Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

NAM is like -4C at 925mb along the pike....lol. That would be a scalp-peeling pelletfest here I think. Hoping for a tick colder aloft so it's more snow.

I could see pike all snow where DIT is in a battle between ZR/IP and snow; less mix the further north you go

The big question will be how long does the pattern last before the next warm up and when the next warmup does happen, how long will it be? I’m very optimistic based on what I see on the long range guidance. The pattern on the models looks very similar to the types of patterns we get in our snowier La Niña years. March 2018, Jan 2011, ect. We wasted a couple weeks of December in a mild and snowless pattern, but that is not a problem at all. Even 2-4 weeks of this pattern will likely produce at least 1 if not 2 Miller B storms that bring blizzard conditions to eastern Mass. 2018 we got a blizzard early Jan, then an extended thaw, then all hell broke loose in March and we had one severe 2 foot blizzard just days after a nor’easter that gave my area 8 or so inches of snow. That pattern lasted 4 weeks. If this one lasts 4 weeks then we will have a March 2018 pattern in JANUARY. Maybe the storm around Christmas doesn’t pan out, just like the first storm didnt pan out in early March 2018 (was rain because the temps were a bit too warm), but even if it doesn’t what is important is we will have plenty of chances.

Everything is lining up for a big winter, weak well coupled La Niña (likely peaks at about -.8 to -9), basin wide but biased east, so the structure of the La Niña is favorable. The MJO is going into phases 7 and 8, and the strong polar vortex that was the driving factor behind our mild first half of December is expected to stop deepening and start weakening. All great signs for not only this window, but windows of opportunity in Feb and March as well.

Anytime you get these scenarios with cold air drainage from a high pressure to the north there is always the concern for dry air to drain down as well, however, that doesn't appear to be a concern in this scenario. Also note how the ULJ develops moving through Saturday morning across the Northeast...going to be a great deal of upper-level divergence present. Given the lift we should have where it snows its really going to come down. 

• Thanks 1