• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
North Balti Zen

11 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Yes it is , somehow someway got almost nothing yesterday, today heavy rain to my SW, moving NE which normally is much better than coming from the W or NW... moving towards my area only to suddenly start falling apart... Since May 18th 6 weeks with just about 1.25

I'm right at 1.25" since right before Memorial Day.  At this point I don't know what can produce meaningful precipitation in the Valley anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm right at 1.25" since right before Memorial Day.  At this point I don't know what can produce meaningful precipitation in the Valley anymore.

Even worse shape at 0.64” here since memorial day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Primary would be a robust tropical system doing the job, tracking Wilmington/Crozet/Front Royal.

Mobile/Roanoke/Staunton would also work.

Beryl possibility Galveston/ Dallas/Nashville/Beckley would bring numerous showers but likely not as much qp as the other two.

• Like 1

DC and Arlington already had a city/county-wide boil water advisory last week because of an algae bloom in the Potomac (from hot/dry conditions).  Definitely concerned about the general water supply at this point.

I live about 200 yards from the South River in northern Waynesboro,  one of the main headwaters of the Shenandoah.. It's certainly way way lower than it normally is ( 1.25 precip last 7 weeks in my yard ) but surprisingly it dosent look as bad as the Rivanna River just over the mts in Albemarle, Charlottesville  if you are using any floatation devices you probably are just going in circles... The James River in Eastern Virginia is okay but  in Scottsville/ Howardsville in southern Albemarle coming up from Lynchburg - it looks awful, could clearly walk across/through it with no issues, which makes sense I guess since it's headwaters is in the central Valley...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

I live about 200 yards from the South River in northern Waynesboro,  one of the main headwaters of the Shenandoah.. It's certainly way way lower than it normally is ( 1.25 precip last 7 weeks in my yard ) but surprisingly it dosent look as bad as the Rivanna River just over the mts in Albemarle, Charlottesville  if you are using any floatation devices you probably are just going in circles... The James River in Eastern Virginia is okay but  in Scottsville/ Howardsville in southern Albemarle coming up from Lynchburg - it looks awful, could clearly walk across/through it with no issues, which makes sense I guess since it's headwaters is in the central Valley...

Currently at Wintergreen to golf a few days. The mountain course is in as bad a shape as I have ever seen it ( been coming here every few years for 30+ years). Fairways and greens have numerous brown spots. Tees were destroyed by something over the winter. As you said, they had no rain for a month and then a few sprinkles last week. And now the mountain is fogged in.

• Sad 1

I'm surprised no one posted last weeks drought monitor update - 90% of VA is now in moderate-to-severe drought.

That was last week's update, I believe the latest update should have already been posted, but hopefully it'll go up this afternoon. 

I'd expect the band running along 81 through Loudoun County that was "severe" last update, to become "extreme" - though one farm I have a PWS at received 1.2" in 30 minutes!!! (I believe 4th of July evening?) I live 5 miles away and got nothing more than a sprinkle, didn't even show up on my PWS there.

EDIT: WOW, I just checked Goose Creek's flow rate, and it's 0.00 as of 5:30AM this morning! Median is 35 CFS, the entire 1-week scale for the chart only goes up to 2.5 CFS.

goosecreekCFS.png

2 hours ago, EstorilM said:

I'm surprised no one posted last weeks drought monitor update - 90% of VA is now in moderate-to-severe drought.

That was last week's update, I believe the latest update should have already been posted, but hopefully it'll go up this afternoon. 

I'd expect the band running along 81 through Loudoun County that was "severe" last update, to become "extreme" - though one farm I have a PWS at received 1.2" in 30 minutes!!! (I believe 4th of July evening?) I live 5 miles away and got nothing more than a sprinkle, didn't even show up on my PWS there.

EDIT: WOW, I just checked Goose Creek's flow rate, and it's 0.00 as of 5:30AM this morning! Median is 35 CFS, the entire 1-week scale for the chart only goes up to 2.5 CFS.

goosecreekCFS.png

Was actually just talking to my buddy in Leesburg and were discussing the low water levels across much of northern VA. Dark red dots indicate <10% percentile of river/stream/creek gauge levels. Bright red indicate record lows for this date

real_va.png.59df8008d8c9bda0b50a8ae607aec470.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newman said:

Was actually just talking to my buddy in Leesburg and were discussing the low water levels across much of northern VA. Dark red dots indicate <10% percentile of river/stream/creek gauge levels. Bright red indicate record lows for this date

real_va.png.59df8008d8c9bda0b50a8ae607aec470.png

I live in Loudoun and i'm surprised to see people still watering their lawn

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stormy said:

The updated Drought Monitor places the 81 corridor from Staunton to Winchester in Extreme Drought

image.thumb.png.9a1a6642db29342e029ba90be155c923.png

2nd consecutive year we have gone through this, but this year it has been more intense it feels like...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

I wonder if I-81 will enter exceptional drought for the first time in 20+ years.

Probably not if guidance for next week is reasonably correct 

20 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

2nd consecutive year we have gone through this, but this year it has been more intense it feels like...

Last year April /May and August thru October were very dry. June and July were wet at my place.

This year I have received .43" the first 18 days of July. Last year I received 4.64" the first 18 days of July!

During the past week, southern portions of Augusta have received 1.00 - 2.00" of rain. I have received .09".

Currently, we are suffering an extreme agricultural drought. Hydrologically, we were worse last fall.

I was getting a bit worried about my well - wasn't sure how deep it is (it's not in county records), and also not sure how far down the water table is at my place.   Found this good site which shows a method for measuring:

https://sunshineworks.com/pages/measuring-your-static-water-level

- both the water level and the depth of the well.  Tried it and it worked great.  Was quite relieved to find that the water level was at 68 feet, but the bottom of the well is at last 160 feet (ended up running out of fishing line before reaching the bottom).

• Like 3

18 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Several trees have yellowed and dropped around here, I'm guessing from heat stress and dry conditions. 

Seeing this a WHOLE lot around these parts. On a somewhat related note...I remember when it got this dry several summers ago, and our neighbor's highly annoying maple tree (which deposits 95% of its spinners in my backyard) got stressed out and did NOT produce ANY spinners the following spring. Will be watching to see if that happens again...

• Like 1