• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

Went to see the original in 1996 with my 11 year old niece... going to see the new one with that same niece who's now a 39 year old nurse who picked up the weather bug from me at an early age lol. She's mainly into severe weather, tornados, hail etc.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, doncat said:

Went to see the original in 1996 with my 11 year old niece... going to see the new one with that same niece who's now a 39 year old nurse who picked up the weather bug from me at an early age lol. She's mainly into severe weather, tornados, hail etc.

What did you think? Overall I thought decent but maybe not as good as the original 

On 7/20/2024 at 8:17 PM, Intensewind002 said:

Going to see Twisters tonight, should be fun. Im probably the only weather enthusiast never to have seen the original too haha

I never saw the original either, though I did do the ride with my son and wife twice at Universal...lol.

• Haha 1

For those who are interested, Joe Bastardi is continuing to point to a cold winter in the East. He used one specific run of the CFSv2.

image.png.c2491da077549e5ed64ad93bc438e3d5.png

Here's what the CFSv2 looks like on the NCEP page when using a fixed range of initialization cycles (one should not use a single initialization for the tool).

image.png.62f249365dc7045a2cc9b4efe7d3abbe.png

Of course, skill is low from this timeframe. Last year, the CFSv2 had the East near normal for Winter 2023-24. It turned out to be among the warmest winters on record.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

For those who are interested, Joe Bastardi is continuing to point to a cold winter in the East. He used one specific run of the CFSv2.

Here's what the CFSv2 looks like on the NCEP page when using a fixed range of initialization cycles (one should not use a single initialization for the tool).

Of course, skill is low from this timeframe. Last year, the CFSv2 had the East near normal for Winter 2023-24. It turned out to be among the warmest winters on record.

Thanks for posting this. He keeps posting specific next to impossible extreme cold Weather Bell CFS runs. Note that I said WeatherBell CFS runs rather than just CFS runs. The WB generated CFS maps are being run on seriously flawed algorithms. For one thing many have been showing SST anomalies consistent with a +PDO, including a 4000 mile long by 1000 mile wide of solid BN SSTa stretching from just E of Japan to just N of Hawaii! Other companies’ CFS runs always have the near opposite (strong -PDO)!

Notice on this 2m temp map what keeps showing up on about all of these very cold runs: whereas S Lake Michigan is near the coldest in the US the same runs practically ALWAYS have a small area of near normal in N Lake Michigan or just 250 miles to the NNE! And then they often go back to extreme cold just to the N in S Canada! They’re severely flawed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Don,
 Check the 0Z 7/23 WB CFS run below. It has the same pattern of extreme cold anomaly over S Lake Michigan (-8C/-14.4F) much warmer (normal) over N Lake Michigan, and back to very cold in S Canada (-4C/-7.2F):

IMG_0012.png

• Like 1

Humidity sucks though and now most of you should understand why I said we need to suck out about 20% of the water on this planet and move it to Mars or some other space colony.

The amount of water vapor in our atmosphere is literally sickening and we dont need 70% of our planet covered in water, 50% is just fine thank you very much.

This has not been a hot summer though.

The West has had the hot summer.

anyone who thinks this has been a hot summer, this has not been a hot summer.

We have had a total of 5 days of 90+ and the highest was 92.

The city only touched 95 one day.

• Weenie 4

On 7/25/2024 at 7:22 AM, LibertyBell said:

Humidity sucks though and now most of you should understand why I said we need to suck out about 20% of the water on this planet and move it to Mars or some other space colony.

The amount of water vapor in our atmosphere is literally sickening and we dont need 70% of our planet covered in water, 50% is just fine thank you very much.

This has not been a hot summer though.

The West has had the hot summer.

anyone who thinks this has been a hot summer, this has not been a hot summer.

We have had a total of 5 days of 90+ and the highest was 92.

The city only touched 95 one day.

It's been one of the hottest summers on record here.

40 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I would agree. There seems to be little objective evidence that this has "not been a hot summer" in the New York City metro area. It looks like it's top 3-5 to date at all of the local climate sites. I do note there's been a push on this forum to redefine what a hot summer is to strictly look at the number of 90+ days and/or to consider only one's subjective feelings rather than objective facts. But even with the 90+ metric, 2024 is doing pretty well in most places. 

At Central Park, only 18 years (dating to 1869) have had more days at or above 90F. And this is despite the encroaching jungle / shading of the ASOS. At Newark, only 10 years have had more days at or above 90F [3 of those 10 with just 1 more]. It's actually not normal for there to be constant 90s in the New York City area. If you think it is, you are misremembering.  Now, it is true that JFK has only had 2 such days, which is actually one of the lower tallies there. But that's not representative of much of the region.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:12 AM, JetsPens87 said:

I know, it sucks we were left out of all the fun.

I think there's a connection between inland hot summers and rain/snow lines in the winter.... might want to look into that.

JFK has had a measly 2 90 degree days all year and none in July.

Here on the south shore we have had 5 in total for the year and 2 in July.

I think the rain/snow line will set up the same way in the winter, expect a lot of changeover storms with the coast getting not more than 2-3 inches in any storm.  Just like the highest temps we've had this summer have been 91-92.

My hottest summers were 1983, 2002 and 2010.

Two of those were followed by great winters here too.

On 7/30/2024 at 8:51 AM, TheClimateChanger said:

I would agree. There seems to be little objective evidence that this has "not been a hot summer" in the New York City metro area. It looks like it's top 3-5 to date at all of the local climate sites. I do note there's been a push on this forum to redefine what a hot summer is to strictly look at the number of 90+ days and/or to consider only one's subjective feelings rather than objective facts. But even with the 90+ metric, 2024 is doing pretty well in most places. 

At Central Park, only 18 years (dating to 1869) have had more days at or above 90F. And this is despite the encroaching jungle / shading of the ASOS. At Newark, only 10 years have had more days at or above 90F [3 of those 10 with just 1 more]. It's actually not normal for there to be constant 90s in the New York City area. If you think it is, you are misremembering.  Now, it is true that JFK has only had 2 such days, which is actually one of the lower tallies there. But that's not representative of much of the region.

It's more than just that.  It's a very hot summer inland yes-- but NYC has had zero days higher than 95.  Here on Long Island it's even worse. No day hotter than 91-92 and JFK didn't have a single 90 degree day in July.

1983, 2002 and 2010 were all much much hotter for us.

Add in 1991 and 1993 for the city too.