BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Memory Lane

Rjay

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just now, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I'm a little weenie on New England/New York hurricanes, both of my parents remembered 1938 quite well, but a strong tropical storm with the Bermuda-Azores ridge building back in, well, not 1938, that is more likely in September or October, but a Hurricane Belle scenario, which I remembered and which, along with 1978 on Long Island, made me a lifelong Gen X weenie.  I try to contain my weenieness in the tropical forum threads.

NewEnglandCloseCall.png

• 2 weeks later...

10 years ago, 13.57" of rain fell at Islip, NY setting a new NY State 24 hour precipitation record. 11.19" fell in 3 hours from 5 am-8 am Aug 13. 1.76" of rain fell in just 15 min (5:39am-5:54am). Historic flooding occurred across heavily traveled highways on Long Island. We have a comprehensive review of the event at:

https://www.weather.gov/okx/HistoricFlooding_081314

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

10 years ago, 13.57" of rain fell at Islip, NY setting a new NY State 24 hour precipitation record. 11.19" fell in 3 hours from 5 am-8 am Aug 13. 1.76" of rain fell in just 15 min (5:39am-5:54am). Historic flooding occurred across heavily traveled highways on Long Island. We have a comprehensive review of the event at:

https://www.weather.gov/okx/HistoricFlooding_081314

Remember that like it was yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 12:14 PM, LibertyBell said:

wow and this year we had a summer Nemo version on close to the same day and in the same area that Nemo jackpotted.

Yeah, I would love to see a study performed as to why this area tends to jackpot with precipitation. Orographic in some way? 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 7:51 PM, LibertyBell said:

2002-03.... that's such an underrated winter that did well for a lot of people.

PD2 was also extremely underrated, rarely do you see a storm dump over 2 feet of snow in Baltimore, JFK AND BOSTON.

Those kind of widespread snowstorms seem to have become an endangered species.

That's what was special about PD2 and 2002-03 was snowy right from December through April.

A throwback winter just like 1995-96 (which from what I remember was also exceptional in the Midwest and East Coast.  We all had a "return to winter" arctic shot in February that was historic.)

We haven't had a true KU in a good while. I remember growing up just watching the Weather Channel for any information I could get on those storms. I may have been a geek.. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2024 at 1:05 PM, USCG RS said:

We haven't had a true KU in a good while. I remember growing up just watching the Weather Channel for any information I could get on those storms. I may have been a geek.. 

I can't stand The Weather Channel anymore.

They have those awful Blue Chew boner drug ads on there all the time.

No other network has those ads-- only The Weather Channel.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 8:30 PM, USCG RS said:

Yeah, I would love to see a study performed as to why this area tends to jackpot with precipitation. Orographic in some way? 

I'd agree with that plus it's on the north shore, so away from the ocean and in the middle of the island.  Everything points to that area as being the most favorable-- and you add elevation to it-- and it's a cinch.

The only time it doesn't jackpot is in strong el ninos, when we seem to jackpot on the south shore-- when we have an all snow snowstorm that is.

February 1983, PD2 and January 2016 are examples of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I can't stand The Weather Channel anymore.

They have those awful Blue Chew boner drug ads on there all the time.

No other network has those ads-- only The Weather Channel.

Considering the Chanel it could be need more than want. Hope all is well, Liberty. As always……

• Haha 1