• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

Question on upcoming drop in temperatures on Thursday.  With such a dramatic drop from the Wednesday high, why aren't we getting a front from the NW?  Particularly with a round of storms preceding it?  It looks as though it will be coming from the NE to E.  Are fronts dropping from the NE more likely at this time of year?

9 minutes ago, Pellice said:

Question on upcoming drop in temperatures on Thursday.  With such a dramatic drop from the Wednesday high, why aren't we getting a front from the NW?  Particularly with a round of storms preceding it?  It looks as though it will be coming from the NE to E.  Are fronts dropping from the NE more likely at this time of year?

Backdoor cold front. Usually a springtime thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

JB going warm and not much snow for the east this year-says MJO 4-5-6 will dominate again

Thanks for letting us know as I had been unaware of this.

It is refreshing to hear he’s going AN at all in the NE US initially. Going back to 2014-5 (as far back as can be seen when googling, which I just did for each year), I see only one other time he’s gone AN for DJF in the NE US but that was only initially:

- It was 2020-1, when he was ~+3:

IMG_9582.png.35cfddfda57ff5511e12595035aa4b9b.png

https://www.weatherbell.com/winter-2020-21-outlook

However, that was revised on 11/25/20 to NN:

IMG_9583.png.f7e733c2aec76af8ec60941cdfd6e169.png

https://www.weatherbell.com/final-winter-2020-21-forecast

So, I can’t find even one year back to 2014-5 when he went and stayed AN DJF in the NE.

Thus, the test will be to see if he actually holds onto the slightly AN.

6 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Thanks for letting us know as I had been unaware of this.

It is refreshing to hear he’s going slightly AN at all in the NE US initially. Going back to 2014-5 (as far back as can be seen when googling, which I just did for each year), I see only one other time he’s gone AN for DJF in the NE US but that was only initially:

- It was 2020-1, when he was ~+3:

IMG_9582.png.35cfddfda57ff5511e12595035aa4b9b.png

https://www.weatherbell.com/winter-2020-21-outlook

However, that was revised on 11/25/20 to NN:

IMG_9583.png.f7e733c2aec76af8ec60941cdfd6e169.png

https://www.weatherbell.com/final-winter-2020-21-forecast

So, I can’t find even one year back to 2014-5 when he went and stayed AN DJF in the NE.

Thus, the test will be to see if he actually holds onto the slightly AN.

He's probably not even warm enough-we've been averaging +2 to +2.5 in most of the winter months going back to 2015-16.  His mistake last year was not jumping ship once the January cold fizzled rather quickly.  At that point it was obvious to most we were cooked.   Instead he doubled down and called for big cold/snows which was ridiculous in the end.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

He's probably not even warm enough-we've been averaging +2 to +2.5 in most of the winter months going back to 2015-16.  His mistake last year was not jumping ship once the January cold fizzled rather quickly.  At that point it was obvious to most we were cooked.   Instead he doubled down and called for big cold/snows which was ridiculous in the end.

I’d love to see him both stick with warmer than normal and also get it right. It would help his long range winter forecasting reputation, which has been hurting recently, immensely.

44 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

1/15 was my date to bail, and usually is in a decent Nino. Since they’re usually backloaded you wait to see if things turn around, but it was clear by then it would be the same Nina mid latitude pattern just with more STJ influence and rain. The W PAC forcing has to end or be overcome somehow before we meaningfully change. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

1/15 was my date to bail, and usually is in a decent Nino. Since they’re usually backloaded you wait to see if things turn around, but it was clear by then it would be the same Nina mid latitude pattern just with more STJ influence and rain. The W PAC forcing has to end or be overcome somehow before we meaningfully change. 

I'd agree...and JB seems to see it too-until the PAC changes it's alot of MJO 4-5-6 which is mild and wet for us. On the flip side the Nina is weaker so that could work in our favor a bit.

7 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd agree...and JB seems to see it too-until the PAC changes it's alot of MJO 4-5-6 which is mild and wet for us. On the flip side the Nina is weaker so that could work in our favor a bit.

I hope he holds onto his forecast this time and doesn’t bail to Wx Bell marketing and weenie related pressure. It is weaker than model consensus has it at this time, but Nino 3.4 has finally been steadily cooling recently with the help of a +SOI (finally). Also, keep in mind that the equivalent RONI is already near -0.7, solidly into weak Niña. It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with a moderate RONI based peak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

image.png.81f8840338b530db22317296831cadb9.png.b36abbd2284e68935295a04fab8c861d.png

-So, that’s for Nov-Mar as opposed to just DJF. Thus, we still don’t know what he has for DJF itself. If he has the warmest for N and M, DJF could be NN.

-But if we assume DJF would be similar, this implies ~+2F. That would mean ~38 vs 36 1991-2020 avg.

-A 38 DJF would still be significantly colder than the last 2, which were 40-40.5.

People have thin skins.    As long as no rules are being broken the poster should have full posting capabilities....just b/c people don't like warm/snowless calls isnt a reason for 5 PPD.   Granted it is in the style of how you post but that goes back to my original point here....

• Like 1