• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
New Years Storm System, Dec 30th - Jan 2nd

northpittweather

I understand what LOT is saying about the baroclinic zone/snow pack, but I am not sure in my opinion that the snow pack will have an influence on this particular storm track. For one, with several days of warmer air ahead of the system, we will likely have a dwindling snow pack, and with the models forecasting this system to be strengthening as it moves across the Midwest and eventually occluding, I think ultimately this baby is going to get pulled to the North and eventually Northwest.

Yeah the blowtorch from the gulf with all that moist air coming up will erode the snow in no time.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but you know how these La Nina's are down your way JoMo, I'd be happy with any snow you get because La Nina's from what I remember don't cash in for you down there.

Had a rooftop dusting this morning.

Depends on the storm track, 2007-2008 wasn't bad at all for a La Nina year.

Dec 8-10th big ice storm

Dec 15th, couple inches of snow

Jan 7th and 8th tornado outbreak

Jan 31st snowstorm

Feb 11th and 12th ice storm

Feb 21st, big ice storm

March 4th, odd couple of snow bands.

Depends on the storm track, 2007-2008 wasn't bad at all for a La Nina year.

Dec 8-10th big ice storm

Dec 15th, couple inches of snow

Jan 7th and 8th tornado outbreak

Jan 31st snowstorm

Feb 11th and 12th ice storm

Feb 21st, big ice storm

March 4th, odd couple of snow bands.

Yeah but that truly was an oddball La Nina.

It is about time for the post-Christmas thaw anyway... Just so long as the next couple of systems go S of the GL, and bring the snow back. If the SE ridiging persists, then it's going to be a wet couple of weeks.

It is about time for the post-Christmas thaw anyway... Just so long as the next couple of systems go S of the GL, and bring the snow back. If the SE ridiging persists, then it's going to be a wet couple of weeks.

I just advise everyone to take every threat with a grain of salt, both ways. It is going to be a LONG winter full of surprises, disappointments, and very few events that occur as the models actually predict they would. :arrowhead:

Yeah Josh I know you are a snow depth guy but I'm more of a snow amount guy, I'd take 3 +12" if they melted 5 days after over having snow on the ground all winter. In other words the 07-08 and 08-09 winters were awesome with big storms all winter even if it didn't stay on the ground for a long time.

I'm kinda both... I take the amount and add the total depth, then add the # of days with 2"+ depth, then add # of days with 12"+ depth (only 1 in the entire record for here). Incidentally the best winter was 1929/30, all of which was in the month of January (blows away any other single month). That winter was overall warmer, much drier, and slightly snowier than average, but January was amazing.

I just advise everyone to take every threat with a grain of salt, both ways. It is going to be a LONG winter full of surprises, disappointments, and very few events that occur as the models actually predict they would. :arrowhead:

If I have learned anything over the last couple of winters, it is that...

0z GFS is weak and fast. LOW goes right through Central Minny up to INT. Falls. Doesn't look like it gets past 997 mb or so, at least not until after it reaches Canada.

zips right along there doesn't it? Much different than the 12z, that's for sure... heh

0z GFS is weak and fast. LOW goes right through Central Minny up to INT. Falls. Doesn't look like it gets past 997 mb or so, at least not until after it reaches Canada.

I don't buy it, this pattern supports a much stronger system, we know a warm up is coming and when things mix together you get big storms

watch the 06z show a stronger storm once again

I don't buy it, this pattern supports a much stronger system, we know a warm up is coming and when things mix together you get big storms

watch the 06z show a stronger storm once again

eh, during the last 2-3 days, the GFS has shown a storm anywhere from as far south as Mexico to as far north as Canada. lol

Which run you look at? Tonight's 00z takes a low through WI into the UP, while dropping to under 985mb.

Edit never mind for some reason I got last nights run of the 00z :facepalm:

I think it's faster because that energy off the northwest coast at 138 is acting as a kicker. The 150, 12z GFS at the same time had this feature much farther to the north.

Yeah I'd question whether that latter thing will be a bigger system, although it kicks out the first then cuts off in the SW, would be a waste of 2 storms.

Yeah I'd question whether that latter thing will be a bigger system, although it kicks out the first then cuts off in the SW, would be a waste of 2 storms.

yeah I got a little excited when I saw that. First storm kicks out, drags a cold front through, second storm drops in and creates a big storm farther south.Then I saw it just cuts off and craps out. ah well...

DVN has my idea what would likely go on with this storm

THE MODELS WILL BE PLAYING CATCH UP TO WHAT EVENTUALLY HAPPENS AND WILL LIKELY BE TOO WEAK WITH THE OVERALL SYSTEM.NO ONE MODEL SOLUTION OR MODEL WILL HAVE A HANDLE ON THIS STORM SYSTEM AND IT WILL LIKELY TAKE ANOTHER 2-4 DAYS BEFORE THERE IS ANY CONVERGENCE IN MODEL SOLUTIONS. DPROG/DT TRENDS WITH THE GLOBAL MODELS SUGGEST A SLOWER ARRIVAL AND A SLIGHT TR...END TO THE SOUTH. THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL HAVE TO BE WATCHED CAREFULLY AS THERE IS A GOOD PROBABILITY THAT THIS WILL BE A HIGH IMPACT EVENT

Archived