BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Frcst rn for tomorrow all but gone.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Over the past 2 days of forecasts, PoP has descended 70-60-50 and now 30%.  GYX generally doesn't make qpf calls beyond 3rd period, so tomorrow jut came in range and it's <0.10".

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

5 but who's counting.  This summer must be killing you. Everyone smilin but you and grumpy Tiger. Classic summer morning 58⁰ into the low 80s. Lock it up and in.

Tic toc never the Glock just some nuts and a COC
Then I step through the fog and I creep through the smog
'Cause I'm Snoop Doggy (Who?) Doggy (What?) Doggy (Dog)

You calling someone grumpy :lol:

11 hours ago, kdxken said:

Whatevs. Color me not concerned. By then we're halfway through meteorological summer and the step down is beginning. Couple warm days? we'll deal. Nothing can taint this epic summer!

Yeah, like when it is 50 and COC all December into January without a flake of snow.   We know it'll get cold in late January but by then, half of the winter is long gone.

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah, like when it is 50 and COC all December into January without a flake of snow.   We know it'll get cold in late January but by then, half of the winter is long gone.

It’s true.  We all know it.  No one robs Peter to pay Paul.  It just is a shorter season.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Just looking through things and definitely differences between that GFS OP and GEFS out there long range.

OP is a furnace.

7DD930A8-25D9-49A5-9AB3-D385B469AB40.thumb.png.8c44411a33ec6d493d57d83fe230193f.png

GEFS mean keeps weak troughing NW flow in the means.

25924BE8-9E4F-4650-B979-6C985A7B8A39.thumb.png.cd610d1b0c8de6c49db1b47d28e61546.png

I will say the EPS has a warm look too. It's not a lock, but that's warm.

There is something weird with the GFS and highly anomalously hot/cold patterns. It tends to get way overstated with heat and it also overstates extreme cold. Not sure if this applies across the board, but during those extreme cold blasts into say the Plains and even the Ohio Valley the GFS (MOS) will spit out like -20's for lows and the reality ends up being like -12. 

53 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Well, to be fair, I think there would be some skepticism if we had hit mid January with cold modeled in the long range after having had it either pushed back or not materializing all season to date.

I'm sure at some point it will get warmer and more humid, but when and how much is TBD.

I'll sell that modeled depiction. :lol:

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BOS: no
PVD: 7/1977
ORH: no
BDL: multiple but brief

I would be willing to bet that some of our highest dews likely come from residual tropical systems coming up the coast. I could be wrong here but didn't we see upper 70's dews when the remnants of Katrina passed to our west in 2005? 

30 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There is something weird with the GFS and highly anomalously hot/cold patterns. It tends to get way overstated with heat and it also overstates extreme cold. Not sure if this applies across the board, but during those extreme cold blasts into say the Plains and even the Ohio Valley the GFS (MOS) will spit out like -20's for lows and the reality ends up being like -12. 

I've been railing on about this for 5 years ... LOL

But, it's mostly on the cold side that it exhibits this tendency - will explain below how/why I believe it then lends to 'spiking' warmth too much. 

And...these are characteristics more observable out in time, giving the suggestion that it is time dependent. There appears to be an "accumulation" of colder heights over on the polar side of the ambient westerlies.  This causes the base-state gradient to become biased, ...which expresses in fast base-state geopotential wind velocities ( mid and upper levels).   

Faster velocities directly/physically force R-wave structures;  a general principle that immediately connotes the GFS may get a bit exuberant (heh) in setting up R-wave ordering.  The other aspect ...sometimes this means more x-coordinate stretching/placement of troughs, that need some 5 or 10 deg of longitude back peddling from 270 hours <--    

These big words make it sound almost like a big huge deal, but it's not - it's more like,...just enough to be really annoying.  Think of all this above in better terms of 'tendency to do so'/subtle.

But, subtle variances in the near terms, "butterfly" out in time?  So if the GFS has a 'decimal'-scaled problem with too much height falls, that wouldn't be very noticeable inside of 2 or 3 days...maybe not even 4.  But given a substantive passage of time, a cumulative effect becomes more observable.  So, if 'wave harmonics' ( destructive vs constructive) emerge different signals as a 2ndary product of all that maelstrom, the GFS tends to give these faux warm up(cool downs) because the superpositioning out in time was fake or baked to begin with.  

• Like 2