was totally wowed :thumbsup:

• Like 2