• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

On the volcanic front, there’s a little known but large and infrequently active bimodal rhyolitic volcano in the East African Rift undergoing a notably large intrusion at the moment - Fentale. The unrest is reaching levels that definitely crosses into “concerning” territory and I believe there are already evacuations in place for locals. Based on the size and nature of the intrusion we’re likely looking at significant explosive event if an eruption were to occur (which of course is never a guarantee until it’s happening).  

This volcano has only one known eruption in the Holocene; an effusive event in 1810 on its flanks and part of the caldera floor. Hence its bimodal nature. However this volcano has a large caldera from major eruptions in the distant past, and data has suggested this current intrusion is likely to be rhyolite. At this system that would likely be its explosive tendencies kicking into gear. 

A long dormant rhyolitic (evolved, sticky, potentially highly explosive magma) volcano waking up in Africa (a place that has had intense volcanism throughout the recent geologic past, but lesser known and less studied today) is something to seriously pay attention to. 

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/fantale/news/255487/Fantale-volcano-Ethiopia-earthquakes-ground-cracks-suggest-magma-intrusion-precursors-of-new-eruptio.html

https://volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=221190

East Africa has a large amount of exotic and majorly powerful volcanoes. There’s an argument that the world’s next flood basalt (monstrously enormous and millennia long mantle fed eruptions responsible for some of the worst climate excursions and extinctions in earth’s history, the last was the Colombia River Basalts 16mya) will transpire under the Virunga plateau containing Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira. And there’s quite a few massive calderas from ancient VEI 7 sized blasts including the famous Ngorongoro Crater. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's the dryness, but it's also the constant cloudless skies. I could never, never live out west. I like brilliant blue skies and sunshine, but, day after day in a semi-desert presents no variety.  I also like clouds.  I like rain.  Too much of any of these begins to get to me.  Can we please have our varied weather and changeful skies back?  And some rain.

You can keep San Diego.

10 minutes ago, Pellice said:

Yes, it's the dryness, but it's also the constant cloudless skies. I could never, never live out west. I like brilliant blue skies and sunshine, but, day after day in a semi-desert presents no variety.  I also like clouds.  I like rain.  Too much of any of these begins to get to me.  Can we please have our varied weather and changeful skies back?  And some rain.

You can keep San Diego.

I'm sure we'll have endless cloudy days in the 40s and 50s in November and December 

• Like 1