• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
North Balti Zen

Looking around at river/creek flows in my area, MOST (not all) have managed to get near 25% to median of flow, way up from around the 10% mark of last week. I've had close to 3/4 inch in last 12 hours, and around 1.25-1.50" in last week. That is a start, it will take a LOT more to get them running/flowing like they should be at this point in the year, or we will fall right back down towards that 10% number.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, wxdude64 said:

Looking around at river/creek flows in my area, MOST (not all) have managed to get near 25% to median of flow, way up from around the 10% mark of last week. I've had close to 3/4 inch in last 12 hours, and around 1.25-1.50" in last week. That is a start, it will take a LOT more to get them running/flowing like they should be at this point in the year, or we will fall right back down towards that 10% number.

Happy for you................. I have had .40" in the past week and nothing in the past 24 hours.

• Sad 1

So, wife and I dug up/dumped the 'taters a while ago, they had laid over and died off about two weeks ago. We were concerned with all the rain (close to 2" in last 4 days) that they may start to rot due to the wet ground/dirt inside the bags. NOPE. Top 1 1/2 to 2 inches were wet, dry as a bone rest of the way thru the bags (20 gal) to the bottom. So just HOW dry was it before the previous 4 days? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

So, wife and I dug up/dumped the 'taters a while ago, they had laid over and died off about two weeks ago. We were concerned with all the rain (close to 2" in last 4 days) that they may start to rot due to the wet ground/dirt inside the bags. NOPE. Top 1 1/2 to 2 inches were wet, dry as a bone rest of the way thru the bags (20 gal) to the bottom. So just HOW dry was it before the previous 4 days? 

I have no idea (and perhaps I should dump this over in the MA gardening thread) but...are potatoes hard to grow? You had half soaked, and half dried out taters? Dear Lord. Maybe they're too hard to grow in VA...or at least in times of drought.  :( 

Lots of improvement for the SE half of the state. Things continue to get worse behind the Blue Ridge. DSCI for VA dropped overall since last week and should continue to do so, but not because of things happening in much of this subforum. @MN Transplant you can really see the "flash drought" in the statistics. 3 months ago the idea of being where we are now was laughable

image.thumb.png.d02d7da171fc6157e7ebda1ae7af1f2c.png

image.thumb.png.da7cbf99913ddd7d001cb0b6b4e01b5d.png

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I have no idea (and perhaps I should dump this over in the MA gardening thread) but...are potatoes hard to grow? You had half soaked, and half dried out taters? Dear Lord. Maybe they're too hard to grow in VA...or at least in times of drought.  :( 

Potatoes are easy to grow in Va.  I have been doing it for decades. 

Put seed potatoes in ground about May 1 and dig early August after vines have died down.

They need lots of rain or watering when blooming.

I have dug a big bushel in the past week and probably have another bushel to go.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stormy said:

Put seed potatoes in ground about May 1 and dig early August after vines have died down.

I have dug a big bushel in the past week and probably have another bushel to go.

I grow potatoes too down in Calvert.  I was not expecting them to do that well in the shade and clay soil but randomly I get quite a few every year.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stormy said:

I threw some old red-skinned taters I'd left in the pantry too long in a planter last summer. It went surprisingly well, was gifted with probably 3x what I started with 2 months later. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WolfStock1 said:

Forecast looking really nice next week for NoVA.   Finally some good relief.

I have high hopes but will only believe it when it's in the gauge. Of course, this extreme drought has to break at some point. It might as well snap next week.

2021 is my driest first 7 months in the past 40 years with 17.37",  followed closely by 2002 at 18.05"and this year at 18.80".

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...