Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

23 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Snowpack gone. The most efficient pack-eater I’ve seen this area, this time of the year. Good news is it’s been replaced by grass—green grass. So could be worse.

Looks and feels like late March. Not a shock considering it’s looked and felt like this since Mowvember with very few exceptions. Weenies rather stay glued to comp monitors and models rather than take a walk outside and see what Mother Nature is saying.

I still have a 4 inch pack here. Snowing decently now too. Could be worse.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I still have a 4 inch pack here. Snowing decently now too. Could be worse.

It’s all relative of course. Under a foot all the way up there this time of the year is weak. 

You have deep winter climo so you’ll be fine going forward, regardless of the pattern. My comment was more about what’s transpired year to date.

• Like 1

Just now, jbenedet said:

It’s all relative of course. Under a foot all the way up there this time of the year is weak. 

You have deep winter climo so you’ll be fine going forward, regardless of the pattern. My comment was more about what’s transpired year to date.

This was nothing compared to last years Xmas grinch that wiped out feet of pack from NYC TO N MAINE, in one 12 hr period. That’s much more impressive than this soup we’ve all been in. 

• Weenie 1

The models at 500 are getting closer and closer to a phase with the northern stream, which would drastically increase the ceiling of this storm if it happens. The extremely powerful southern energy is already producing a big storm farther south on its own, but if the northern stream phases in? That would cause the low to undergo rapid cyclogenesis, and the low would indeed move north and west as it deepens, in my opinion more than any model is projecting. This close in I’m looking at the obs, and it looks like the precip out west is more expansive than the models suggested, which indicates possible initialization errors, with the models underestimating the strength of the southern low. This is why I don’t think even areas as far north as southern NH and Maine are out of the woods just yet (for a couple inches, not a big storm, due to fast flow there would be a limit). The earlier than expected deepening of the southern low and the slightly slower progression of it would give the northern stream a little bit more time to phase in, which would cause the trough to go negative, and cause the precip shield to expand more over all of eastern mass. This would result in many areas expected to get a coating or even nothing getting hammered with heavy snow, possibly over a foot. It is no guarantee, but I do think the probability of an earlier phase is much higher than the models suggest right now based on obs and the pattern in place. All it would take is one 30-40 mile adjustment north, which isn’t much at all. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

This was nothing compared to last years Xmas grinch that wiped out feet of pack from NYC TO N MAINE, in one 12 hr period. That’s much more impressive than this soup we’ve all been in. 

That was a good one. I still think this tops it though. 

There’s no way to tell for sure but my area had a shit ton of ice within the 4-6” snowpack that was here. Probably another 0.5” LE. It was a rock solid base that was not in any way captured by the volume of snow on the ground. 

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That was a good one. I still think this tops it though. 

There’s no way to tell for sure but my area had a shit ton of ice within the 4-6” snowpack that was here. Probably another 0.5” LE. It was a rock solid base that was not in any way captured by the volume of snow on the ground. 

I lost 30” in days last year. I’ve only lost a couple inches so far with this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Ya, that was my point to him.  Last years grinch melted pack like a flame thrower. While this soup misty fog is hideous, there’s No comparison imo to last years grinch in terms of melting ability. 

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Makes sense for your area, with the elevation and away from the coast. Cutters would do a lot more damage than a persistently easterly fetch off the relatively warm Gulf of Maine.

Not here. 

2 hours ago, jbenedet said:

How those warm SSTs for the mid Atlantic, Virginia, Maryland, NJ coast?
 image.png.557d52ef5fe750f62a956c25f6de55ba.png

• Haha 3