Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

27 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

classic enhanced day bust incoming (many people are now saying this)

13 minutes ago, Euripides said:

Sigh as would just like a decent t-storm. It does not have to be severe.
Hoping to at least get some rain to add to the overnight batch for the trees and lawn.

Good morning Will  Euripides. It should work out if we can get this fellow to give a repeat performance. Stay hopeful, as always …..

IMG_0421.png

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, stemwinder said:

Overlooking the D&R Canal - Heard a Summer Cicada buzzing.  First time this year, as if we needed a reminder that it is high Summer.  

Yeah it's been mighty quiet in the cicada department.  Heard my first one last week.  Definitely  a solid reminder it's summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah it's been mighty quiet in the cicada department.  Heard my first one last week.  Definitely  a solid reminder it's summer.

Of all things, I definitely heard a katydid tonight.  To me, it's way ahead of schedule, but I may be misremembering things.  A sure sign of a warm summer.  Thing was yakking furiously, as it does on warm nights.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stemwinder said:

Of all things, I definitely heard a katydid tonight.  To me, it's way ahead of schedule, but I may be misremembering things.  A sure sign of a warm summer.  Thing was yakking furiously, as it does on warm nights.

Yeah it definitely is.  Usually they come out after my birthday in early August, and then you start hearing them more alongside the crickets too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FPizz said:

For many area's it rained 1 day for a few hours the first 4 days of the week.  

Sorry, the offiical forecast did not call for spotty isolated showers, and all the maps and projections on this site also showed a rather wet week.

Following the heavy rain that started the day, the clouds broke and it turned noticeably warmer in the afternoon. It will turn even hotter tomorrow. Early next week will likely be very hot and humid. Widespread 95°-100° high temperatures are likely Monday through Wednesday. Cooler air will arrive late in the week.

In parts of California, Nevada, and Arizona, a severe long-duration and dangerous heatwave continued to recede.

The latest summer guidance continues to suggest a warmer to much warmer than normal summer lies ahead.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was 0.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.3°C for the week centered around July 3. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.62°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.20°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the late summer or early fall.

The SOI was -2.77 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.261 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 80% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal July (1991-2020 normal). July will likely finish with a mean temperature near 79.9° (2.4° above normal). That would rank 2024 as the 10th hottest July on record.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:11 AM, MJO812 said:

Alot of sharks are popping up near out latitude

and yet Channel 11 "News"  had a "Shark Expert" saying that there were not a lot of sharks, at least close to shore.  The "expert" was all over the place, contradicting himself left and right.  When asked why the variability in sharks numbers near the beaches, he said he doesn't know, but there is a good reason and someday they will find out.  Then he said that sharks are not interested in humans, and the next sentence said if there is a shark near the beach to clear the water...

On 7/12/2024 at 12:39 PM, Brian5671 said:

Imagine getting eaten alive....

Pretty sure Peregrine strikes kill the victim, but beyond that, they usually start with the head, which kills quickly. However, other raptors are less considerate, so it is not unknown.