Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

Just now, Lava Rock said:

How come York cty and southern NH get WSW, but north of there only WWA?

The watch is for the area we think still has a shot at 6" of snow. The advisory is for areas where we are pretty confident it will stay sub-warning snowfall, but because our neighbors all went with advisories already for Saturday, we kind of needed to fill in the map. 

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

The watch is for the area we think still has a shot at 6" of snow. The advisory is for areas where we are pretty confident it will stay sub-warning snowfall, but because our neighbors all went with advisories already for Saturday, we kind of needed to fill in the map. 

so despite being further south and possible more precip issues then north, is the reason they may get more snow due to greater storm intensity there?

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I thought the threshold for NNE was 7".

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

so despite being further south and possible more precip issues then north, is the reason they may get more snow due to greater storm intensity there?

The snow focus Friday is definitely southern NH. Saturday could be a whole different story, but we're treating the two events as separate, because there will be a noticeable break up this way.

Just now, 512high said:

Will the onset be "fluff" and then turn heavy towards nightfall?

I'm not sure it ever gets "heavy," but there could be a few bursts of around 0.5"/hr stuff Friday afternoon/early evening. I'm leaning towards better than climo ratios anyway. Mainly just a light to moderate, efficient snowfall event.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure it ever gets "heavy," but there could be a few bursts of around 0.5"/hr stuff Friday afternoon/early evening. I'm leaning towards better than climo ratios anyway. Mainly just a light to moderate, efficient snowfall event.

Yeah I expect like 3" of snowfall out of 9 hours of steady snow...that type of event. 

All in all not that different from the event the other day where it snowed all day long and into the night for about 3".

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

can one infer colder east to be 'sleetier' west or is it warm aloft for all?  I really don't want an ice issues.

I'm not convinced on that. The deeper cold air is NE not NW, so there is a better chance to retain enough surface cold to refreeze the farther NE you are. In my opinion right now anyway.

Archived